Question for Canes Legacy

Canedog

All ACC
Premium
No mail bag this week, but I have a question for you.

I’m an eternal Canes optimist, but a deep sense of foreboding has come over me as the North Carolina game draws nigh. Witch do you think will turn out to be the more accurate historical comparison as Coach Diaz leads the Canes north to battle the Tar Heels? General Custer leading his troopers out to Little Big Horn? Napoleon marching his army to Waterloo?

Or, do you believe that, like Admiral Nimitz at the Battle of Midway, Coach Diaz will surprise the enemy and win a decisive victory?

Advertisement
More like the ******* of Constantinople
Video Games Basketball GIF

Advertisement
No mail bag this week, but I have a question for you.

I’m an eternal Canes optimist, but a deep sense of foreboding has come over me as the North Carolina game draws nigh. Witch do you think will turn out to be the more accurate historical comparison as Coach Diaz leads the Canes north to battle the Tar Heels? General Custer leading his troopers out to Little Big Horn? Napoleon marching his army to Waterloo?

Or, do you believe that, like Admiral Nimitz at the Battle of Midway, Coach Diaz will surprise the enemy and win a decisive victory?
It’s the Battle of Tsushima. We’re the Russians strolling on into enemy territory thinking that we’re somehow still respectable even though we haven’t been relevant in a while (aka the Russian navy), and we’ll be soundly and strategically embarrassed by a smarter, faster, and better prepared team (Japanese navy). The Russians sunk 3 of the Japanese ships while losing 28 before limping back home, a broken collection of has-beens.

It’s the Battle of Tsushima. We’re the Russians strolling on into enemy territory thinking that we’re somehow still respectable even though we haven’t been relevant in a while (aka the Russian navy), and we’ll be soundly and strategically embarrassed by a smarter, faster, and better prepared team (Japanese navy). The Russians sunk 3 of the Japanese ships while losing 28 before limping back home, a broken collection of has-beens.
An important historical battle for many reasons, not the least of which being that it was the first naval battle in which wireless technology played a major factor. The Japanese designed their own system and were able to operate it almost flawlessly while the Russian has purchased their wireless system from the Germans and had a lot of difficulty using it.

That, and the fact that the Japanese navy was much better trained and prepared, as @Canes Legacy mentioned, led to a total annihilation.

I’m a WWI nut and many, including Barbara Tuchman in the seminal work “The Guns of August” (in my opinion the best WWI book in terms of showing why the war happened and an easy read) argue that the Japanese routed the Russians so badly that it destabilized the entire continent and directly led to the path of war.

Let’s hope that this battle is equally as destabilizing for the traditional power and leads to change on a grand scale as well!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
An important historical battle for many reasons, not the least of which being that it was the first naval battle in which wireless technology played a major factor. The Japanese designed their own system and were able to operate it almost flawlessly while the Russian has purchased their wireless system from the Germans and had a lot of difficulty using it.

That, and the fact that the Japanese navy was much better trained and prepared, as @Canes Legacy mentioned, led to a total annihilation.

I’m a WWI nut and many, including Barbara Tuchman in the seminal work “The Guns of August” (in my opinion the best WWI book in terms of showing why the war happened and an easy read) argue that the Japanese routed the Russians so badly that it destabilized the entire continent and directly led to the path of war.

Let’s hope that this battle is equally as destabilizing for the traditional power and leads to change on a grand scale as well!

Well done

Advertisement
Back