Question about Jake Garcia's health

CDWright40

@jbcanes-nc is *** for Zelenskyy.
Premium
If this has been discussed elsewhere I apologize.

Listening to the Orange Bowl Boys podcast they said they had seen pictures of Jake in a boot and using crutches on campus this week.

Was this a joke- did not sound like they were joking- Anyone know anything?

Advertisement
Advertisement
You think TVd and Jake get equal time first half and hot hand second half or is this TvDs game to win or lose.

That’s the $1M question for me too. I really have no idea, I would think that they go in with a plan to start TVD and give him the first 2 series and then put Jake in. But I don’t see these kids at practice every day and probably just as importantly, in film study/meeting rooms. IMO if they’re truly close to equal in the staff’s eyes, that’s the best plan. I think if you see TVD start and play the whole game, assuming he plays well but not lights-out, that tells me either Jake isn’t healthy or they just trust TVD more.

But I’d love to see them both get a shot. Give TVD 2 series. As long as he’s not like 8/8 with 2 TDs, give Jake the 3rd series and see how he responds.

Advertisement
loop tricks GIF

That’s the $1M question for me too. I really have no idea, I would think that they go in with a plan to start TVD and give him the first 2 series and then put Jake in. But I don’t see these kids at practice every day and probably just as importantly, in film study/meeting rooms. IMO if they’re truly close to equal in the staff’s eyes, that’s the best plan. I think if you see TVD start and play the whole game, assuming he plays well but not lights-out, that tells me either Jake isn’t healthy or they just trust TVD more.

But I’d love to see them both get a shot. Give TVD 2 series. As long as he’s not like 8/8 with 2 TDs, give Jake the 3rd series and see how he responds.
Its a good take and I believe the likely scenario as well. I just hate playing by a formula. For example- Lashlee calls 2 running plays and on third down TVD hits harley in the chest for a first down and he drops it. Not TVD's fault but he is now one series away from watching. I like both QBs and want the job decided on the field though so your take may be best case

Can’t see a scenario where QB1 starts off strong and gets pulled for QB2.

This offense has been too sporadic for that
Exactly we all hope this will be the case. I’m also of the opinion that the Garcia thing is a little more than precautionary. Not saying it’s serious enough to miss more than tomorrow’s game or anything, but I’ve been in a precautionary boot in between games before and I didn’t get crutches. Hope I’m wrong though.

Advertisement
Boots are typically for a sprain that can be mild to severe. Severe will usually come with crutches. Gametime comes, if it's mild they'll wrap it. I don't know if he wears low or high top boots, but if it's severely wrapped with a lot of tape they'll typically wear a higher shoe.

Either way, saying precautionary doesn't mean a thing. There's an issue and how are they addressing it. No crutches, mild strain likely.

Advertisement
Its a good take and I believe the likely scenario as well. I just hate playing by a formula. For example- Lashlee calls 2 running plays and on third down TVD hits harley in the chest for a first down and he drops it. Not TVD's fault but he is now one series away from watching. I like both QBs and want the job decided on the field though so your take may be best case

I hear you, but you put that into your notes if you're Lashlee. If Jake doesn't blow you away in his two series, you go back to TVD. I just think that, assuming they are essentially equal to the staff, you have to give both kids a shot when the bullets are live. And I'm not talking about Central Connecticut State. That's less significant than a practice. IMO, again assuming you truly can't separate them in practice and taking account that neither kid has any real experience, give them both a shot on national TV. The game being home makes that easier as well. If TVD cracks Harley's sternum with a laser but he drops it, as you come off the field you make sure he understands that you're pleased with how he's playing, and you give the other kid a shot to see what he can do. After that, go from there.

Bottom line, there's really no right or wrong way to play this. It's a good problem to have. I just think you have 2 really talented kids who both probably deserve a shot. Give it to them. You're almost a TD favorite at home, 1-2 series shouldn't kill you. Let's see what the kids can do when the lights are on.

I hear you, but you put that into your notes if you're Lashlee. If Jake doesn't blow you away in his two series, you go back to TVD. I just think that, assuming they are essentially equal to the staff, you have to give both kids a shot when the bullets are live. And I'm not talking about Central Connecticut State. That's less significant than a practice. IMO, again assuming you truly can't separate them in practice and taking account that neither kid has any real experience, give them both a shot on national TV. The game being home makes that easier as well. If TVD cracks Harley's sternum with a laser but he drops it, as you come off the field you make sure he understands that you're pleased with how he's playing, and you give the other kid a shot to see what he can do. After that, go from there.

Bottom line, there's really no right or wrong way to play this. It's a good problem to have. I just think you have 2 really talented kids who both probably deserve a shot. Give it to them. You're almost a TD favorite at home, 1-2 series shouldn't kill you. Let's see what the kids can do when the lights are on.
I like that.

Are you concerned with how little we pushed the ball downfield in the passing game against CCSU? Like you said, it was less than a scrimmage and it was a great opportunity to see what Jake and tyler excel at and are comfortable with and I felt there were way to many pop passes, WR screens RB screens and behind the line of scrimmage throws. We wont beat an ACC team not named Duke with a passing game like that IMO.

The real question I have is whether Garcia got any reps in practice. If yes, he will be ready if called upon. If not, freshman Garcia won’t touch the field.

Speaking of Garcia, there is a great seafood restaurant by the Miami river near downtown Miami called Garcia’s, not far from the old Orange Bowl. I ate there a lot before or after games when we had the 58 game winning steak. hopefully, this new Jake Garcia gives me more good Canes memories

Advertisement
Back