Quarterback Offer Rewind: Jarren Williams

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
The Central Gwinnett High School Black Knights in Lawrenceville, Georgia were gallantly led by a field monarch in Jarren Williams. Before ultimately switching his commitment from Kentucky and inking with the Miami Hurricanes, this gridiron king showed a refined quarterbacking skill set. Throwing 28 touchdowns his senior year and rushing for an additional ten, CanesinSight compiles the stats, checks the boxes and goes full rewind in this addition's quarterback offer break down.

Jarren Williams HUDL

Footwork/Rhythm: Works from various platforms and shows efficacy from all. Very well trained front foot in terms of distance and speed. Does not over stride and stays very tall after delivery. This is a very good prospect in terms of footwork. Rhythm is outstanding. Shows good anticipation and will throw on the receiver's break. This is a quarterback who does not need to "see" the receiver open, he "throws" them open.

Accuracy/Arm Strength/Mechanics: Very nice catch-able ball. Accuracy noted Senior year at .615% Noted many run after the catch potential receptions and Williams is not limiting his receivers in this area. Good touch on deep balls which show ideal placement outside and away from the safeties. Very nice arm strength down field. 8/10. Shows the ability to hit wide side outs and the offensive coordinator has a lot of the route tree in play. Ultimately comfortable with Williams making all the necessary throws on the next level. Arm Mechanically he has a very compact stroke and gets to "Zero" effortlessly. Relational to the rotation force he puts on the ball vs how little he needs to do to accomplish velocity is impressive.

Mobility: Will list Williams as a dual threat although he shows some really good refined pro style pocket passing ability. Ten rushing touchdowns his senior year amassing 554 yards rushing, Williams has the ability to factor in both zone read and power concepts. I wouldn't necessarily have to spy Williams every play as a defensive coordinator but in the same token you can't forget that he could chunk you up on the ground either. Good feel in the pocket and escapes the pressure well.

Roman Rank: Personally I do not think I have ever noted someone to improve as much as Williams did from junior to senior year. A charted low/mid three star the year before ultimately made quite the name for himself. The Williams senior year hype train picked up steam which culminated a last stop as a Fat Head for the world to see on ESPN's College Game Day.

Combine the young man's hard work and determination and couple it with the Georgia area's pedigree for producing high level high school quarterbacks, it clicked. It is not often you see quarterbacks at the high school level throw with so much anticipation and possess such a resounding command of his offense. Williams throws his receivers open. He has great footwork and a **** strong arm. He can make plays and improvise and is tactically wise when he does.

Finally the elephant in the room quarterback rewind question is answered. Williams will rate higher out of high school over N'kosi Perry. The more you watch the more you sense Williams just understood the position better and where the ball should go on more of a consistent basis. When Williams ran for yardage, it was byproduct of a run call or ultimately because the pocket broke down and he needed to make something happen. Williams looks to pass first and he plays the position with authority. Miami got a good one with Williams. Roman Rank 4.4 stars.

Advertisement
Advertisement
For a comparison I think Jarren's game reminds me a ton of Chad Swag Kelly. I'd take that production with Jarren's character

Advertisement
The more I read about this kid, watch his film, and hear about his work ethic, the more I genuinely believe he will be the starter at some point this season. It has been a while since we've had this type of prospect at the QB position. The QB room is finally starting to be compatible with the other skill positions on the offensive side of the ball.

The more I read about this kid, watch his film, and hear about his work ethic, the more I genuinely believe he will be the starter at some point this season. It has been a while since we've had this type of prospect at the QB position. The QB room is finally starting to be compatible with the other skill positions on the offensive side of the ball.
I agree @reg. This young man is serious and perfecting his craft.

Agree completely. Since the spring I have felt that Williams will unquestionably be the man. The question is when. With Williams's talent, maturity, work ethic and character I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him win the job in fall camp. Regardless of when he wins the job, the bottom line is that Williams is the real deal(IMO) and with the weapons we are amassing at WR, TE and RB We are going to be both exciting to watch and nearly impossible to defend. I honestly think that Jarren Williams will be the next QB to lead this team to a national title.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Williams or Perry is a nice dilemma to have.
Don't sleep on Weldon either. As the saying goes.....things are a changing!

Advertisement
Man, I agree with you guys. Somebody put a whole game on the board last year before he even showed up. I started thinking OK let's give Perry his two, **** shirt on Williams and then we're set for two or three more but then there was spring.

Advertisement
Back