Quarterback Offer Breakdown: Spencer Rattler

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Spencer Rattler is currently committed to the Oklahoma Sooners and they have a **** good one on their hands. This 6'2" 180 pound dynamic dealer of the football threw for 3946 yards and 45 touchdowns last year. Realistically Rattler doesn't have Miami currently high in consideration but InSight crosses all the T's and dots all the I's in 2019. We save the best for last in this final quarterback breakdown.

Spencer Rattler HUDL

Footwork/Rhythm: Excellent footwork for the high school level. Very quick in his drop and has great front stride. Will remain tall and balanced after throws and his reset game and gather is superb. No extra hitch steps noted. Does not over stride. Rattler's rhythm for the game is superb. Balls are perfectly delivered repeatedly on time. Rattler would have zero issues assimilating into a west coast offense predicated on precise rhythmic delivery of the football.

Accuracy/Arm Strength/Mechanics: In terms of accuracy, Rattler went into my kid's piggy bank and stole all of his dimes. Places the ball in perfect position that only his receiver can catch. Rattler makes tight window throws with utmost confidence and relative ease. Accuracy his JR year was charted at .649 Rattler is also adept at throwing on the break and throwing his receiver open. Rattler throws the ball in excess of 60 yards on film and hits the 50 mark with relative ease and no huge load or gather. Rattler could also factor well in any vertical passing scheme and has excellent touch on his deep ball. Jr year shows a much more repeatable delivery of the football and his quick release would make a cheetah blush.

Mobility: Although Rattler is listed as a pro style quarterback (250 rushing in 2017) he easily could classify as a dual threat. He has good lateral burst and juke ability and is in appearance very slippery for defenders to contain. Multiple long runs were noted and he could factor in any zone read concept. Defensive coordinators would need to spy on occasions. Outside the pocket he creates plays and has an innate feel when to do so.

Roman Rank: Jealous. This is a high level functioning quarterback who looks off defenders, pump fakes and delivers the ball with absolute precision. The thing I find the most impressive from Rattler is his ability to see the whole field. He will elude defenders, roll to his right and find a wide open receiver on the other side of the field. Not that you can test tangibly off film, but I would safely bet money Rattler has excellent peripheral vision. Rattler also shows some moxy. The vibe is that this is a type of kid who would throw a game winning TD on the road vs the Seminoles and Tomahawk chop it on the 50 yard line.

I would also like for Rattler's offensive coordinator to take a bow. This guy needs to get a job on the next level. This is one of the more diversified formation-ally based pro offenses you will come across on the high school level. 22 set motion, I formation, empty and roll into a "I don't know what to call this formation." In multiple instances the whole offensive line is on one side of the field and just the center and Rattler are in the middle of the field. Rattler's athleticism is in full display in these sets. This is short yardage rush flag football-esque with no blocking and Rattler evades defenders with ease.

Rattler is an elite prospect in my eyes and I will grab a big bag of popcorn when his senior campaign film highlights are done. Ultimately Rattler is deserving of that U offer (every offer for that matter) and whoever ultimately inks this prospect's name come signing day has something special. Roman Rank 5.0 Stars (That is not an easy thing to do)

Advertisement
This is why you you gotta recruit Qbs like 2-3 yards out. We offered him when he's already committed to Oklahoma.

Normally I'd say yeah obviously you go for guys no matter who they're committed to, but with Qbs, its just different. They commit earlier and are much less likely to decommit.

I hear what you are saying. I personally like 2-3 years out. 2-3 yards out I prefer the jumbo package and not throwing fade routes to sub 5'9" receivers. ;)

This is why you you gotta recruit Qbs like 2-3 yards out. We offered him when he's already committed to Oklahoma.

Normally I'd say yeah obviously you go for guys no matter who they're committed to, but with Qbs, its just different. They commit earlier and are much less likely to decommit.
He committed to Oklahoma in June of 2017, we offered him in November of 2016.

I hear what you are saying. I personally like 2-3 years out. 2-3 yards out I prefer the jumbo package and not throwing fade routes to sub 5'9" receivers. ;)
lol.
But seriously though, if Richt has Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley on the field in the redzone formations again throwing them jump balls I'm gunna lose my ****.

Thats for Ahmmon, Cager, Njoku, Hightower, Langham, and the Tes. ..

Advertisement
He committed to Oklahoma in June of 2017, we offered him in November of 2016.
Thought we offered him this November.
for offering him such a long time ago it seems like I haven't heard literally anything about him. Seems like they initially were targeting zamar wise as the top guy at first or something..

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante

Great analysis as always. Would love to sign a kid like this. Off topic but I wanted to get your opinion on another Oklahoma QB recruit Cameron Rising. I believe Rising will be a true freshman this season. When I first saw his film a couple of years ago I was very impressed. I'm curious to hear what you think about him as a prospect.

lol.
But seriously though, if Richt has Jeff Thomas and Mike Harley on the field in the redzone formations again throwing them jump balls I'm gunna lose my ****.

Thats for Ahmmon, Cager, Njoku, Hightower, Langham, and the Tes. ..

I think Bill Belichick and Tom Brady would disagree with this assessment. They have been throwing to 5 foot receivers for years in the red zone and it works for them. My "eyes" tell me the problem lies with the QB. With the exception of the throw to Langham in the FSU game, he throws a terrible fade route.

Last edited:
I think Bill Belichick and Tom Brady would disagree with this assessment. They have been throwing to 5 foot receivers for years in the read zone and it works for them. My "eyes" tell me the problem lies with the QB. With the exception of the throw to Langham in the FSU game, he throws a terrible fade route.
The difference however is that when Belichick and Brady do it they are not throwing up jump balls. Brady is throwing short quick passes into the bubble of the defense. The Patriots use a lot of motion, misdirection and overall sleight of hand in their goal line passing game.

Advertisement
I think Bill Belichick and Tom Brady would disagree with this assessment. They have been throwing to 5 foot receivers for years in the read zone and it works for them. My "eyes" tell me the problem lies with the QB. With the exception of the throw to Langham in the FSU game, he throws a terrible fade route.
Actually, no they haven't, or maybe you just forgot that they literally had Randy Moss and Rob ******* Gronkowski, who is literally ALWAYS split out wide in the redzone. Try again

Secondly, if the Patriots shorter WRs are on the field in the Redzone, I can tell you for a ******* fact they aren't throwing jump balls/fades to them. Its basically always a slant or out. Or straight up crossing route in the back of the endzone

@Roman Marciante

Great analysis as always. Would love to sign a kid like this. Off topic but I wanted to get your opinion on another Oklahoma QB recruit Cameron Rising. I believe Rising will be a true freshman this season. When I first saw his film a couple of years ago I was very impressed. I'm curious to hear what you think about him as a prospect.

Ah Cameron Rising. Another great Oklahoma commit at one point with a great name. (Rising eventually flipped his commitment and signed with Texas) I really did like his ball game as well. Ultimately though I think it worked out for Oklahoma because I think Spencer Rattler is the better overall prospect. (If he inks)

But in comparison to someone we were linked to early last cycle, I had Rising listed above Casey Thompson. Ultimately Thompson had the "numbers" stats wise, but I did not walk away overly impressed from a skill set standpoint. Rising had a better arm, frame and release for me.

I had Rising a solid 4 star prospect in the rankings for me.

Actually, no they haven't, or maybe you just forgot that they literally had Randy Moss and Rob ******* Gronkowski, who is literally ALWAYS split out wide in the redzone. Try again

Secondly, if the Patriots shorter WRs are on the field in the Redzone, I can tell you for a ******* fact they aren't throwing jump balls/fades to them. Its basically always a slant or out. Or straight up crossing route in the back of the endzone

This is true. My point was personnel is not the problem. It appears that the problem may be play calling, which I think is due to the lack of confidence Richt has in his QB.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This true. My point was personnel is not the problem. It appears that the problem may be play calling, which I think is due to the lack of confidence Richt has in his QB.
Either way, we better not have short dudes running fades, and honestly shouldn't even have them in in the redzone.
Sorry but Thomas and Harley are not better than Ahmmon and Cager in the redzone. I wouldn't even say they're better than Hightower, Langham, Njoku, or Mallory.

We got some Redzone Studs, we just gotta use them right.

Ah Cameron Rising. Another great Oklahoma commit at one point with a great name. (Rising eventually flipped his commitment and signed with Texas) I really did like his ball game as well. Ultimately though I think it worked out for Oklahoma because I think Spencer Rattler is the better overall prospect. (If he inks)

But in comparison to someone we were linked to early last cycle, I had Rising listed above Casey Thompson. Ultimately Thompson had the "numbers" stats wise, but I did not walk away overly impressed from a skill set standpoint. Rising had a better arm, frame and release for me.

I had Rising a solid 4 star prospect in the rankings for me.
Thanks for the scouting report on the all alias team. Rising is second team to Rattler but still okay to use in a bar in a pinch. I really enjoy your scouting reports. If you run out of QB's to break down maybe you can give your thoughts on other position groups. Go Canes.

Advertisement
Back