Quarterback Offer Breakdown: Evan Prater

View as article

Roman Marciante

Sophomore
Premium
Evan Prater is an athletically gifted signal caller from Wyoming. That's the high school not the state. The South West Ohio district offensive player of the year definitely has some up side and classifies as a dual threat on the next level. The 6'5" prototypical frame is ideal so lets go big boy. Let's fire up the film and see what we got. InSight quarterback film room is open for another session.

Footwork/Rhythm. Inconsistent in the area of footwork. Has a propensity to fire out multi-directional and found him leaking right unabated to pressure while throwing left and vice versa. Will not always use his lower half on deep throws and his weight distribution on throws can improve. Rhythm throws can also improve. Ultimately the QB drop to wide receiver route relationship is disjointed. Would classify some balls late and can anticipate the break a bit better. Does show some in rhythm throws and on time tendency as well.

Accuracy. .638 completion % his junior year and has a 28 to four touchdown to interception ratio. Some good ball placement noted, some not so good ball placement and decisions noted. Think a direct correlation to footwork will improve him further with accuracy. Arm Strength. Good arm strength. With his frame and development I can see a big jump in this area. Noted a 50 yard throw essentially flat footed with a 3 inch front stride. Has the capability to put it on his wide receivers in a hurry when necessary. Arm Mechanics. Repeatable however some variable tendencies tied into his footwork. Would classify him as a rather natural thrower of the football.

Mobility. Very good mobility and getty-up for his height. Has the ability to make defenders miss and factors well in the quarterback run game capacity. His offense specifically designed runs for him and he has excelled with 35 rushing touchdowns credited in his high school career. Prater can extend plays outside the pocket and seems to sense the rush well. Mobility is a stronger aspect of his game.

Clips

Roman Rank.
I see some potential here with Prater. Obviously his 6'5" frame and mobility are very apparent on film. He has very good athleticism for his size and has a really good control over his body once in space. As a refined quarterback however? The young man definitely can improve on some things into his senior year. Footwork is King. If Prater can learn that the crown lies in the feet I think he has another level and that is what OC and Quarterback developer Dan Enos must be seeing.

Rhythm? I will give him a little bit of a pass. His best throw was a comeback and that was the mint standard I highlighted on one of the clips. His footwork was reigned in, he anticipated the break and it was a brilliantly placed ball. Just seems like the OC can help him out a bit more with the qb drop relationship with his receivers. Next level that sort of thing becomes a bit of a premium.

Lastly I have some concerns with some of the comp he's facing in that film. Maybe I am spoiled watching so much South Florida film. I saw a cornerback literally get lost by 10 yards when all the receiver did was throw a hap hazard stem step at him. Not Prater's fault at all. Just worth noting. Ultimately this will be a development in progress as the young man is set to step on campus soon and visit the Hurricanes. As always we wish him well and an injury free senior season. Roman Rank 3.4 stars

Advertisement
Evan Prater is an athletically gifted signal caller from Wyoming. That's the high school not the state. The South West Ohio district offensive player of the year definitely has some up side and classifies as a dual threat on the next level. The 6'5" prototypical frame is ideal so lets go big boy. Let's fire up the film and see what we got. InSight quarterback film room is open for another session.

Footwork/Rhythm. Inconsistent in the area of footwork. Has a propensity to fire out multi-directional and found him leaking right unabated to pressure while throwing left and vice versa. Will not always use his lower half on deep throws and his weight distribution on throws can improve. Rhythm throws can also improve. Ultimately the QB drop to wide receiver route relationship is disjointed. Would classify some balls late and can anticipate the break a bit better. Does show some in rhythm throws and on time tendency as well.

Accuracy. .638 completion % his junior year and has a 28 to four touchdown to interception ratio. Some good ball placement noted, some not so good ball placement and decisions noted. Think a direct correlation to footwork will improve him further with accuracy. Arm Strength. Good arm strength. With his frame and development I can see a big jump in this area. Noted a 50 yard throw essentially flat footed with a 3 inch front stride. Has the capability to put it on his wide receivers in a hurry when necessary. Arm Mechanics. Repeatable however some variable tendencies tied into his footwork. Would classify him as a rather natural thrower of the football.

Mobility. Very good mobility and getty-up for his height. Has the ability to make defenders miss and factors well in the quarterback run game capacity. His offense specifically designed runs for him and he has excelled with 35 rushing touchdowns credited in his high school career. Prater can extend plays outside the pocket and seems to sense the rush well. Mobility is a stronger aspect of his game.

Clips

Roman Rank. I see some potential here with Prater. Obviously his 6'5" frame and mobility are very apparent on film. He has very good athleticism for his size and has a really good control over his body once in space. As a refined quarterback however? The young man definitely can improve on some things into his senior year. Footwork is King. If Prater can learn that the crown lies in the feet I think he has another level and that is what OC and Quarterback developer Dan Enos must be seeing.

Rhythm? I will give him a little bit of a pass. His best throw was a comeback and that was the mint standard I highlighted on one of the clips. His footwork was reigned in, he anticipated the break and it was a brilliantly placed ball. Just seems like the OC can help him out a bit more with the qb drop relationship with his receivers. Next level that sort of thing becomes a bit of a premium.

Lastly I have some concerns with some of the comp he's facing in that film. Maybe I am spoiled watching so much South Florida film. I saw a cornerback literally get lost by 10 yards when all the receiver did was throw a hap hazard stem step at him. Not Prater's fault at all. Just worth noting. Ultimately this will be a development in progress as the young man is set to step on campus soon and visit the Hurricanes. As always we wish him well and an injury free senior season. Roman Rank 3.4 stars

Outstanding work Roman! Thank you for your assessment.

Advertisement

Clips

Roman Rank. I see some potential here with Prater. Obviously his 6'5" frame and mobility are very apparent on film. He has very good athleticism for his size and has a really good control over his body once in space. As a refined quarterback however? The young man definitely can improve on some things into his senior year. Footwork is King. If Prater can learn that the crown lies in the feet I think he has another level and that is what OC and Quarterback developer Dan Enos must be seeing.

Where would u rank him amongst the other QB offers?

Thanks for the breakdown Roman, it certainly helps me learn what we should be looking at in terms of QB’s besides zip on the ball and their stats. I do like Prater but wonder if OSU comes calling if he will land there instead?

Advertisement
Thanks for the breakdown Roman, it certainly helps me learn what we should be looking at in terms of QB’s besides zip on the ball and their stats. I do like Prater but wonder if OSU comes calling if he will land there instead?

OSU has their QB. Jack Miller, 4*, top-100 Pro-style kid from Arizona

Advertisement
Back