Quarterback Day! Media availablility Tuesday 4/6

Advertisement
If the quarterbacks are battling each other, no matter who thinks which quarterback is ahead, it can only be good.

All I can say at this point, is that I really like the fact that Garcia came in super ready to work, and seems to be ready to make a significant contribution - at least as far as practice and spring games. Apparently, he’s pushing everyone.

Of course none of these guys has taken a real college snap yet, with the exception of TVD who’s taken just a handful that don’t really mean anything, so we won’t really know what we have until one or multiple of these guys get into real games.

But I’ll say this, this quarterback room feels different, and for the better, at least so far.

I'd have to rewatch, but i thought McCloud was effective in the bowl game. I don't believe he got a sack, but i seem to remember he was applying pressure. I think he had the most pressures of our DE's that game.

I haven't re-watched either. Zero interest in doing so.
I vaguely remember he had one tipped pass that Couch picked off that the zebras missed and got us on a BS PI penalty instead, but he lost outside contain on the QB or RB at least 2-3 times during the game, too.
I just looked up his stat sheet for the game on E$PN and it was 2 tackles, 0 TFLs, 0 sacks, 0 QB hurries. Only 3 QB hurries for the entire team on the day....

Advertisement
mcloud has been impressive in camp. he has exceeded what I thought he would do at his new position. I would not be surprised if he at least gets 5 sacks, probably 8. you should be rooting for him. moving from linebacker will be good for us and him.
Agree!

I don’t see it. You haven’t seen any of them throw one pass other than in a few seconds highlights, and you’re saying this. You’re jumping the gun. He sounds impressive, and he may end up passing him, but it hasn’t happened yet.
There’s no leaders , it’s a battle that’ll last until the fall.

Advertisement

flash gordon GIF

I haven't re-watched either. Zero interest in doing so.
I vaguely remember he had one tipped pass that Couch picked off that the zebras missed and got us on a BS PI penalty instead, but he lost outside contain on the QB or RB at least 2-3 times during the game, too.
I just looked up his stat sheet for the game on E$PN and it was 2 tackles, 0 TFLs, 0 sacks, 0 QB hurries. Only 3 QB hurries for the entire team on the day....
Ouch....maybe i was on some peyote and in the spirit world when i thought he had some pressures.

I just have a gut feeling with this Garcia kid. I haven't liked any of our QB recruits in a very long time. This kid just feels different to me.
I know exactly what you mean! It feels amazing to realize just how good this QB group is and how much better they can get. How long has it been since we could feel this good about the top 3 QBs on the squad? Heck make it top 4 because Peyton Matocha is nobody's scrub. After the last 3 decades and all the mediocre to bad QB play that this program and fan base have endured, this situation we currently find ourselves in feels like football heaven! Sure we have had some good moments and bright spots at QB over the last 30 years but from a depth and competition standpoint we haven't had anything like this in a very very long time!

D'erique King has been such a blessing for this program and really no matter what happens this year, his name will always be spoken with respect. As far as the young kids are concerned, it's almost too good to be true. Peyton Matocha is an intriguing dual threat talent who posseses elite athleticism. Tyler Van Dyke has the height, the frame, and the physical tools everyone looks for at QB. He is a naturally big kid with a big arm who adds surprising mobility and overall athleticism. On top of that he is a workaholic and a film junkie who leads by example. Then there is true freshman Jake Garcia. Jake doesn't have the overall athleticism that the other 3 have but is more mobile and athletic than he had been given credit for. What Jake Garcia does have is an insanely high football IQ to go along with tremendous leadership skills. Garcia has shown an understanding of the game that belies his young age. Garcia combines a natural feel for the position with an almost prodigious ability to grasp concepts in terms of digesting a new offense in addition to reading defenses. His ablity to process information quickly and make good decisions at this early stage in his college career is impressive to say the least. Garcia has a twitchy live arm with a very quick release and shows great accuracy to all levels of the field. He needs to continue to improve his footwork yet despite this he has a very natural and intuitive pocket presence with the ability to subtly maneuver within the pocket as he feels pressure. Garcia is a confident and very well spoken young man who seems to be very comfortable in his own skin without ever coming across as ****y or arrogant. He is a very engaging young man who quickly connects with teammates. Garcia is a natural leader who has repeatedly shown the ability to quickly acclimate to new situations and take command.

I realize that this is early and beyond premature. The kid is a true freshman who has 1 scrimmage under his belt. That being said I just can't shake the impression that he has made on me. When I heard about how well Garcia did in the 1st scrimmage when he was only cleared for full participation the day before, I was a bit surprised but I wasn't shocked in the slightest. I hate to use this cliche but there is just something about this kid. Something that cannot be quantified. In addition to all the tangible qualities he has that I have listed above, Garcia has the intangibles that can't be taught. He's just a natural football player, leader and winner. Jake Garcia will be the next starting QB for UM after King leaves. I'm calling my shot right now. Jake Garcia will lead us to an ACC Title and into the playoffs before he leaves. Mark it down.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
The reality is that for as awful as King's ACL injury was for him, that game and this season, long term the program should benefit from TVD and Garcia being able to split reps this offseason.
With King there to mentor them.

McCloud should do better as a pass rusher, he’s actually skilled in that area. Remember he was embarrassing nd Oline in2017 on a few pass rushing plays

Advertisement
Back