Quantifying the talent gap MTSU/UM/culture problem

Nmiamicane630

Freshman
Premium
There are serious culture/locker room issues going on for the canes. The talent discrepancy is so huge that this is the only plausible explanation for what happened saturday. Its not even about maximizing talent or under utilizing our talent. There is much, much more going on.

I picked the 2021 class as a comparison

MTSU 2021 class rank: 121
UM 2021 class rank: 11

MTSU's highest rated player is rated .8497 (3 star) according to 247.

Our lowest rated player (outside of the kicker and new australian punter behind Hedley) is .8559 (3 star) according to 247.

Yes-our lowest rated recruit in 2021 is better than their highest ranked recruit.

We had 2 5 star, 12 4 star, 8 3 star
They didnt have 1 commit over 3 star.

How bad can the culture and locker room be right now? Pretty **** bad apparently. Worse than I could have imagined.

Advertisement
Wait, we had the talent advantage?
D2C1BE24-2776-4A56-801B-996B71781391.jpeg

There are serious culture/locker room issues going on for the canes. The talent discrepancy is so huge that this is the only plausible explanation for what happened saturday. Its not even about maximizing talent or under utilizing our talent. There is much, much more going on.

This, absolutely. I've been banned in the past for arguments that I started in which I questioned south Florida "talent". It's nice to see that other people are seeing it as well. Those dudes don't want to win, they want to get paid. Put 60 of them on a roster and you aren't winning anything.

Advertisement

I picked the 2021 class as a comparison

MTSU 2021 class rank: 121
UM 2021 class rank: 11

MTSU's highest rated player is rated .8497 (3 star) according to 247.

Our lowest rated player (outside of the kicker and new australian punter behind Hedley) is .8559 (3 star) according to 247.

Yes-our lowest rated recruit in 2021 is better than their highest ranked recruit.

We had 2 5 star, 12 4 star, 8 3 star
They didnt have 1 commit over 3 star.

How bad can the culture and locker room be right now? Pretty **** bad apparently. Worse than I could have imagined.
I been Tell ng people this **** we wouldn't recruit one if their players that's why this is so bad

So what would the score have been if we switched staffs? Unreal.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Nine months of coaching doesn't fix a culture problem, no.

Nope.

And does anyone really think Mario and staff didn't have a foot up these kids' asses all week after aTm? Guarding against a game like this? Reminding them what Marshall did at Notre Dame or what Appalachian State did in College Station?
Any parent on here knows you can tell your kids till you're blue in the face to do something, to case-build as to why, tell them to keep their guard up and head on a swivel—and when the moment comes, they do the opposite—as it doesn't matter how much you say or do, they're gonna do what they're gonna do.

Read the quotes from Rivers and Clark:

"We... I say we, everybody, because we're all in this together. We looked at that team 'Oh, we're gonna win this game'," said offensive lineman Jalen Rivers after the game. "So we came in obviously unmotivated, kinda slow and we had to ramp things back up when we got punched in the mouth."

"We weren't as locked in as we should have been pregame. During the week we had a good week of practice, but pregame...me personally, I feel as though we weren't as locked in as we should have been," added center Jakai Clark, who also called the team's attitude "lethargic".

Whatever issues fans have with Gattis, this no-show effort by the team isn't "coaching" at this rate. These kids heard all week what they needed to do and still feigned surprised when Middle Tennessee brought the fight to their doorstep.
DJ Ivey shows up for aTm a week prior and then goes back to the same donkey he was against Georgia Tech in 2019 (where he showed out the next week against Pitt after he was called out in loss to Yellow Jackets.)

Done seeing coaches blamed for everything. Yes, the buck stops with the staff—but these players are grown-*** men who have to have some personal pride and accountability come game day. The nerve of them to not be "locked in", or "unmotivated" or "slow" or not taking the opponent seriously—as if this program hasn't averaged 7-5 on the year dating back to 2006.

This culture is a dumpster fire and sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that doesn't get fixed in four games.

So that guy just wants to get paid, or he wants to win while getting paid? That's the difference. But you knew that.
"Changing the culture" sounds good at the intro press conference and in a Tweet but it's largely bull****. Winning breeds chemistry and a good culture. Losing breeds bad chemistry and a bad culture. Elite coaches can adapt and know how to get the most out of their players.

"Changing the culture" sounds good at the intro press conference and in a Tweet but it's largely bull****. Winning breeds chemistry and a good culture. Losing breeds bad chemistry and a bad culture. Elite coaches can adapt and know how to get the most out of their players.
Exactly. What do you think Mario walked in to, and how did you expect him to change it with the same losing players that were here last year? A new culture requires different people. This is true in any organization.

Advertisement
Back