Quan Lee, '22 WR (deCOMMITS)

Advertisement
Anyone know if he is a born and bred Gainesville kid or a transplant? On MaxPreps, he doesn't show up on the Buchholz Varsity or JV squad rosters 2 years ago. Gator WR Whittemore's father is the Buchholz coach and OL coach Hevesy has a kid on the team. Would be great to hear they're interested and he told them to suck it.
He went to Eastside prior to Bucholz. Both in Gainesville.

I watched two full games of his and here are my thoughts if anyone cares to read:

Strengths:
  • This kid has several release packages that are pretty decent. There were a few times he came out slow against a boundary CB covering him. He wasn't in a hurry and waited for the CB to get antsy and get on his heels before exploding into his route. High schools often times are so excited to get into their routes they don't understand patience in your release.
  • I enjoy the fact he attacks the ball in the air. I wouldn't call him a "contested catch" guy at the P5 level, but he will absolutely fight for the ball. Had one catch in-between a S over the top and a trailing boundary CB and he leaped to catch the ball and kept his balance for a long TD. I cannot tell you the number of times I see WR's catch those deep passes in those situations, cradle the ball, and fall down rather than finishing the play.
  • Lee really keeps speed through subtle breaks and understands hip movements and turning his shoulders to manipulate a CB (Derek Percivalle of Navarre for instance).
  • Stronger than he looks, he has the makings of a quality Z receiver.
Opportunities:
  • When comparing to other P5 WR's his size he has an average burst. Would like to see him stack CB's with burst a little easier than he does.
  • Certainly not slow, with a PR of 11.16 in the 100M, but not a true burner
    • Mike Harley had a PR of 10.78, Mark Pope had a 10.53 to give some context
  • Would like to see his motor run hotter. On plays the ball wasn't coming his way, he was a jogger.
  • Blocking was not just poor, it was atrocious. Going to be hard to play in this offense if you can't block on the outside.
  • Looks like a small framed kid. How much growth does he have in that frame?
Overall:
Overall, the kid was better than I thought he'd be after I heard he was a Gainesville kid not being recruited by Florida. He's probably being rated fairly as a mid-level P5 recruit who will have to develop to become more than a depth player, but I liked both his play temperament and his production. Probably not a year one guy, but that second year could see him get some burn.

Advertisement
Lance, awesome insights thank you.

You can’t learn about his blocking and that he takes plays off based on his HUDL highlights. Both coachable fortunately.

Can’t change frame though, and can only incrementally refine burst. I didn’t see the frame issue tbh. But, again, highlights don’t tell the whole picture.

I am puzzled why, if this guy is such a hidden gem, that his offer list feels so “group of five”.......I think you must trust your staff to get the very best guys they can. But,does anyone here really think he is anywhere near top ten or top twenty talent?

And if Manny is playing the “you looking, we looking game”, why is this guy going to visit Coastal Carolina and West Va.?
E64463EB-F082-4F2C-9C58-F62E0428B69B.gif

I am puzzled why, if this guy is such a hidden gem, that his offer list feels so “group of five”.......I think you must trust your staff to get the very best guys they can. But,does anyone here really think he is anywhere near top ten or top twenty talent?

And if Manny is playing the “you looking, we looking game”, why is this guy going to visit Coastal Carolina and West Va.?
Because if he was known and offered by all of the big "P5" schools, then he wouldn't be a "hidden gem". Now would he?
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Advertisement

In case he doesn’t develop the way we hope and he gets dropped at the end of the cycle. I think that correlates with his comment about it being a joint decision with the coaching staff if he were to take visits to other schools.

Advertisement
Lance, awesome insights thank you.

You can’t learn about his blocking and that he takes plays off based on his HUDL highlights. Both coachable fortunately.

Can’t change frame though, and can only incrementally refine burst. I didn’t see the frame issue tbh. But, again, highlights don’t tell the whole picture.
Pretty sure Lance said he got that impression from watching two full games, not hudl highlights. Big difference

Advertisement
Because if he was known and offered by all of the big "P5" schools, then he wouldn't be a "hidden gem". Now would he?
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
Or, just perhaps he is a smallish, average speed guy, who has EARNED a three star rating on the field. Again, I hope he becomes a HOF WR. But, this class just feels like we are striking out on the top players and are looking for “Randy Specials”.

I watched two full games of his and here are my thoughts if anyone cares to read:

Strengths:
  • This kid has several release packages that are pretty decent. There were a few times he came out slow against a boundary CB covering him. He wasn't in a hurry and waited for the CB to get antsy and get on his heels before exploding into his route. High schools often times are so excited to get into their routes they don't understand patience in your release.
  • I enjoy the fact he attacks the ball in the air. I wouldn't call him a "contested catch" guy at the P5 level, but he will absolutely fight for the ball. Had one catch in-between a S over the top and a trailing boundary CB and he leaped to catch the ball and kept his balance for a long TD. I cannot tell you the number of times I see WR's catch those deep passes in those situations, cradle the ball, and fall down rather than finishing the play.
  • Lee really keeps speed through subtle breaks and understands hip movements and turning his shoulders to manipulate a CB (Derek Percivalle of Navarre for instance).
  • Stronger than he looks, he has the makings of a quality Z receiver.
Opportunities:
  • When comparing to other P5 WR's his size he has an average burst. Would like to see him stack CB's with burst a little easier than he does.
  • Certainly not slow, with a PR of 11.16 in the 100M, but not a true burner
    • Mike Harley had a PR of 10.78, Mark Pope had a 10.53 to give some context
  • Would like to see his motor run hotter. On plays the ball wasn't coming his way, he was a jogger.
  • Blocking was not just poor, it was atrocious. Going to be hard to play in this offense if you can't block on the outside.
  • Looks like a small framed kid. How much growth does he have in that frame?
Overall:
Overall, the kid was better than I thought he'd be after I heard he was a Gainesville kid not being recruited by Florida. He's probably being rated fairly as a mid-level P5 recruit who will have to develop to become more than a depth player, but I liked both his play temperament and his production. Probably not a year one guy, but that second year could see him get some burn.
Gotta play fast pope times like a track guy but he almost falls down on screen passes. People have said that saw him that he is a dog!

Advertisement
Back