QBs will be live and 2 scrimmages/weeks to determine starter

fincane

Senior
Who will be the Miami Hurricanes’ starting quarterback in 2017? What Mark Richt said at the ACC Kickoff | Canes Watch

How hard is that to get that sense of a guy in August?

“It is hard, because you tend not to let your guys play live, because you don’t want them to get hurt. … It’s hard to judge what a quarterback can do until you see them play live. … We’re going to scrimmage. I’ll probably let them play live.”

When would you like to know?

“It’d be nice to know right now. It’d be nice to get that guy all the quality reps he can get. If I had to guess at the latest, I’d hope to know after our second scrimmage, not immediately when it’s over but after reviewing film and evaluating everything, a day or two after that.

Do you plan to tell us, or no?

“I hate — I mean — I already said it publicly, so everybody’s going to go ‘What’s the deal?’ I really don’t want to go into — hopefully I know by then. Somewhere along the line you’ve got to get your game-plan started and rep the guy you picked. That’s right around that second scrimmage.” [Note: sounds like a yes?]

The second scrimmage last year was just under two weeks after camp started. So we're looking at 14 days and around 7-8 practices/scrimmages for four guys to compete

Last time we had a QB competition Kaaya was named starter on August 24. He got 3-4 more practices than these guys will get if Richt's plan holds.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I feel dumb for asking this, I am tipsy. So is OP saying there will be 2 weeks and 2 live scrimmages to determine starter?

I feel dumb for asking this, I am tipsy. So is OP saying there will be 2 weeks and 2 live scrimmages to determine starter?

According to Richt, he wants to find his starter after the two live scrimmages. Last year the second scrimmage closed out the second week of practice.

If Perry is gonna start, they need to decide early. He's the guy that will need most quality reps to begin the season.

They can probably wait longer if its the 2 older guys. But based on the quotes, it validates the early prediction from Ariz that Perry was going to be the guy. No need to decide early, unless you already know who it is. And the 2 scrimmages are just window dressing to determine is the others can make you change your mind.

Advertisement
If Perry is gonna start, they need to decide early. He's the guy that will need most quality reps to begin the season.

They can probably wait longer if its the 2 older guys. But based on the quotes, it validates the early prediction from Ariz that Perry was going to be the guy. No need to decide early, unless you already know who it is. And the 2 scrimmages are just window dressing to determine is the others can make you change your mind.

No matter who it is, it's best to know early. You want your starter getting as many reps as possible with the 1s.

This is easy - going into game one coach will say "we are going to rotate a few guys to see who can make things happen" ....... game one is the true live scrimmage

Live scrimmages are "window dressing" for a true freshmans QB?

Advertisement
If Perry can walk and chew gum at the same time he will start...he will need to be a total flop for Richt not to give him the reins.

When Richt made statement after statement regarding Perry getting his chance to compete for the job he was telling everyone he didn't think any of the ones he had were good enough.

We gonna ride and succeed or go down in flames with Perry at the helm.Just hope he's half as good as he's made out to be.

If Perry can walk and chew gum at the same time he will start...he will need to be a total flop for Richt not to give him the reins.

When Richt made statement after statement regarding Perry getting his chance to compete for the job he was telling everyone he didn't think any of the ones he had were good enough.

We gonna ride and succeed or go down in flames with Perry at the helm.Just hope he's half as good as he's made out to be.

Ditto Conch. Ditto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pumped about it. No use in repeating it, so here's what I said last year on the topic of live bullets:

I'm not as close to the team as either of them, but Kaaya did not look like this in Fall practice. The offense did not look as disjointed and erratic during scrimmage play. The passes were far more accurate and the playcalls (formations, sets, etc.) weren't so much of a grab bag.

I was therefore hopeful, but as you can ask D$ and look back on certain posts, I mentioned one concern:

Kaaya still had to show the ability to extend plays within the pocket by climbing and moving laterally against a live DL. Our one TD drive yesterday shows the difference between a couple extra ticks created by a QB. You don't need to be a runner. You need subtle movements to create a tiny extension of the play.

You watch an OL like the Cowboys' - with basically 3-4 Pro Bowl level players - and you notice a significant difference when the QB moves his feet vs when the QB is a standing target. In modern football (blitzes, best athletes on the defensive edges), it's basically everything. That confuses some people and makes them think we need a running QB. Not necessary. Just need a feel for when to slide and not have your mechanics shot to **** by a slide up or across.

If the expectation is that 5 guys on an OL unit will perfectly hold their blocks on every play, you're setting yourself up for a really inconsistent offense. Now, in our case, you're expecting 4 Guards to perfectly uphold a clean pocket. That means Darling has to do what he's not built to do at LT. Mcdermott has play error free. Linder has to be aware to chip appropriately and/or pick up blitzes. Isidora has to play mistake free. We have to pray that our RT who, at best, will win battles 50% of the time is winning his battle.

Do you see how the odds are completely against a consistent drive unless you begin to reduce OL variables via playcalls? Get defenders out of the box. Get matchups inside the hashes in the passing game. Beg Kaaya to more aggressively slide.

https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/id-love-pete-$-hearing-inside/103630

Only one way to find out what you have in a QB. Luckily, along with Fall scrimmages, we have some early games where our defense is likely to give the offense sufficient opportunities.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think it's good that Richt is gonna let them be live where you can find out who will or won't stand in and take a hit.Its also good if Manny is gonna unleash the D at the new guys to see how they react.

We found out last year that Kaaya looked for a place to fall down when someone came within 5 yards of him.Would be great to see how Perry and Weldon react under pressure.

Teams should probably practice with a consistent rule, if you know what you have in your QB, less live scrimmages/practice. When you don't know what you have, let em fly do the real thing occasionally so you can get an idea.

I'd have been shocked if Richt said anything otherwise. I don't think it means the others are necessarily trash.

Advertisement

This. I dont know about Perry, but I do know its a default, "Wait until NEXT year!" season if anyone else starts.

Absolutely. Rick said that a scholarship QB will compete for the open QB job. That definitely means Perry has the job. I feel that.

And if they get hurt, we will get our QB via attrition...win win situation. Nice avatar chise...is that Sileo? Should get the pic on a license plate.. or buy a billboard for by sun life....or have a plane fly around the stadium w the Sileo pic and his stats..lol

I really hope that we're not that desperate to face FSU with a freshman QB. I'm still rolling with Rosier until Richt says otherwise.

Advertisement
Back