QB situations around College Football

Advertisement
That's right, the kid Sam Hartman from out of North Carolina, he was 3-star Pro-style that threw for 9,400yds & 98TD's in HS.

He was an EE & had the lead since Spring Ball.
What happened to the black qb that was on that qb1 reality show following Tate Martell and Jake Fromm? If I remember right he went to Wake?

Advertisement
Advertisement
For the College football junkies like me, I thought I would make a post about some of the other QB situations going on around college football that I'm interested in watching throughout the season.

Drew Lock - 6'4 225lbs Senior QB for Mizzou threw 3,964yds 44TD's 13INT's his Junior year & is in position to be the #1 ranked QB for the 2019 draft. Mizzou lost their OC Josh Heupel who was the main developer of Lock & went on to become the HC for UCF, so I'm interested to see if Lock can maintain his spot as the top QB throughout the year.

Khalil Tate - 6'2 215lbs Junior QB for AZ, threw for 1,591yds 14TD's 9INT's & rushed for 1,411yds 12TD's (3,002 total yards & 26TD's). With Kevin Sumlin coming in at AZ I'm wanna see how well Tate can use his skills in Sumlin's Offense. AZ was considering hiring Ken Niumatalolo before Sumlin & Tate was against it, in fact he tweeted out that he didn't come to Arizona to run the Trip Option, Khalil Tate purposefully tweeted to keep Ken Niumatalolo away from Arizona < article link) which was basically him threatening to transfer if they didn't get a legit coach lol.

Well, they got one. Kevin Sumlin is 86-43 for his career as a Coach & is most known for developing Case Keenum (the all-time college leader in passing yards) at Houston & Johnny "8-ball" Manziel. Will be interesting to see what he does with a dynamic talent like Tate.

UCLA - Since Chip Kelly has been back to collge football UCLA has had a pretty big QB competition that started with 4 different players Austin Burton, Devon Modster, Matt Lynch & Jackson Gibbs, Burton was 6/8 116yds & 1TD in their Spring Game. But, since then the QB competition has come down to 3, with Lynch, Gibbs & Burton seemingly out of it & UCLA bringing in Senior Transfer from Michigan Wilton Speight & True Freshman Dorian Thompson-Robinson that both arrived in the summer/fall.

Speight is looked at as the favorite thus far having the most experience, as a starter at Mich threw for 2,538yds 18TD's & 7INT's. Devon Modster the Red Soph has moved up the Depth Chart since Spring ball & put himself into the race being the only current UCLA QB that actually played any last year as the backup for Josh Rosen. DTR has hit the ground running since arriving on campus, as many of us know DTR was the #2 ranked Dual-threat QB coming out of powerhouse Bishop Gorman in Vegas & was Brevin Jordan's QB that Miami also offered & recruited early in the process.

Chip Kelly has been very tight lipped about the QB race at UCLA & hasn't announced the starter yet, although most writers that cover them assume Speight gets the early nod, but if he struggles many have said DTR has been good enough in Fall camp to play his TF year.

Nebraska - After Scott Frost had the undefeated season at UCF he went back to his alma mater & is expected to rebuild their program after many down years in the B1G.

Nebraska also is having a QB competition, the 2 leading candidates are Red Freshman Tristan Gebbia a 6'2 195lbs former 4-star Pro-style QB from out of Calabasas CA who threw for 5,338yds & 60TD's his Senior year in HS & True Freshman Adrian Martinez 6'2 220lbs 4-star Dual-threat QB from out of Fresno CA.

Adrian Martinez was one of my favorite QB's from the 2018 class (along with the likes of DTR, Justin Rogers & Casey Thompson), he had 2,562yds 25TD's & 4INT's while rushing for 1,462yds & 14TD's. He was offered & recruited some early on by Miami, but was committed to Cal & Tenn at different points in the season only to eventually sign with Neb after Frost got the job.

Adrian was an EE, so he's been there since the Spring, he killed it in their Spring game with 114yds passing & 60yds rushing with 4 total TD's (3 rush & 1 pass). He's the quintessential dual-threat QB that fits Frost's Uptempo Spread Offense.

Frost has yet to name a starter, but has recently said that over the weekend a starter will be named. From writers who cover Nebraska, many of them are fairly split. Some think Gebbia is the guy because he's more of a Pro-style pocket passer & many also think Adrian will be the guy due to his ability to run & throw. Either way I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

USC - Much like UCLA will be breaking in a new QB this year after Sam Darnold was drafted with the #2 pick.
USC has had a 3 man race with, Red Soph Matt Fink, Red Frosh Jack Sears & True Freshman JT Daniels.

Matt Fink is the incumbent & has been on USC's offense for 2 years, so he had the early lead in the Spring, he's a 6'3 200lbs Dual threat QB. Jack Sears is a Red Frosh who was a 4-star listed at 6'3 205lbs & is said to have a big arm but has been turnover prone in Scrimmages.

That brings us to JT Daniels, the #1 rated QB in the 2018 class, 5-star 6'3 210lbs kid from the powerhouse Cali school Mater Dei who threw for an astounding 12,014yds 152TD's total for his career. He was inconsistent early in the Spring, but has since completely caught up & taken the lead in Fall camp. He was 17-21 for 4TD's in 2 Fall camp scrimmages & from most writers is said to be the favorite. His continuity with another TF in 5-star WR Amon-Ra St. Brown has paid dividends & has lead to Daniels gaining confidence of the team. Coach Helton will announce the starter next week & many believe it will be Daniels, but Fink is still in it.

Texas - Coming into year 2 Tom Herman has 4 4-star QB's to work with. Shane Buechele, Sam Ehlinger, Cameron Rising & Casey Thompson.

Junior QB Shane was the incumbent veteran coming into this year having thrown for 4,363yds 28TD's & 15INT's in 2 seasons but lost his job last year to Ehlinger.

Ehlinger the 6'3 235lbs Soph threw for 1,915yds 11TD's 7INT's last year & was recently named the starter. The 2 TF's Cameron Rising & Casey Thompson have been battling for 3rd team with Thompson having the lead in that spot, both of which are likely to redshirt this season.

TCU - Was primarily a 2 man race between QB's Michael Collins & Shawn Robinson. Collins a 6'5 214lbs Pro-style QB Redshirted last year, he's said to be the typical Big arm pocket passer. But, the 6'2 228lbs True Soph Shawn Robinson was named the starter last week, he only played in 2 games last year as a Frosh going 13-27 184yds 2TD's passing with 159yds rushing & 1TD.

That element to run is what gave him the edge for Gary Patterson to name him the starter, the former 4-star local is a dual threat QB that fits in TCU's Spread offense.

The True Freshman 6'4 220lbs 4-star QB from out of 6A school Parkway Louisiana (5-star LSU WR Terrace Marshall's QB) Justin Rogers is expected to be Redshirted, but shows great promise being a big arm dual threat QB who threw for 3,021yds 31TD's with 709yds & 11TD's rushing in HS.

Memphis - Mike Norvell coming into his 3rd season as HC is 18-8 after having a 10 win season last year. He has to replace Riley Ferguson & has named Junior QB Brady White to the starter. White transferred from AZ St back in January & has had the lead since spring over Soph QB David Moore who is leaving the program, along with Soph QB Brady Davis who transferred to Illinois St. Norvell has had success with Paxton Lynch & Riley Ferguson, I'll be watching to see what he's able to do. He's a young 36 year old HC who is an Offensive guru.

USF - Coach Strong has the difficult task of replacing the Liberty City legend Quinton Flowers, but with Sterling Gilbert as the OC that system is conducive for QB's to succeed.

USF recently named Grad Transfer Blake Barnett the starter. As many know, Barnett was the former 5-star QB from California who was with Bama but decided to leave the program after TF Jalen Hurts won the job in 2016. Barnett then transferred to AZ St where he was expected to win the starting job there but lost out to Manny Wilkins, so finally Barnett has found a home as a starter in his Red Junior year.

USF's other QB's are Red Junior Brett Kean who was Wink Flowers backup & been in the program for 4 years & True Freshman local Tampa 3-star QB Jordan McCloud (Clemson Ray-Ray McCloud lil brother) from Plant HS. He threw for 2,426yds 26TD's & rushed for 389yds with 6TD's rushing his Senior year.

Honorable Mentions: UCF - McKenzie Milton after throwing 4,037yds 37TD's & 9INT's last year, can he with new HC Josh Heupel pick up where he left off?

Lamar Raynard - NC A&T 6'4 200lbs Senior QB who lead A&T to another HBC National Title last year going 12-0. Raynard is a very nice passer, throwing for 2,932yds 27TD's & 7INT's with 63.7%cmp. His play style actually reminds me a little of N'Kosi Perry.

Caylin Newton - The younger brother of Cam Newton, as a True Freshman started & lead Howard University to a 7-4 record. Throwing for 2,432yds 13TD's & 12INT's

Has there ever been a good Mizzou QB in the NFL?

Has there ever been a good Mizzou QB in the NFL?
Not that I can remember, Chase Daniel is a career backup & Blaine Gabbert was a colossal bust.

But, Drew Lock is head & shoulders better than both of them coming out of college, so maybe he'll be the first.

I mean was there ever a good QB from North Dakota St before Wentz got drafted lol?

Not that I can remember, Chase Daniel is a career backup & Blaine Gabbert was a colossal bust.

But, Drew Lock is head & shoulders better than both of them coming out of college, so maybe he'll be the first.

I mean was there ever a good QB from North Dakota St before Wentz got drafted lol?
physically Lock looks the part...but so did Gabbert...I'm not convinced.

Advertisement
physically Lock looks the part...but so did Gabbert...I'm not convinced.
Gabbert & Lock aren't comparable imo, Gabb was an overrated 1 read QB who was only drafted because of his measurables. Lock eclipsed everything Gabb ever did, he was already the best QB in their school history by his Sophomore year.

I'm not a Mizzou fan at all, so I don't give a sh*t one way or the other, and maybe Lock will be a bust too who knows? It's just a storyline that I thought was interesting to watch throughout the year for this season because most NFL scouts have him & Will Grier as the top QB's for the 2019 draft.

None of my OP was an endorsement of any of these guys one way or the other, just that I'm a huge college football fan & aside from Miami, these are some of the other things going on I'll keep up with, that's all.

lmao @ posts being flagged with the "personal insult" label.
Is that like being able to call a "timeout" during basic training in the military nowadays?

For those that don't know, Cole Kelley is a 6'7 250lbs Red Sophomore for Ark & is Chad Morris's first pick at QB even though he didn't recruit him.

And Terry Wilson is a 6'3 205lbs dual threat 3-star QB who played HS ball in Oklahoma, committed to Oregon & redshirted, then transferred after Willie left, went to Juco & then transferred to Kentucky.

We basically stole Kentucky's starter when we flipped Jarren lol

Advertisement
I'm not surprised to see Frost go with Martinez. He wasn't afraid to go with Milton as a freshman at UCF. Although he really opened up the playbook in 2107 compared to 2016 when Milton was pretty much running the ball or throwing screens.

I'm not surprised to see Frost go with Martinez. He wasn't afraid to go with Milton as a freshman at UCF. Although he really opened up the playbook in 2107 compared to 2016 when Milton was pretty much running the ball or throwing screens.
It's a win win for Frost, Martinez is an exceptionally good QB, his ability to throw & run gives him the upper hand over a typical pocket passer.

Frost can afford to be a 6-8 win team in year 1, so why not develop the guy you recruited? Because the experience he gets this season will set him up to have a big year 2 as a Sophomore.

And Frost's system is built for a young QB, it's all about pace & making a quick decision, he doesn't bog them down with too much information, just simplify the game & make it easy on them to get the ball to the playmakers.

It's a win win for Frost, Martinez is an exceptionally good QB, his ability to throw & run gives him the upper hand over a typical pocket passer.

Frost can afford to be a 6-8 win team in year 1, so why not develop the guy you recruited? Because the experience he gets this season will set him up to have a big year 2 as a Sophomore.

And Frost's system is built for a young QB, it's all about pace & making a quick decision, he doesn't bog them down with too much information, just simplify the game & make it easy on them to get the ball to the playmakers.

And now it's being reported that the dude who lost the Nebraska QB competition has left the team.

Apparently, Martinez is now the only scholarship QB still on their roster.

And now it's being reported that the dude who lost the Nebraska QB competition has left the team.

Apparently, Martinez is now the only scholarship QB still on their roster.

Yup, Tristan Gebbia is now transferring. He has to transfer before October in order to keep from losing another year of eligibility, so it's actually not a big shock. It just sucks for Frost because they only have 1 QB on scholarship but they do have a backup in the Walk-on Andrew Bunch who was a Juco kid.

Advertisement
Back