QB recruiting in the aftermath of transfer gate

We also don’t know if Alabama has actually “missed” at QB, or if they simply don’t feel as if either guy is ready to win a NC at this point in their career. Which wouldn’t really be a “miss,” the same way Dorsey wasn’t ready to win a NC right off the bat. But he was still a hit at QB recruiting.

I wonder if the previous two years hasn’t happened, if Saban would be willing to settle for a 10-2, 11-1 type year, and go all in on 2024.

But now he has 2 years of UGA being the new Bama, and so there’s probably some demand for a NC contender type season. Which means a just add water ready QB.
I think a big part of it all is that Milroe who is most ready isn’t a fit for Rees’ system. I don’t know enough about Ty Simpson’s game on rather he is or isn’t. Still good point.

Advertisement
I'd love Michael Pratt for 1yr if things went astray with TVD. This kid has run multiple Offenses and would be the perfect fit for Dawson since they're well acquainted.
At this point we need another qb as an insurance policy. TVD has shown proof to not be fully locked in mentally. After 2021 reports came out he was playing tons of golf and not interacting with the receivers and now he's spending time try to back channel additional NIL with a notoriously shady agent. Let's get someone else in here who wants to be great and fully locked in.

This whole TVD situation further proves the point that we need to be signing a blue chip QB every cycle. You can't get stuck with a project 2nd year guy and a mid tier true freshmen as your only other possibilities.

Things were actually set up quite nicely with a nice progression from Van Dyke to Garcia and then Brown after he'd had a few years of work. Then Gattis came in and ruined TVD and Garcia. One guy had to return for a fourth season to prove his third season was a fluke, another had to transfer out and now the project quarterback is a sore ankle away from being the starter. Say what you want about TVD and Garcia's play last year, neither of them looked anywhere near that bad under Lashlee.

Advertisement
You guys need to relax about TVD for a couple reasons.
1. The kid is money as a passer. Go back and watch the spring game as I did last night. He makes difficult throws look easy and has great arm talent. Watch how well he clicks this season with Young, X and George. We will have a strong passing game, and we even have good backup WR’s in Horton, Smith and Ray-Ray. We are lucky to have TVD as the starting QB. Hence why Bama wanted him

2. An agent’s job is to MAXIMIZE how much money the client makes. Period. Drew shopped around while the portal is open and got his client more money. That is exactly what is supposed to happen in the current structures of college athletics. Anything less from Drew would be poor representation. And the client needs to be smart enough to let the agent work.
I’m happy TVD got more money. I hope everyone does. Players need to use their leverage to maximize their value, just as coaches have been doing for over 100 years.

TVD passed on Bama , who else would’ve done this if they’d came calling for one of our starters? Some posters here may be butthurt by this because it got out but there’s been other players do this, but either our media didn’t know ( I doubt that) or they didn’t leak it. Now why would that be ?

There’s been people leak info on TVD twice now even though at the time it wasn’t close to a sure thing he was leaving. It really makes me wonder …..the agendas I see are quite obvious. Grown adults leaking stuff from other players who might not like a certain guy and it’s beyond obvious.
@Cribby , another angle I've thought of is, why wouldn't Bama leak this (as long as TVD doesn't find out it was them)? For the same reasons you said? Sours the fans and the players on him and almost forces him to move on.

The whole portal/leaking/back channeling is such a dark deep place. There's so many layers to all of it and too many people involved that it's hard to tell motives/what's real from the surface.

Advertisement
I'm pro-NIL and pro-portal but the central problem is players transferring every single year. Unlike NFL/NBA/etc where you lock in a multi year contract, college has basically become a 1 year contract. The very simple fix would be that all transfers would have to sit 1 year. No immediate eligibility (with some limited exceptions: hardships, family health issue, coach change, etc.). Thoughts?

I'm pro-NIL and pro-portal but the central problem is players transferring every single year. Unlike NFL/NBA/etc where you lock in a multi year contract, college has basically become a 1 year contract. The very simple fix would be that all transfers would have to sit 1 year. No immediate eligibility (with some limited exceptions: hardships, family health issue, coach change, etc.). Thoughts?
Need some modifications for sure. Heck, TVD was considering leaving in December, Mario convinced him to stay, then 4 months later he was re-considering? Not a good situation for ANY program attempting to acquire a degree of stability.

We also don’t know if Alabama has actually “missed” at QB….

No, we don’t, but the fact that there are some pretty strong rumors out there that they’re trying to poach current QBs, leads me to believe that they don’t have confidence in what they have in their QB room right now.

Advertisement
We will be heavily out gunned against 8-4 and we always drop a couple we shouldn’t.

We should have won the game on the road last year and his lineup is what the W/L should look like…

BUT that is not the report we’re getting from the insiders at all

Advertisement
Need some modifications for sure. Heck, TVD was considering leaving in December, Mario convinced him to stay, then 4 months later he was re-considering? Not a good situation for ANY program attempting to acquire a degree of stability.

To be honest - after seeing our s---show offense last year - if I were TVD - I'd probably be GONE.

That mis-termed "Offensive Coordinator" was as useless as *******-es-es on a 3-legged, one-eyed Tomcat with a really bad attitude.

To stay - and then have to wait for half his life for a NEW Offensive Coordinator decision - TVD really has my respect.

Advertisement
Back