QB Read Draw

amanan28

New_Era
Have the centers always been able to get downfield and not get flagged as an ineligible man downfield? Anyways, this wrinkle has been a godsend in moving the sticks. It keeps the LB's honest and opens up the middle of the field. Every time that play has been run the last two games it's been for 5+ yards.

Advertisement
Only a penalty if they throw the ball, I'm pretty sure. Otherwise it's like any other run play. I'd imagine the play is a designed run or quick throw before the C releases.

The only pass option on those is to the RB behind the LOS so it wouldn't be a flag. But the center usually waits a few seconds so that pass would be completed before he went downfield anyway.

It's been killer in the red zone. 2 TDs the last 2 games. 72% success rate since we started running it against Syracuse.

We also haven't thrown it on this yet. Teams are probably gonna key on the QB run hard in the red zone now and Homer/Dallas with 2 receivers in front should do some damage.

Yea, what JetCanes said. It’s only a penalty for illegal man down field, if they’re throwing the ball past the LOS.

It's a called play when the center runs downfield like that. He does hold at the line, to let the LB's think it's a pass.

Advertisement
its basically a run pass option. bubble screen to slots or take off and run. in either case lineman can block downfield. id expect defenses to run more stunts when we get in a 5 wide set

Only a penalty if they throw the ball, I'm pretty sure. Otherwise it's like any other run play. I'd imagine the play is a designed run or quick throw before the C releases.

I laugh every time I see #74 down field blocking a safety..

The only pass option on those is to the RB behind the LOS so it wouldn't be a flag. But the center usually waits a few seconds so that pass would be completed before he went downfield anyway.

It's been killer in the red zone. 2 TDs the last 2 games. 72% success rate since we started running it against Syracuse.

We also haven't thrown it on this yet. Teams are probably gonna key on the QB run hard in the red zone now and Homer/Dallas with 2 receivers in front should do some damage.

I keep waiting for this. Yet, to me the last game it looked like ND knew it was coming, but still couldn't stop it as Malik bounced his way into the end zone.

This kind of goes with a worry I have about Rosier. When the pocket collapses on him, his eyes immediately go down and he looks to run. If he would keep his eyes up for that extra second, receivers come open a lot as they come back toward a scrambling QB

Advertisement
Herbstreit has said for the past two weeks that it’s a read option but i just don’t think he’s right when the center takes off like that.

This kind of goes with a worry I have about Rosier. When the pocket collapses on him, his eyes immediately go down and he looks to run. If he would keep his eyes up for that extra second, receivers come open a lot as they come back toward a scrambling QB

90% of college qbs have this issue.

If you worry about Rosier I wonder what you thought about Kaaya. Kaaya would drop his eyes and take a sack. At least Rosier looks to run and makes plays

Have the centers always been able to get downfield and not get flagged as an ineligible man downfield? Anyways, this wrinkle has been a godsend in moving the sticks. It keeps the LB's honest and opens up the middle of the field. Every time that play has been run the last two games it's been for 5+ yards.

Typically a "QB Darw Read" is coupled with routes on the outside.

Example, pre-snap you identify coverage, you understand that X route will effect our LB who is our read guy (the route in this case would vacate the LB or carry on with the route). If he sees this he runs. I'm sure this was already known.

Now regarding the OL, they won't get called going upfield cause they're doing a pass set and treating as if they as passing like all other RPOs. From what I recall ineligible man downfield is 3 yards (or is it 5?, american rules mess me up) which would only effect the pass play anyway and the way the offense I've seen be set up, the ball is out of his hands by then anyway.

90% of college qbs have this issue.

If you worry about Rosier I wonder what you thought about Kaaya. Kaaya would drop his eyes and take a sack. At least Rosier looks to run and makes plays

I only worry about him in that case, otherwise I'm pretty high on him. He's a winner and Kaaya had the worst pocket presence I've ever seen. The sack he took to end the ND game last year was brutal

Advertisement
No, the Read part is whether the LB's drop out. If they drop into coverage he releases and Rosier has to be on the same page and take off running.

If the LB's step up, or blitz, Gauthier stays in to block and they're running routes to combat this. Gauthier isn't releasing immediately because he's reading what the LB's are going to do.

One of the things I always want to get across in my film review posts is that this offense is setup to counteract whatever the defense wants to do. Play tight man, we run square-ins, seam routes, deep stuff. Play zone we run combination routes and just abuse your LB's in space. Play coverage with your LB's immediately, we run with our QB. Play off to prevent the slants, square-ins, and deep stuff and we run bubbles on you.

There is an adjustment to everything you're going to do as a defense. It's all reading by the QB. When he was at Florida State I wrote a piece on his offense and you could see the "read" at that time was whether to be in shotgun or in I-formation and it was all predicated by what the defense was doing schematically based on the number of defenders in the box. We've evolved, but it's still the same basic concepts coming to life.

As you've also seen, we tend to have variations we can employ off of each formation variation. It's great stuff and incredibly hard to defend when we're running it correctly.

I want him to take off and run. It's been killing teams lately. Plus it's better than a sack or INT.

No, the Read part is whether the LB's drop out. If they drop into coverage he releases and Rosier has to be on the same page and take off running.

If the LB's step up, or blitz, Gauthier stays in to block and they're running routes to combat this. Gauthier isn't releasing immediately because he's reading what the LB's are going to do.

One of the things I always want to get across in my film review posts is that this offense is setup to counteract whatever the defense wants to do. Play tight man, we run square-ins, seam routes, deep stuff. Play zone we run combination routes and just abuse your LB's in space. Play coverage with your LB's immediately, we run with our QB. Play off to prevent the slants, square-ins, and deep stuff and we run bubbles on you.

There is an adjustment to everything you're going to do as a defense. It's all reading by the QB. When he was at Florida State I wrote a piece on his offense and you could see the "read" at that time was whether to be in shotgun or in I-formation and it was all predicated by what the defense was doing schematically based on the number of defenders in the box. We've evolved, but it's still the same basic concepts coming to life.

As you've also seen, we tend to have variations we can employ off of each formation variation. It's great stuff and incredibly hard to defend when we're running it correctly.

Yep. it's a great play to run against those umbrella defenses.

Advertisement
Louisville gashed Virginia on QB plays similar to the ones we run. Last week, we also ran delays with Homer that tore in ND... offensively, the game plan should be similar.

^ was about to say. And they knew Jackson would be running it too and still could not stop it.

Advertisement
Back