Official QB Jaden Rashada: COMMITS… & then Flips to the gator… & then the gator welches on the payments so he doesn’t enroll and rescinds NLI

This is 100% a case of the Rashadas bluff being called. They’re shopping for the best deal hoping the Florida offer would drive up the bidding war but it looks like everyone else has balked. Now they’re stuck with Florida as their top offer and a decision date rapidly approaching. They clearly don’t want to go to Florida so they “push back” the decision date hoping that with a little more time they might be able to get an offer close to what Florida is offering from a school they actually want. We’re already seeing a push back from boosters not willing to overspend. Tennessee skewed the market but it looks like everyone else isn’t willing to drop nearly that amount on a kid who may never even take a snap.
This is what it sounds like.

Advertisement
I think it's more a case that some teams have QB depth and some don't. Teams that are desperate for a game changer at QB are willing to pend a ton of money while teams with options don't have to. The only reason Miami doesn't have to overpay for Jaden Rashada right now is because Rhett Lashlee signed Jake Garcia and Jacurri Brown the last two years. Miami could sign nobody at QB this year and still be alright. Although, I'd prefer they sign somebody even if it's only Emory Williams.
By Miami, you mean NIL endorsers? The U of Miami doesn't pay players other than their full cost of attendance. An important distinction.

Everything else I fully agree with.

Case in point, witness the TE situation. Mario brought in 2 TEs the same weekend and its looking like both will commit. The highest rated TE of the bunch is coming in this weekend and he'll know beforehand we already have at least one if not two TEs committed. Mario sees a weakness (physicality and athleticism in this case) and brings in multiple candidates to address it. QB is no different from a multi-candidate standpoint.
I'm gonna say this, I watched all 3 guys film and I'm not sure Williams is better than the other 2. I'm not saying Williams is overrated, im thinking the other guys maybe underrated if im honest. They are high 3 stars but they are just as good as most TEs in the cycle. Athletics wise.

Last edited:
Again, this is the difference between a desperate recruiter like Gaypier and an experienced "had my heart broken one too many times" super-prepared recruiter like Mario.

Gaypier lurches around, and thinks that he is going to impress a kid by demonstrating how much he is desired. "See, I'm not recruiting anyone else, you're our #1 guy, I won't even take a second kid at the position". If you go back and look at the timeline of Gaypier's recruiting at this position when he was hired, and you look at the Gaytor postings, it kinda goes in a linear direction. In February, they though they were getting A. In March, it shifted to B. In April it became C, and now in May and June, Jaden Rashada is suddenly the most important recruit on the board. Same reason the Gaytors were left pulling their puds when they whiffed on Citizen and Perkins.

Meanwhile, we probably need to do some re-education on some of the Canes fans, because they are more accustomed to "horse-race" recruiting, like what Gaypier does, instead of what Mario does. For six months now, I've watched people like @Cribby and @LeedsCane and a few other significant insiders tell us that "Mario has multiple candidates for every job opening", or that "Mario has sooooo many recruits who he is interested in, many that you're not even aware of", while the same-old crew of Canes fans runs around ONLY believing in interwebz-published news articles. If Ferman or Shodell or Gaby or someone similar doesn't "write an article" about a recruit every few weeks, that MUST mean that Miami has "cooled on him" or stopped recruiting altogether.

These same fans just look at our ranked offer lists and think that our coaches are recruiting in a numerically sequential order. If we don't get #1 on the list, we got out-recruited, or some such nonsense. The reality is that Mario recruits everyone he offers, some more quietly than others. Mario never gives up, he has flipped or pulled guys that many fans have given up on (Skinner, Citizen) and he believes it is important to "even finish 2nd" in the Portal Era. So the "old way" of cutting off contact with a recruit once he picks another school is NOT how Mario is going to operate.

I said it earlier, I think our priority order is Rashada-Moore-Williams. I think MARIO HIMSELF has the longest/strongest relationship with Rashada, having nothing to do with what his "official star ranking" is. I think our OC has a lot of affinity for Moore, and our QB Coach was the one to discover Williams. That's why I think we are prioritizing the way that we are. Fvck Rivals. Fvck 247. Fvck on3. And if we somehow missed on all three of those guys, Mario is coolly and calmly going to focus on Portal 2023 for another QB.

That's why this is different. Mario doesn't want to be locked into the old approach of working down your recruiting board in a linear fashion. Look at the Gaytor boards, they thought that because Miami was "hosting Williams" that we were "out on Rashada". BECAUSE THAT'S HOW THEY OPERATE. But that's not how Mario operates.

Get used to it. We are going to have a LOT more options as long as Mario is coaching. We are not going to be throwing money and personal blowjobs at players that we have made ourselves desperate for because we have no fallback options.

And knowing Mario's personality, I'm sure he is stating this in a very honest no-pressure fashion to these recruits. The recruits know **** well that Mario has several recruits for every position, and that he likes them all and could live with any of them. And that while a quick decision is HELPFUL, Mario doesn't want a rash decision that results in a premature commit and an eventual decommit, because LATE in the recruiting cycle is when everyone gets desperate to fill spots that they previously thought were filled by a guy who just decommitted.

Go back to the BEGINNING of the Gaytor Tears thread. This is EXACTLY what McSharkfvcker used to do at Florida. He'd get flustered at the end of every cyle and take the highest-rated available candidate, which often left him with red-flag kids who didn't stick.

We ain't the Gaytors. They have Billy's Army, we have a Cristobal Hulk.
Man….this post is 🔥 🔥 🔥

Advertisement
Because now it's legal. Because now, in certain ways, you can take a deduction for it. So when John Ruiz pays LEGAL money for advertising services, he gets a business deduction, and the "net" impact of the expenditure is only 75% of what it was in cash (since you get an approximate 25% tax benefit of the deduction, 21% fed, and approximately 4% net state tax deduction).

So if you gave ILLICIT money to a kid, say $100K, you had to spend $100K of your own "after tax" money (assuming you didn't have a corporate slush fund to steal from). Meaning, you might have had to EARN $125K to net your way down to $100K, then you couldn't even take a deduction on the $100K. But if you can spend $100K of your CORPORATION'S money, not your own personal money, it only costs the corporation $75K after the income tax deduction.

Does this explain EVERY situation? No. Some of the "rapid" increases in dollar amounts have to do with supply and demand. There is QB scarcity on the supply side (there are not 65 great QBs every year to fill all the P5 rosters), and there is competitive demand between the top schools. The good QBs are not fungible, they are not all the same. If a school really, really, really wants Nico, they have to pay significantly more than others, particularly if you are trying to get a Cali kid to move to Knoxville (which is not a terrible city, it's just very different culturally).
I do get the tax piece but again, the costs are so much more that it’s still a significant net loss to the booster vs previous bags unless they have a company benefiting from the agreement, like Ruiz.

Also, I do not feel QB is scarce on the supply side, at least not anymore. The Portal has changed that. G5 QBs will bounce to P5. P5 schools will lose QBs who don’t want to sit and wait. Lower paying P5 will lose QBs to higher paying P5 schools. Brennan Armstrong averaged 400 yards a game last year. Will Rogers 364. Jake Haener 315. Tanner Mordecai left OU and put up 302 per for SMU. Devin Leary, Aidan O’Connell, Sam Hartman…..the list goes on and on. You can put up crazy stats without 5star QBs and by poaching proven QBs over HS kids.

On the other side, 5-star #1 rated dual threat QB Bo Nix is on his second team after never meeting lofty expectations. Jayden Daniels, 4-star #2 dual threat QB is on his second team. 5-star #2 Pro Qb JT Daniels is on his 3rd team. 4-star #3 Pro QB Graham Mertz, who started his own brand bc of his hype, has been mediocre. Adrian Martinez, Max Johnson, Spencer Rattler, DJ Uiagalelei, Hunter Johnson, Jake Fromm, Shea Peterson, Jacob Eason. 5 star kids from 2021 didn’t step right in and see the field…..Ewers, Huard, and Vandagriff. JJ McCarthey saw snaps but more of a package guy. So if you had paid those guys crazy money, where is the return? Will they be around next year? Year after?

One of the best posts in this thread.100%
Again, this is the difference between a desperate recruiter like Gaypier and an experienced "had my heart broken one too many times" super-prepared recruiter like Mario.
I'm thinking this post is good enough that it should be split out into its own Mario recruiting philosophy thread. Its going to get lost in this massive thread and that would be a shame. @TheOriginalCane , what do you think?

Gaypier lurches around, and thinks that he is going to impress a kid by demonstrating how much he is desired. "See, I'm not recruiting anyone else, you're our #1 guy, I won't even take a second kid at the position". If you go back and look at the timeline of Gaypier's recruiting at this position when he was hired, and you look at the Gaytor postings, it kinda goes in a linear direction. In February, they though they were getting A. In March, it shifted to B. In April it became C, and now in May and June, Jaden Rashada is suddenly the most important recruit on the board. Same reason the Gaytors were left pulling their puds when they whiffed on Citizen and Perkins.

Meanwhile, we probably need to do some re-education on some of the Canes fans, because they are more accustomed to "horse-race" recruiting, like what Gaypier does, instead of what Mario does. For six months now, I've watched people like @Cribby and @LeedsCane and a few other significant insiders tell us that "Mario has multiple candidates for every job opening", or that "Mario has sooooo many recruits who he is interested in, many that you're not even aware of", while the same-old crew of Canes fans runs around ONLY believing in interwebz-published news articles. If Ferman or Shodell or Gaby or someone similar doesn't "write an article" about a recruit every few weeks, that MUST mean that Miami has "cooled on him" or stopped recruiting altogether.

These same fans just look at our ranked offer lists and think that our coaches are recruiting in a numerically sequential order. If we don't get #1 on the list, we got out-recruited, or some such nonsense. The reality is that Mario recruits everyone he offers, some more quietly than others. Mario never gives up, he has flipped or pulled guys that many fans have given up on (Skinner, Citizen) and he believes it is important to "even finish 2nd" in the Portal Era. So the "old way" of cutting off contact with a recruit once he picks another school is NOT how Mario is going to operate.

I said it earlier, I think our priority order is Rashada-Moore-Williams. I think MARIO HIMSELF has the longest/strongest relationship with Rashada, having nothing to do with what his "official star ranking" is. I think our OC has a lot of affinity for Moore, and our QB Coach was the one to discover Williams. That's why I think we are prioritizing the way that we are. Fvck Rivals. Fvck 247. Fvck on3. And if we somehow missed on all three of those guys, Mario is coolly and calmly going to focus on Portal 2023 for another QB.

That's why this is different. Mario doesn't want to be locked into the old approach of working down your recruiting board in a linear fashion. Look at the Gaytor boards, they thought that because Miami was "hosting Williams" that we were "out on Rashada". BECAUSE THAT'S HOW THEY OPERATE. But that's not how Mario operates.

Get used to it. We are going to have a LOT more options as long as Mario is coaching. We are not going to be throwing money and personal blowjobs at players that we have made ourselves desperate for because we have no fallback options.

And knowing Mario's personality, I'm sure he is stating this in a very honest no-pressure fashion to these recruits. The recruits know **** well that Mario has several recruits for every position, and that he likes them all and could live with any of them. And that while a quick decision is HELPFUL, Mario doesn't want a rash decision that results in a premature commit and an eventual decommit, because LATE in the recruiting cycle is when everyone gets desperate to fill spots that they previously thought were filled by a guy who just decommitted.

Go back to the BEGINNING of the Gaytor Tears thread. This is EXACTLY what McSharkfvcker used to do at Florida. He'd get flustered at the end of every cyle and take the highest-rated available candidate, which often left him with red-flag kids who didn't stick.

We ain't the Gaytors. They have Billy's Army, we have a Cristobal Hulk.

Well Done Reaction GIF

Advertisement
It's just easier to say "Miami" than to try to list individual NIL sponsorship companies associated with the university.
I get it, but what happens (especially with the media) is people who don't know any better start thinking UM is paying NIL or controlling it.

There's a separation, albeit some schools are more closely coupled with their recruits and NIL boosters.

y
Because now it's legal. Because now, in certain ways, you can take a deduction for it. So when John Ruiz pays LEGAL money for advertising services, he gets a business deduction, and the "net" impact of the expenditure is only 75% of what it was in cash (since you get an approximate 25% tax benefit of the deduction, 21% fed, and approximately 4% net state tax deduction).

So if you gave ILLICIT money to a kid, say $100K, you had to spend $100K of your own "after tax" money (assuming you didn't have a corporate slush fund to steal from). Meaning, you might have had to EARN $125K to net your way down to $100K, then you couldn't even take a deduction on the $100K. But if you can spend $100K of your CORPORATION'S money, not your own personal money, it only costs the corporation $75K after the income tax deduction.

Does this explain EVERY situation? No. Some of the "rapid" increases in dollar amounts have to do with supply and demand. There is QB scarcity on the supply side (there are not 65 great QBs every year to fill all the P5 rosters), and there is competitive demand between the top schools. The good QBs are not fungible, they are not all the same. If a school really, really, really wants Nico, they have to pay significantly more than others, particularly if you are trying to get a Cali kid to move to Knoxville (which is not a terrible city, it's just very different culturally).
no distespect intended, but there are some math issues with this...

but the biggest issue is the $100,000 the recruit was getting under the table was not taxed (yes, that was illegal) to the recruit. so, the recruit now needs ~$125k to net ~$100k after they pay their various self-employment taxes.

Also, I do not feel QB is scarce on the supply side, at least not anymore. The Portal has changed that. G5 QBs will bounce to P5. P5 schools will lose QBs who don’t want to sit and wait. Lower paying P5 will lose QBs to higher paying P5 schools. Brennan Armstrong averaged 400 yards a game last year. Will Rogers 364. Jake Haener 315. Tanner Mordecai left OU and put up 302 per for SMU. Devin Leary, Aidan O’Connell, Sam Hartman…..the list goes on and on. You can put up crazy stats without 5star QBs and by poaching proven QBs over HS kids.
Kind of off topic but a lot of quarterbacks who put up huge numbers are products of the system they play in. Especially guys at the G5 level who aren't going up against future NFL players on a weekly basis. For example, Armstrong's worst passing game and Leary's second worst game were against a Miami defense that wasn't even good. If you're planning on beating the Clemsons and Alabamas of the world, you can't afford to cheap out on a quarterback. Unless you're Georgia and you have 5 stars at every single position besides QB.

Advertisement
I believe this is going to be the biggest factor in "keeping prices reasonable".

Desperate money will land some players. But if the coaching and the chemistry sucks, those big-ticket acquisitions will deliver very few wins and zero rings.

Once you get a few years of "actual results" to build the Saban/Jimbo/Day/Mario argument, then I think you won't have as many (successful) efforts to overpay to buy one's way out of obscurity. Not because the schools won't offer, but because smarter kids will see through the pretense.

I think it'll be a **** show for a number of years and naturally correct itself to a degree (busts, overpaying not resulting in success, etc). But I say this now not really knowing what kids were getting paid under the table before. I don't think it was in the realm of 2mil a year though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back