Official QB Jaden Rashada: COMMITS… & then Flips to the gator… & then the gator welches on the payments so he doesn’t enroll and rescinds NLI

The money Rashada wants is more than a bag lol.
Arkansas posted saying he wants $2M a year lol that’s outrageous! Tennessee really screwed up the market price for a 5star.

If that’s what he’s asking for, the Rashaad’s are wildin lol we can’t pay a guy $2M to be our back up QB for at minimum 1 year lol

Advertisement
I'm good on passing here, especially if he ends up being a flight risk if he gets here and can't beat out Garcia and Brown
I agree with this, my counter point would be I think if you land him you make a statement to other guys you are trying to get in the class.

I dont think anyone is saying they don't want Rashada and that we shouldn't go after him or that we dont have the ability to pay him a big NIL. But there are realities to deal with too. Nobody has unlimited resources (maybe outside T A&M)) and you still have to try and get the best return and value regardless of how large those resources are.

The question is not do we want him. The question should be is the value of getting him on the team worth potentially disrupting an already solid and young QB room, paying at the very top of the market for one position and tying up a huge amount of resources that could have been deployed to strengthen other more needed positions? I wont even get into the possibility of him transferring out for lack of immediate playing time or team chemistry issues that can come with ultra bag chasers.

I guess these are things only the coaches can answer but its fun to debate
That creates such weird optics potentially for A&M. Suppose their financing is above and beyond everyone. Each quarterback gets a $10M NIL. Each wide receiver a $5M NIL. Each DT a $8M NIL. The total budget being around $150M per year, so far and above the ability of everyone else. The entire team is five star players (except for punter and kicker). Consistently.

What is the reaction to a team like that? Is it taken in stride - that A&M is the CFB equivalent of the New York Yankees in a no-cap MLB? Or does it decrease interest, not only in fans but in other schools maintaining a football program that has no hopes of competing? It will be interesting to see this play out.

I dont think anyone is saying they don't want Rashada and that we shouldn't go after him or that we dont have the ability to pay him a big NIL. But there are realities to deal with too. Nobody has unlimited resources (maybe outside T A&M)) and you still have to try and get the best return and value regardless of how large those resources are.

The question is not do we want him. The question should be is the value of getting him on the team worth potentially disrupting an already solid and young QB room, paying at the very top of the market for one position and tying up a huge amount of resources that could have been deployed to strengthen other more needed positions? I wont even get into the possibility of him transferring out for lack of immediate playing time or team chemistry issues that can come with ultra bag chasers.

I guess these are things only the coaches can answer but its fun to debate
It's like how NFL teams try to manage their salary cap, minus the creative contracts that are sometimes employed. Do you devote most of your cap resources towards quarterback - like Baltimore did with Joe Flacco - to the expense of the rest of your team. Or do you go lower with QB - as Seattle was able to do with Russell Wilson on a rookie deal - and devote the resources to other key positions.

The key differences of course are the transfer portal and lack of a NIL cap.

Advertisement
Great QB play can mask deficiencies…….see Burrow, Cam Newton whose teams weren’t complete but they willed them boys to some NCs.

I’m cool with buying a top QB each year
You're not wrong but what top kid is going to come here to sit for 2 or more years? TBH, I would almost question this kid's judgment if he did come here unless he just has that much confidence he will step on campus in January or June and take the job from both Garcia and Brown. There have to be better options for him.

Arkansas posted saying he wants $2M a year lol that’s outrageous! Tennessee really screwed up the market price for a 5star.

If that’s what he’s asking for, the Rashaad’s are wildin lol we can’t pay a guy $2M to be our back up QB for at minimum 1 year lol
Is he bringing in $2m of business for the car dealership / local BBQ house etc that he signs his NIL with? Or have we completely thrown the pretence that these are anything other than legal bags out of the window at this stage?

Last edited:
Is he bringing in $2m of business for the car dealership / local BBQ house etc that he signs with NIL with? Or have we completely thrown the pretence that these are anything other than legal bags out of the window at this stage?
I don’t know how credible the Arkansas poster is. The guys on that site think he’s reputable but who knows. Even if it’s half, $1M a year it’s like WTF! The NFL minimum is $600k lol you want a $1M to redshirt and then “compete”. If it’s true and this is the new normal for QB recruiting my mind is blown. He better be a Heisman candidate lol

Advertisement
Cribby is there concern with the other QB's in the room if they give Rashada the type of money he's requesting?
I don’t want to speak on this too much but the issue isn’t how the qb room will react to it. As I’ve said UT threw everything out of whack , so either the money gets dumber or the market resets. It’s getting ridiculous and fast.

…you guys realize this **** has been happening behind closed doors for years right? What, you do don’t think Bama, Ohio St, UGA, etc. were dropping hundreds of thousands on recruits through churches, handlers, boosters, etc.? But now that most (key word, shady stuff is still happening) of the monetary action is out in the open, y’all think it’s ridiculous?

A company’s stock is a reflection of the company itself + what the market deems its value is. There’s good deals and bad deals, and you can break down the numbers all day long. Same thing is happening here with how teams are evaluating talent that is being considered essential to their future success…now if you don’t agree on the price? That’s your problem - don’t buy it or invest in it.

Maybe it’ll correct itself, maybe it won’t…but even a correction won’t eliminate the behind-closed-doors action.

Is he bringing in $2m of business for the car dealership / local BBQ house etc that he signs his NIL with? Or have we completely thrown the pretence that these are anything other than legal bags out of the window at this stage?
Only reason it wouldn't be thrown out the window is if someone thinks in earnest that people will make a car buying decision based on an 18 year old they had never heard of who sits on the bench behind an experience player as the majority of these guys will do in their first year or two.

I know I wouldn't, but I guess I can only speak for myself. What It does provide though is an outlet for businesses to spend money on advertising that can/want/need to.

…you guys realize this **** has been happening behind closed doors for years right? What, you do don’t think Bama, Ohio St, UGA, etc. were dropping hundreds of thousands on recruits through churches, handlers, boosters, etc.? But now that most (key word, shady stuff is still happening) of the monetary action is out in the open, y’all think it’s ridiculous?

A company’s stock is a reflection of the company itself + what the market deems its value is. There’s good deals and bad deals, and you can break down the numbers all day long. Same thing is happening here with how teams are evaluating talent that is being considered essential to their future success…now if you don’t agree on the price? That’s your problem - don’t buy it or invest in it.

Maybe it’ll correct itself, maybe it won’t…but even a correction won’t eliminate the behind-closed-doors action.
This isn’t a couple hundred grand.

Advertisement

I won't say it isn't possible, but I would find it hard to believe individual people were getting in excess of a million dollars per year under the table. I am sure there were tens and even hundreds of thousands in rare cases, but the sheer volume has to have exploded. Maybe I am way wrong.

This isn’t a couple hundred grand.
You’re absolutely right it isn’t - but if you consider the revenue a star player could potentially bring in for a program and local businesses - these players have every right to chase the bag.

Now millions? Yeah that’s a bit much - but even if there’s a cap instituted, there will still be under-the-table deals just like the old days imo. I’m not really sure it’s possible to completely control it, and like you alluded to, that Tennessee deal set the tone.

Advertisement

It’s not outrageous money for a qb to start and be good though. It’s only a bad deal for us because we don’t have that need today or presumably next year if Garcia is good.

That’s why I think we should just reserve major QB money until we know we need a guy to come in and start by their redshirt frosh year. I’d rather spend all the money on the starting qb than spend a mill or two every year

That creates such weird optics potentially for A&M. Suppose their financing is above and beyond everyone. Each quarterback gets a $10M NIL. Each wide receiver a $5M NIL. Each DT a $8M NIL. The total budget being around $150M per year, so far and above the ability of everyone else. The entire team is five star players (except for punter and kicker). Consistently.

What is the reaction to a team like that? Is it taken in stride - that A&M is the CFB equivalent of the New York Yankees in a no-cap MLB? Or does it decrease interest, not only in fans but in other schools maintaining a football program that has no hopes of competing? It will be interesting to see this play out.
Yeah its interesting, cant see how its good for the game. Happy the kids are making money but there has to some kind of structure that keeps at least a little bit of competitive balance. There have always been haves and have nots but the spread is growing so fast that people across the country will have to at some point start losing interest in the sport.

It’s not outrageous money for a qb to start and be good though. It’s only a bad deal for us because we don’t have that need today or presumably next year if Garcia is good.

That’s why I think we should just reserve major QB money until we know we need a guy to come in and start by their redshirt frosh year. I’d rather spend all the money on the starting qb than spend a mill or two every year
I mean, we’re doing pretty good with NIL TVD has deals equavalent to at least a few hundred thousand dollars. Let’s just educated guess and round up and say $250-400k.

It’s outrageous that our potential Day 1/Day 2 NFL QB if he were decide to come back would be making $1.5m less than a guy who’s rated as the 5th best Hs qb in the country. Lol he can’t be making millions more than Jake and TVD lol it would literally create a divide on the team. Dudes would be like What the actual Fawk.

one thing these NIL deals are going to do is it will help keep the top kids at a school longer cause some of them will be making as much more than a 2nd/3rd round pick.

Advertisement
Back