Official QB Jaden Rashada: COMMITS… & then Flips to the gator… & then the gator welches on the payments so he doesn’t enroll and rescinds NLI

I mean, if you have a five star, All American at almost every other position, you can still win the title with an average quarterback.......if your opponent loses not just one but two 1,000 receivers in the championship game.

It just seems like it's much easier to have a great quarterback and fill in the team around him than to have a mediocre quarterback and try to fill out the rest of your roster with incredible talent.
Exactly. And we aren't even close talent-wise to what Georgia had last season. We need the QB spot to work out for us for at least two years.

Advertisement
Yeah and no. Is the quarterback who wins the championship automatically the best QB in the nation? Of course not. There's plenty of great QBs on average teams. But, QB is the biggest difference making position in all major sports. A great QB will make a bad team respectable. You rarely see a really great quarterback on a 2-10 team. So while I don't put a ton of weight into the team's record you have to assume a game changing quarterback, especially at lower levels like high school, should be able to elevate a bad team to the point where they're at least respectable.
That would be highly dependent on the coaching staff. There are plenty of HS coaches who couldnt coach their way out of a paper bag. Much less coach up a QB or let him backyard ball his way to victoryn

Y'all really gotta stop this stuff. Bennett was not average last year. Far from it.

NOW...if you wanna say that the talent around him made him look better than he is, and/or that the overall team talent put him into situations that are more ripe for success than a team who is getting blown out every week, there might be a little bit to that. But I don't care how you slice it, he was really good overall last year.

Passer rating -- 4th
YPA -- 3rd
Completion % -- 33rd

No QB in the entire country threw more TDs on fewer attempts than he did. 9.89 TD%, which is insanely good (TVD was 7%, for example. Bryce Young 8.46%)

Only threw 6 INTs.

He can also run, he had over 250 rushing yards, and remember sacks count against QB rushing numbers, so that's nothing to sneeze at.

Also, he didn't play the entire season. He didn't play at all in the first game vs Clemson, and barely played against South Carolina in Game 3 (only threw 3 passes). So he wasn't getting first team reps in camp, nor early in the year before JT packed it in.

Again, I'm not saying the kid is the #1 pick in the draft. But you can't call him average. They didn't ask him to win games for them like Bama did with Young, and a lot of other teams do. He definitely was more of a game manager. But you can't put up the 4th best rating in the country and the 3rd highest YPA with a sky-high TD rate and very few turnovers, win a natty, and people call you average. He might look average. And he might have some average attributes. But he played at a very high level for them. He reminds me a lot of a more athletic Ken Dorsey in a very similar situation. You think Dorsey was an average QB?
I agree with your comp. Like you stated, his stats were a lot more impressive than people realize.

He also benefited from the 3rd best avg field position to start a drive, the best red zone against TD defense in CFB since 2009 and a killer amount of 5 stars on that team, many of which where on defense.

But he didn’t fvk it up and he was extremely efficient on offense and was the leader they have been lacking in forever.

1655748029100.png

I agree with your comp. Like you stated, his stats were a lot more impressive than people realize.

He also benefited from the 3rd best avg field position to start a drive, the best red zone against TD defense in CFB since 2009 and a killer amount of 5 stars on that team, many of which where on defense.

But he didn’t fvk it up and he was extremely efficient on offense and was the leader they have been lacking in forever.

View attachment 190597
Thats ******* absurd.

From the gator boards it sounds like Ruiz wants to humiliate the Gators by getting him to commit to UM or at least drive up the price for UF.

The meltdowns from the Gators have been classic so far and the cost of him committing to Miami would be worth it to watch those inbreds implode.

lol at thinking Ruiz determines what he does based on personal vendettas.

Advertisement
Man, I can't wait until Sunday. We'll be at 500 pages by then arguing over these two QBs. I really don't care anymore. Mario and Gattis are in the driver's seat with both kids clearly wanting in, and they can decide who they want on the bus.

Advertisement
Georgia had a ******* historic defense and benefitted greatly from Alabama losing their best receiver.

The circumstances you need to have in order to compensate a mediocre QB (and Bennett played at his ceiling in a loaded team) are insane and not sustainable for longer periods of time anymore. Even Georgias defense got shredded.
Agree to a point but I personally don't think elite QB play is needed to win a Natty. I believe elite trench play is needed though. I would take elite trenches over an elite QB any day of the week. Yes the goal is to be loaded at every position but I value trench Play more then I do QB play at the college level. Just think of all the special QBs who never won a lot in college because they didn't match up up front. You can find a QB in the portal who you can win big with if the rest of your roster is set.

Now go down the rest of the list of recent champions. This one off example is very impressive but it’s not common at all.
Go through the lists. You'll find more one offs that had great defenses. But you'll also find those that had sustainable success has both great QBs and great defenses.

Just look at Oklahoma. They've been to the playoffs more times than us but over the last 20 years, they have the same number of national championships as us. Go back 30 years, same thing. Oh wait, they had a "game manger" for QB (but still a great defense).

View attachment 190597

Correct.

They've been stockpiling talent constantly for the past 2 years, but they were pretty **** talented in 2019 as well. What was a major difference?

Jake Fromm was 53rd in the country in passer rating
70th in YPA
65th in the country in completion %
Only threw a TD on 6.15% of his passes
"Ran" for -12 yards on the season

That team had D'Andre Swift, James Cook, George Pickens, Zamir White, Brian Herrien, Lawrence Cager, Andrew Thomas, Isaiah Wilson, and Ben Cleveland up front, multiple kids on defense who were drafted in the first 2 days between 2020 and 2021........

So what was the difference? A little more talent, they shipped James Coley's useless *** out of town and hired a real offensive coordinator, and Bennett is simply a better player.

Agree to a point but I personally don't think elite QB play is needed to win a Natty. I believe elite trench play is needed though. I would take elite trenches over an elite QB any day of the week. Yes the goal is to be loaded at every position but I value trench Play more then I do QB play at the college level. Just think of all the special QBs who never won a lot in college because they didn't match up up front. You can find a QB in the portal who you can win big with if the rest of your roster is set.
The chance of building elite trenches is far lower than getting elite QB play simply because of the volume of players you have to recruit, coach and simply get vs others.

Alabama has become even more dominant simply because they had Hurts, Tua, Jones and now Young. Saban started going in heavy on QBs after Ohio State kicked his butt.

Advertisement
Having one of the greatest defenses in the modern era, and an opponent that lost all of its best weapons to injuries, certainly helps take the pressure off of a scrub QB.

I’m just not sure how repeatable that strategy is on a yearly basis.
True but those other teams that won also we're loaded up front as well with elite WRs.

It’s like we are talking in circles. UGA won because Bama had Mechie out for the game and Williamson got injured in the game. When they played earlier they got run out of the stadium and that was a generational defense UGA just had. So essentially if you have one of the best defenses ever on paper and the other team loses it’s top two weapons, you can win the chip…
Well yeah the goal is to be loaded everywhere but I think a healthy Bama team wins even if they swap QBs with Georgia. Good but not great QB play can win you a Natty if the rest of your team is set, we see that all the time. What we don't see is a elite QB carry an average roster to a Natty .

Correct.

They've been stockpiling talent constantly for the past 2 years, but they were pretty **** talented in 2019 as well. What was a major difference?

Jake Fromm was 53rd in the country in passer rating
70th in YPA
65th in the country in completion %
Only threw a TD on 6.15% of his passes
"Ran" for -12 yards on the season

That team had D'Andre Swift, James Cook, George Pickens, Zamir White, Brian Herrien, Lawrence Cager, Andrew Thomas, Isaiah Wilson, and Ben Cleveland up front, multiple kids on defense who were drafted in the first 2 days between 2020 and 2021........

So what was the difference? A little more talent, they shipped James Coley's useless *** out of town and hired a real offensive coordinator, and Bennett is simply a better player.
With Justin Fields at QB, that team most likely has back to back Championships.

Advertisement
Normally I would agree with you, actually but this is just a personal thing. Call it petty but if this wasn’t Florida? I don’t think Miami would be nearly as diehard about winning this recruitment. Miami sees a chance to put Billy and his army in the dumpster so they are going to, same with having Baxter troll Florida with false hope. Mario is interested in winning against the big boys in recruiting but he wants to put UF on FSU’s level.
Lil Dicky Yes GIF by DAVE

The chance of building elite trenches is far lower than getting elite QB play simply because of the volume of players you have to recruit, coach and simply get vs others.

Alabama has become even more dominant simply because they had Hurts, Tua, Jones and now Young. Saban started going in heavy on QBs after Ohio State kicked his butt.
Yeah but Bama is also loaded at RB,WR,OL,DL,LB and DB. I'm just saying if had to pick between elite trenches and elite QB play I would take trenches. In the NFL I would take QB though

Advertisement
Back