QB and WR Chemistry - Look at LSU last year

JB7-FTW

Sophomore
Whenever I think about QB WR chemistry my mind always goes to Joe Burrow and his year with Jefferson and Chase. They all wanted to make it happen and put in the reps outside of practice. Spent all of the summer running routes and getting the timing down so when it came to game time, execution was perfect. Natural talent was there obviously, but the hard work of Burrow and the two WRs made it translate. For those of you who care about star ratings, Jefferson was a low 3 star in HS and is now already a top WR in the NFL.

If these kids want to produce at an NFL level they have to work at an NFL level and I really am not sure if any of our starters at WR this year did that except for Harley.
It's a two way road and I doubt that either of Wiggins or Pope were willing to put that time in with King. I hope the young guys from last years class and the freshmen next year are willing to put the work in with TVD/Garcia. Major talents coming in and major talents on the roster already sitting on the bench. There is no reason the WR group should be this weak. When King eventually does leave, it's up to TVD/Garcia to step in with their prebuilt connections with WRs and be a successful offense.

As for King next year, it's going to be tough depending on his injury. King in his interview about coming back cited being able to practice in full with his WRs without too many COVID restrictions as a major improvement point next year. Without the ability to get more reps in its going to be hard for King to build those connections. Ideally as the freshman from this year mature physically and skill wise, they get starting reps instead of Wiggins/Pope. Super ideally, King's injury isn't as severe as we thought and he can get those valuable reps in leading up to the Bama opener next year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back