QB and OL Still Our Albatross In '18

I think talent at OL and QB has improved but it's mostly unproven. I've read that if Donaldson wants to play tackle he's going to have to lose more weight. That's a big task. He had to drop a bunch of weight just to get down to around 345-350 where he played last year. The coaches want him under 320 if he's going to be moved outside. I think he may end up at guard for at least one more season, maybe his whole career. I think St. Louis and Hillary end up at left and right tackle respectively. With Gaynor and Donaldson at guard and Gauthier at C. This is probably their most experienced lineup combo. They've got decent depth options on the bench too with Scaife and Hebert. They have the talent to be one of the better lines we've had in a while, let's see if Searles can earn his paycheck. I'm not really impressed with his work so far.

The QB situation is an oddity. The returning starter, the only guy with game experience, is the least talented QB on the roster. I'm of the opinion that Rosier has maxed out his ability and is limited physically. You don't all of the sudden become an accurate passer after three years of being erratic. He was able to keep the boat afloat most of the season with his timely play and running ability but the recipe for beating Miami was obvious from week 1. Load up to stop the run and dare Rosier to beat you. He was able to do that just enough against the weaker competition but it's not enough if Miami wants to win the conference. Or at least give Clemson a better game in the ACCCG. If neither Perry, or Weldon can surpass Rosier this season, we need to take a serious look at what the **** Jon Richt is doing with the quarterbacks. We don't need them to be Baker Mayfield. We just need them to consistently hit the open receiver when teams gang up to stop the run. A more balanced attack with a more accurate QB will improve every facet of our offense including short yardage and goal line. Teams could play man coverage in short yardage against Miami last year because Rosier couldn't hit a guy on a three yard slant. Just the slightest upgrade in accuracy will change the whole dynamic of the offense.

Advertisement
I think an accurate QB makes life easier for a struggling OLine. Richt can devise ways to get the ball out quick, thus negating the inexperience or lack of dominance up front.

LT is the one big worry on the o-line. The QB play shouldn't be worse. Even if the freshmen fall on their faces, and Rosier somehow won the job I would expect him to improve incrementally and for his weapons to be better than what he had at the end of the year too. At guard we should be fine. Our RG returns and at LG, Mahoney and Gaynor are serviceable players with experience and Scaife is an elite talent though he may figure in at tackle.

Advertisement
LT is the one big worry on the o-line. The QB play shouldn't be worse. Even if the freshmen fall on their faces, and Rosier somehow won the job I would expect him to improve incrementally and for his weapons to be better than what he had at the end of the year too. At guard we should be fine. Our RG returns and at LG, Mahoney and Gaynor are serviceable players with experience and Scaife is an elite talent though he may figure in at tackle.

An improved running game would help Rosier look marginally better, if he was to be the starter. I'm also looking forward to what should be some outstanding RB depth.

Donaldson pretty much played as you would expect a true freshman to play. He was a good drive blocker but needs a lot of footwork help in pass blocking. Loss of weight would probably help. If it doesn’t improve there’s no way we can use him on the outside

An improved running game would help Rosier look marginally better, if he was to be the starter. I'm also looking forward to what should be some outstanding RB depth.
Going to be hard to improve the running game if Rosier can’t keep a D honest.

Dis all the way, meng. Howevah, I think Scaife can start at LG and I'd leave big Navigator at RG. Gaynor is a backup, imo

Maybe. One things for sure. We actually have some real depth. May the best man win. Feels nice to say that.

Advertisement
Yes, your horror stories about our DL concern me. But........I still say the OL and QB will make or break us in '18.

Nobody has a clue about the QB situation, which is understandable. But what about the OL? It HAS to be better. Will it? Some of y'all are wiser in the ways of the OL personnel and unit, and can probably make a educated prediction?

Having no shot at short yardage downs or first and very short goal possessions, and way too many runs for no gain IS an albatross 'round the programs' neck. It haunted us last season, and will surely cost us dearly in '18.

Tell me we got this, so I can focus on the depravity of our DL situation.

If the OL struggles in 2018, it is because Searels sucks balls. There is plenty of Good Talent.

We have very good talent on the OL theyre just young.. Will need another year before we start to see their real potential turn into something. But I expect a lot of improvement from last year even with youth being an issue.

The QB position is perfectly fine, the version of Malik Rosier that started last season won't be good enough to win the job this year.

Yes, your horror stories about our DL concern me. But........I still say the OL and QB will make or break us in '18.

Nobody has a clue about the QB situation, which is understandable. But what about the OL? It HAS to be better. Will it? Some of y'all are wiser in the ways of the OL personnel and unit, and can probably make a educated prediction?

Having no shot at short yardage downs or first and very short goal possessions, and way too many runs for no gain IS an albatross 'round the programs' neck. It haunted us last season, and will surely cost us dearly in '18.

Tell me we got this, so I can focus on the depravity of our DL situation.

Smoke where'd ya go main, to your point, and your dead on on that short yardage, the guys who'v posted know way more than me about the o-line and it seems like we good. We should have no trouble puttin up points imo, we averaged pretty good last year and should be much better this year. Defense is my main concern, front 7, and Manny's ability to make adjustments before its to late, he sat back way to long last year before acting. If we somehow shore up our DL into having a good rotation, like maybe adding the two guys from clemson, i think we go back to ACCCG, and hopefully make a better showing.

Advertisement
I think our QB situation is fine ... this is college football and not the NFL... many teams start sophomore QBs and do just fine.

OL has never been a strong point in most of my years following the canes ... so I think we will have a good year.

Advertisement
Back