Freshman
Premium
Q&A with Miami coach Al Golden, Part I
April, 3, 2012
Apr 3
9:00
AM ET

By Andrea Adelson
Andrea Adelson had a chance to sit down with Miami coach Al Golden during a recent visit to Coral Gables. Here is a little of what he had to say.

I see Ryan Williams has had a nice spring with Stephen Morris out. Will he or any of the other quarterbacks you have competing this spring really push Stephen in the fall?

[+] Enlarge
Ryan WilliamsAP Photo/Kerry SmithRyan Williams, a transfer from Memphis, has had a nice spring and could push presumptive starter Stephen Morris this fall.
Al Golden: We want to see how these guys develop this spring. Certainly, Ryan, because he has game experience at the Division I level, is a little ahead of those guys but they’re all going to continue to get reps with the ones and we’ll see how they develop in the summer. Someone, if not all, will challenge Stephen between now and summer camp.

How is the situation playing out at running back with Lamar Miller gone?

AG: Mike James is doing a good job. He’s had a good offseason. Eduardo Clements has done a good job. We’ll work Dallas Crawford in there as well, and then we have two guys coming in. In that group, we have to see who emerges and obviously design plays to match their skill set.

Receiver is a position where you only have a handful of scholarship players this spring. How are they doing?

AG: Tired.

I’m sure.

AG: They’re taking a lot of reps. We just didn’t have any symmetry at that position and we didn’t have the type of depth that we needed so those guys are shouldering the majority of the reps. It’s good exposure and good experience for them, and we just have to be careful to change the personnel groups enough so they’re not getting overworked.

What questions about the offense have been answered so far?

AG: I think Michael and Eduardo -- Lamar is obviously a very talented player to replace -- and so I think those guys have answered the bell so far this spring. And hopefully the offensive line, although we’re not experienced beyond the starters right now or that deep, so far they’ve looked like they’ve been able to have some continuity and some ruggedness about them, which we need to continue to develop. Then, Rashawn Scott at receiver has done a nice job so far. Not that that’s been a surprise, but he’s brought his off-field and offseason program work ethic to spring ball, which has been nice.

Q&A with Miami coach Al Golden, Part II
April, 3, 2012
Apr 3
2:30
PM ET

By Andrea Adelson
Andrea Adelson had a chance to sit down with Miami coach Al Golden during a recent visit to Coral Gables. Here is a little of what he had to say.

I know depth is an area of concern. How are you working to address that this spring?

Al Golden: Any time you’re bringing in a class of 33, that’s three starting units. Obviously, those guys are going to have an impact somewhere on your depth. You never want to have a year where you take six receivers or seven defensive backs, but the symmetry at those positions was not good. It was not vertical depth. It wasn’t fifth-year seniors, fourth-year seniors, juniors, sophomores, freshmen, then incoming guys. It didn’t exist. So that was a blanket approach of trying to bring in a lot of guys to fix a depth issue. Between the depth and those guys challenging for playing time as starters, that’s going to improve our team. I’m not worried about playing young guys. We’ll find a way to get them in a game if they’re talented and they learn it and they’re in good condition. I don’t care whether they’re freshmen or seniors, I just need guys who want to execute.

You lost some senior leaders. How is that aspect of your team developing?

[+] Enlarge
Al Golden Robert Mayer/US PresswireCoach Al Golden has been impressed with the physicality of the linebacking corps this spring.
AG: So far it’s been good. Mike James and Eduardo Clements at running back, Stephen Morris at quarterback. (Brandon) Linder on the offensive line has been very good. David Perry at tight end has been a nice surprise for us. Allen Hurns at wideout has done a nice job with the leadership. Defensively, (Ramon) Buchanan will be a leader for us, Ray Armstrong will be a leader for us, Jimmy Gaines has been and will be a leader for us. It’s been positive in terms of that. We just have to continue to develop leaders and give them opportunities to lead.

How about some questions that have been answered about your defense so far?

AG: I think the one thing that jumped out in the (first scrimmage) is we had a lot of linebackers that played physical. So that part of it was good. Even the young guys, [Raphael] Kirby was physical, Gionni Paul was physical, Denzel [Perryman] was physical on top of [Tyrone] Cornileus and Jimmy Gaines and those guys. Seeing that was good. We tackled a lot better in Scrimmage 1 this year than Scrimmage 1 a year ago, which was important, and we’re still trying to develop our depth on the defensive line and at cornerback. Those are two positions we need to bolster this spring.

Speaking of the defensive line, you don't have many players with starts or experience. What do you want to see out of that group this spring?

AG: I want to see, like Curtis Porter, I’d like to see him take his game to the next level. Darius Smith has got to continue to improve. Then we’re going to have a host of other guys at the defensive tackle position that need to compete and improve their game. At defensive end, Shayon Green’s had a good spring for us so far, and really at defensive end, we’re going to have in addition to what we have right now, we’re going to have three defensive ends coming in that are going to have to compete for starting jobs and also add depth.

Right now, do you have any idea of what team you will have in the fall?

AG: We have a long way to go. I just think before these other 23 players come in, because 10 are here now, you have to assess where you are at every position and see how they come out of it. We have a long way to go to get through spring ball, and then from April 14 until Aug. 5 there’s a great opportunity for them to grow and develop. It’s too early to assess where we are right now as a team.

A year into the job, what are your impressions of coaching at Miami, a place where championships are always expected?

AG: We’re not at that level right now. The first order of business when you’re trying to fix something or you’re trying to build something is to recognize where you are and then to not only plot a course but then to follow that path, follow that strategy and execute it. I’m glad the standards are where they are, and I’m glad we produce NFL players, and I’m glad we have so many things to offer young people. It’s the reason why you take the job. But we can’t jump from where we are right now to there without taking all the steps we need to take in between. We’re just trying to implement our schemes and our system and follow the process on a daily basis.

Advertisement
Good stuff O. This team will really benefit from the infusion of talented, competitive freshmen.

I like it...AG has a plan and I hope he is able to implement it. I also hope for the first time in many decades, that Miami has a coach who has a long term plan and sticks around. Tired of the coaching merry-go-round. 10+ years would be really nice to see.

i like that he points out that we arent on a championship caliber level yet. all fans should realize this but some want to think that since we are the U that we should win one this year. i think we are about 2-3 years away from being in the top 10. i love the way golden is building this team and i am willing to wait a couple years to get this thing fixed.

Advertisement
crossover22[]_[];378985 said:
i like that he points out that we arent on a championship caliber level yet. all fans should realize this but some want to think that since we are the U that we should win one this year. i think we are about 2-3 years away from being in the top 10. i love the way golden is building this team and i am willing to wait a couple years to get this thing fixed.

I agree....

Cue Nites comment....

Golden is an interview master. Not a reporter in the world that can **** with him.

Advertisement
Q&A with Miami coach Al Golden, Part I

A year into the job, what are your impressions of coaching at Miami, a place where championships are always expected?

AG: We’re not at that level right now. The first order of business when you’re trying to fix something or you’re trying to build something is to recognize where you are and then to not only plot a course but then to follow that path, follow that strategy and execute it. I’m glad the standards are where they are, and I’m glad we produce NFL players, and I’m glad we have so many things to offer young people. It’s the reason why you take the job. But we can’t jump from where we are right now to there without taking all the steps we need to take in between. We’re just trying to implement our schemes and our system and follow the process on a daily basis.

I think a lot of us, as U Fans, need to really grasp that statement. We're not national title caliber team yet, so that expectation is ludicrous.

+rep for crossover as he has made not of this as well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back