Putting Miami's 2014 Season into Historical Perspective

HurricaneVision

Staff Writer
When I was reviewing prospects for the 2015 NFL Draft, one thing kept popping up from NFL talent evaluators that I would read: “How could a Miami team with all that talent finish 6-7?”

That statement piqued my interest and led me to wonder if their season was truly an outlier, or just another case of a talented team underperforming expectations and talent level. Given the fact we all are wanting to review the job Golden did, I needed a set end point, and since 2005 was the year Golden was hired for his first coaching job at Temple, ten seasons is a nice sized data set- and a round number- I decided to go back to 2005 and build a database of each team that had a finalist for the Mackey Award (Walford in 2014), a 1st round pick at OL (Flowers), two first round picks in the draft (Flowers, Dorsett), or a Butkus award finalist (Perryman). I decided to limit my database to merely finalists for a major award that we had a finalist for last year. This means that Miami was even more of an outlier due to the fact that Duke Johnson was one of 10 semi-finalists for the Doak Walker award (best RB) and the Walter Camp offensive player of the year award.

From 2005-2014, there were 29 teams with a Mackey Award finalist on their team. These teams averaged 9.6 wins, 3.5 losses. Over this timeframe, 27 of the 29 teams had a winning record- 93.1% of teams (Miami in 2014, Minnesota in 2006 did not). 18 of the 29 teams won double digit games- 62% of teams.

There were 56 teams with a first round OL on their team. These teams averaged 9.0 wins, 4.0 losses per season. Over this timeframe, 49 of the 56 teams had a winning record- 87.5% of teams. 21 of the 56 teams won double digit games- 37.5% of teams.

There were 59 teams with at least two first round picks in the same season. These teams averaged 10.2 wins, 3.0 losses per season. 57 of the 59 teams had a winning record- 96.6% (2014 Miami, 2010 Colorado did not). 39 of the 59 teams had double digit wins- 66.1% of teams.

There were 42 teams with a Butkus award finalist on their team. These teams averaged 9.4 wins, 3.7 losses per season. Over this timeframe, 35 of the 42 teams had a winning record- 83.3% of teams. 21 of the 42 teams won double digit games- 50% of teams.

One other team over the past 10 seasons had the combination of a Mackey finalist, 1st round OL, two 1st round picks, Butkus award finalist on their team- 2009 Florida (13-1). Again, this doesn’t even include Duke. Florida had Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps at RB with Tebow at QB.

Over these 10 seasons, these teams met three areas of the criteria: 2014 Florida State (14-1), 2013 Ohio State (12-2), 2012 Notre Dame (12-1), 2010 Wisconsin (11-2), 2007 USC (11-2), 2005 Ohio State (10-2). Every single team that the award nominees that Miami had last year won at least 10 games. When you consider the fact that Miami also had a Doak Walker semi-finalist and the ACC Freshman of the Year at QB, you could reasonably argue that the 2014 Miami Hurricanes are one of the most underachieving football teams of the modern era, and without question over the last 10 seasons. I’m not sure you can put it any other way but to say that Golden had massive amounts of talent on last year’s team and completely mismanaged them into a losing record the likes of which we may not have ever seen before.

Advertisement
ETHERED

As I said in another thread, 2014 forever immortalized Folden as one of the worst head coaches of all time.

When I was reviewing prospects for the 2015 NFL Draft, one thing kept popping up from NFL talent evaluators that I would read: “How could a Miami team with all that talent finish 6-7?”

That statement piqued my interest and led me to wonder if their season was truly an outlier, or just another case of a talented team underperforming expectations and talent level. Given the fact we all are wanting to review the job Golden did, I needed a set end point, and since 2005 was the year Golden was hired for his first coaching job at Temple, ten seasons is a nice sized data set- and a round number- I decided to go back to 2005 and build a database of each team that had a finalist for the Mackey Award (Walford in 2014), a 1st round pick at OL (Flowers), two first round picks in the draft (Flowers, Dorsett), or a Butkus award finalist (Perryman). I decided to limit my database to merely finalists for a major award that we had a finalist for last year. This means that Miami was even more of an outlier due to the fact that Duke Johnson was one of 10 semi-finalists for the Doak Walker award (best RB) and the Walter Camp offensive player of the year award.

From 2005-2014, there were 29 teams with a Mackey Award finalist on their team. These teams averaged 9.6 wins, 3.5 losses. Over this timeframe, 27 of the 29 teams had a winning record- 93.1% of teams (Miami in 2014, Minnesota in 2006 did not). 18 of the 29 teams won double digit games- 62% of teams.

There were 56 teams with a first round OL on their team. These teams averaged 9.0 wins, 4.0 losses per season. Over this timeframe, 49 of the 56 teams had a winning record- 87.5% of teams. 21 of the 56 teams won double digit games- 37.5% of teams.

There were 59 teams with at least two first round picks in the same season. These teams averaged 10.2 wins, 3.0 losses per season. 57 of the 59 teams had a winning record- 96.6% (2014 Miami, 2010 Colorado did not). 39 of the 59 teams had double digit wins- 66.1% of teams.

There were 42 teams with a Butkus award finalist on their team. These teams averaged 9.4 wins, 3.7 losses per season. Over this timeframe, 35 of the 42 teams had a winning record- 83.3% of teams. 21 of the 42 teams won double digit games- 50% of teams.

One other team over the past 10 seasons had the combination of a Mackey finalist, 1st round OL, two 1st round picks, Butkus award finalist on their team- 2009 Florida (13-1). Again, this doesn’t even include Duke. Florida had Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps at RB with Tebow at QB.

Over these 10 seasons, these teams met three areas of the criteria: 2014 Florida State (14-1), 2013 Ohio State (12-2), 2012 Notre Dame (12-1), 2010 Wisconsin (11-2), 2007 USC (11-2), 2005 Ohio State (10-2). Every single team that the award nominees that Miami had last year won at least 10 games. When you consider the fact that Miami also had a Doak Walker semi-finalist and the ACC Freshman of the Year at QB, you could reasonably argue that the 2014 Miami Hurricanes are one of the most underachieving football teams of the modern era, and without question over the last 10 seasons. I’m not sure you can put it any other way but to say that Golden had massive amounts of talent on last year’s team and completely mismanaged them into a losing record the likes of which we may not have ever seen before.

In the new spirit of love, inclusion, pillars, bricks, etc, and to celebrate that

Firing Day is 77 away

[video=youtube;GvJmItP7BbU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvJmItP7BbU[/video]

While we do celebrate, let us not forget our Cane brothers that are still lost in the "cloud" of whatever. Pray that they may see the light of the train in the tunnel that's going to run over them in a mere 77 days.

Regarding Mr Fraulden the Incompetent's recent glance into the sky, perhaps he was looking for the Alien Frog UFOs that were later mistaken for the game delaying lightning? Perhaps he was looking for the dove of peace? I prefer that he was wishing to be on that plane, getting out of Dodge, ASAP. Thank you, Mr Fraudster.

[video=youtube;wl2YYzEoE5E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl2YYzEoE5E[/video]

Advertisement
b68vo9.jpg

its borderline intentional how much you have to get in the way to accomplish what they did last year

Advertisement
Advertisement
Did any of the coaches of the teams mentioned in the analysis have a corch who had his dreams crushed by his alma mater 9 months before the season began?

Advertisement
slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

One of the worst coaching jobs in college football history. Even John Cooper didn't squander talent on that level.

I want to view all of the data listed as reliable, I really do. I despise Golden as much as most of us on here. But wouldn't it be fair to also include how many night games each of the teams played? I seem to recall night games have been scientifically proven to be more difficult and challenging.

Also, I think including any mercury retrograde patterns as well as "noise" levels would be fair and beneficial.

fire this fat fvkk

but but but..we are 2-0 and headed in the right direction. All this b!tching distracts soft shouldered fans

FIRE this SOB yesterday!!!

Advertisement
Back