Pruitt Out at Tennessee

Maybe Manny should have stayed patient re: DC hire. Not that Pruitt would come here or that he's realistic, but there will still be moves in the coaching carousel that will make some folks potentially available.
The idea that we couldn’t hire a DC is only floated about by people who are looking to let Manny off the hook for his dumb decision.

There were literally dozens of options, Manny simply didn’t want a DC, he had no plans of moving on from his buddy Bake but he knew he couldn’t justify leaving him as the DC, so he took back over DC in order to save face from making yet another bad coordinator hire.

We could’ve very easily hired a new DC, money was not an issue & it didn’t have to be Kevin Steele or bust.

The reason why Manny didn’t hire a DC was because he didn’t want one, because he still believes his Defense is not a problem. It’s the tired old trope of, “It’s not the play calling, it’s the execution”.

Advertisement
The idea that we couldn’t hire a DC is only floated about by people who are looking to let Manny off the hook for his dumb decision.

There were literally dozens of options, Manny simply didn’t want a DC, he had no plans of moving on from his buddy Bake but he knew he couldn’t justify leaving him as the DC, so he took back over DC in order to save face from making yet another bad coordinator hire.

We could’ve very easily hired a new DC, money was not an issue & it didn’t have to be Kevin Steele or bust.

The reason why Manny didn’t hire a DC was because he didn’t want one, because he still believes his Defense is not a problem. It’s the tired old trope of, “It’s not the play calling, it’s the execution”.
Tried to tell people diaz wasn’t going to give up on that scheme after all these years hence why baker wasn’t fired. Every move he made was to appease the fans. He really didn’t want to make changes and that’s why he really didn’t fire anybody

I'm positive he figured signing T-Rob would be enough to get people to stop looking for heads to roll. That was nothing more than a ploy imo.

At least three other assistants fired "for cause" along with Pruitt, possibly others who aren't named publicly yet.

Brian Niedermeyer, Shelton Felton and Bethany Gunn (director of football recruiting) are the ones whose names are out there right now.
News conference currently happening. Pruitt and 9 others including on and off the field. Described as numerous serious violations. Steele announced as interim HC.

Advertisement

I agree in part, however I think the fact that he relived Baker of his gameday duties implies that he believes "its not the scheme, it's the playcalling."

I don’t know why more people are not looking at the dominos falling around in the SEC and bringing up concern that T Rob could pull a Mario and leave real quickly.
If Manny loses T-Rob ala Golden and Mario it would a massive cluster f^ck. The only reason the DVD promotion is even palatable is that he would be learning under T-Rob. If T-Rob bolts to a higher-paying SEC job (Georgia is more likely than UTenn), then Manny is in trouble and we got played...again!

Advertisement
There's been a lot of "talk" about how difficult Pruitt is to work with and some of the shadiness behind the scenes. If true, i wonder how many bridges he's burned along the way, including the one at Alabama, and how many safety nets he has left right now.

It will be interesting to see where he lands.
He's the dude that essentially was bullying Mark Richt and Thomas Brown wanted to fight. I highly doubt we look at him.
Hes apparently an *** hole...so likely fits in going back to Bama

Advertisement
Looks like Fulmer is “retiring”.

if he leaves for that dumpster fire, good riddance.

If Manny loses T-Rob ala Golden and Mario it would a massive cluster f^ck. The only reason the DVD promotion is even palatable is that he would be learning under T-Rob. If T-Rob bolts to a higher-paying SEC job (Georgia is more likely than UTenn), then Manny is in trouble and we got played...again!
My concern is much more based on Georgia- That said TN has deeeeeep pockets and may want to pay 2 million for a DC who can recruit? or maybe Muschamp ends up DC at GA and we know they can afford whatever they want- or maybe Muschamp doesnt want the GA DC job but recommends his pal TRob for it...again a 2 million dollar job possibly....

Anyone who is sleeping easily on these changes in the SEC is nuts.

Advertisement

LCE how much of it do you think was Baker giving CMDs DEF his own "touch"? Few things I noticed with Baker that I never saw before he arrived was our DEs standing up, and our DEs playing in zone coverage....I could be wrong but those are two things I noticed about Blake's DEF that was diff from Manny's DEF. I think they agreed on the schematic principles but Manny gave him a little rope to see if he could do it "Baker's" way while still conceptually staying true to Manny's DEF.

I admit I'm one of those that felt like Manny took a hard stance of Steele or "wait" but...here me out...is this the result of Manny ultimately deciding to run his DEF going forward similar to how your OC/HCs (LRiley-DMullen etc) run their OFF? I think if it works, we'd be okay with it, but my definition of it "working" is tangible success that materializes into annually winning the Coastal division and our floor being in the 9-11 wins range. I'm okay with CMD betting on himself if it works, as I can't imagine why OFF Coor guys can double act as HC but a DEF guy can't or shouldn't.

Because a real DC would've told Manny to take that Austin Texas-ish BS Defense he runs, and to stick it up his Lispy ***....

I know college football is a cutthroat business and these coaches all know that but I still hate to see this stuff happen to one of the legit good guys in the sport like Jeremy Pruitt.

Hopefully Tennessee will make the right decision and allow Clay Travis full control of their next coaching and AD hires.
My Man GIF by memecandy

Advertisement
Back