Prospect vs. Freshman: Bryant and Briscoe

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Here is a breakdown between 2013 Atlantic Delray DT Keith Bryant and Miami freshman Jacoby Briscoe.*

Size: Briscoe
This may be Briscoe's best asset. At 6'4, 285 there is no doubt he is college ready from a size standpoint. Bryant's pundits have pointed out that he isn't a prototype from the defensive tackle position. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in quickness and aggressiveness. Briscoe's long arms could cause fits for opposing quarterbacks as well.*

Quickness: Bryant
This is probably Bryant's best on-field attribute. He explodes off the ball and finds his way into the backfield almost on the snap of the ball. Briscoe shows a good amount of quickness for his size as well, but Bryant is just special in this category.*

Power: Briscoe
This was the toughest of all to decide from. While Briscoe has the obvious size advantage, Bryant utilizes his lower-body strength extremely well. Briscoe seemingly throws linemen to the side with his massive body and he uses his hands well. He's going to have to work on staying low, but that will come with coaching.

Pursuit: Bryant
Another area that Bryant is exceptional in is pursuit. His motor never stops running and gets after the opposing QB till no end. He totaled 13.5 sacks last season, which is an extremely high number for a defensive tackle. Briscoe show good anticipation and is reliable against the read option, which is a very important attribute for a defensive lineman in today's age of college football.*

Versatility: Briscoe
Briscoe played mostly at defensive end in high school, but projects to play a lot inside at the next level. Bryant is a DT only. Briscoe will be able to play end in the 3-4 and can play inside in the 4-3.*

Upside: Briscoe
Briscoe's size gives him the advantage in this department. He has the size of an NFL Lineman coming out of high school. 4 years of proper coaching and development, and he will have a long career at the next level ahead of him.

Bottom Line: I am a huge fan of Bryant and he is the safer bet of the two. He will play and be a major contributor from Day 1. He is ahead of Briscoe right now, but Jacoby's physical attributes lead to him having a higher ceiling. He was a late bloomer at the high school level, which is a sign that there is a lot of growing for him to do as a player. Something that can't be quantified about Bryant is his attitude. He is nasty on the field and has that throwback Miami attitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5sImI41DDg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irW-szX4qBI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't see much of a comparison between the two...it is at least a very tough comparison...

Keith Bryant is your classic 43 one gapper.
I see Briscoe as more of a fit as a classic stack and shed end.

A lot of people have projected Briscoe to play DT, so that's why I decided to use him with Bryant. Earl Moore wasn't really a fair comparison because Bryant is just so much better. I wanted it to be more even

Good stuff Peter.

Only question I have about Bryant is his commitment level. If you had to put a number on it, percentage wise, what would it be? Just seeing some articles on other sites that intimate he may be wavering.

Thanks.

Advertisement
Briscoe is gonna be special. In 2 or 3 years I think he will be dominating opposing lines. I think the 2012 class had a lot of hidden gems that people will look back in a few years and be amazed by the talent al golden brought in. Gabriel terry is one of those as well as Briscoe.

Great write up and analysis Peter. Really enjoying these. The future potential of these two and Bostwick is very high. Bain has the physical attributes. With some hard work he too could be a real force. It's been a long time since we've had tremendous depth at the DT position.

I like Bryant better as a prospect. He just seems like a near sure thing and can do everything his position demands at a high level.

I'm a big fan of the hidden gem, Briscoe, and his potential is through the roof. The better write-up (IMO) wouldve been Briscoe and Bain

A lot of people have projected Briscoe to play DT, so that's why I decided to use him with Bryant. Earl Moore wasn't really a fair comparison because Bryant is just so much better. I wanted it to be more even

Briscoe will probably be a defensive tackle here, this is true...just don't see the comparison to Bryant...A) Bryant is a lot better and B) different types of players.

I'd like to see Briscoe take a 'shirt and in the future I'd like to see if the kid can play some stack end, inside and out. But, 'Canes already list ol boy at 310...might be 325 when he's a grown *** man.

Briscoe v. Quay Bain would have been a fun comparison.

Advertisement
ImU2daDEF...CLF said:
Good stuff Peter.

Only question I have about Bryant is his commitment level. If you had to put a number on it, percentage wise, what would it be? Just seeing some articles on other sites that intimate he may be wavering.

Thanks.

He is 100% solid

Biscuits said:
Peter - Love these, and thanks for them.

What do the asterisks mean?

Asterisks don't mean anything. It just popped up when I posted it, idk why lol

Last edited:
I don't understand how all the SEC schools weren't throwing the kitchen sink trying to get Briscoe. He looks like an absolute steal for us considering we got him from Louisiana. Really excited about this guy

Advertisement
I don't understand how all the SEC schools weren't throwing the kitchen sink trying to get Briscoe. He looks like an absolute steal for us considering we got him from Louisiana. Really excited about this guy

Didnt really get attention until the playoffs last year and specifically the state champ game where he absolutely dominated. Just kinda a late comer. Had he played like that earlier, I'm sure a lot more schools would've been all over him.

I don't see much of a comparison between the two...it is at least a very tough comparison...

Keith Bryant is your classic 43 one gapper.
I see Briscoe as more of a fit as a classic stack and shed end.

+a milli

Would just love to see Jacoby get some time at DE, many people on the boards say he is DT only. Great size and speed one of the strongest players on the team coming in ,would be a match-up nightmare for teams. With him and Chick on the outside and the Plug and Porter strong inside, just who do you double up on. Run defense would be stout and free LB,s for coverage. The big plus here is he played DE in high school and played it very well.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back