Pro Football Focus: NCAA WR Drop %

Tim

Recruit
Don't want to spend the $$ to learn what I already sense. Looks like among WR with 50+ targets, Pope and Wiggins are 5th and 9th worst in NCAA. Here is the link for any of you who subscribe:

Advertisement
adam ruins everything hands GIF by truTV

Wiggins was worst in the ACC
Pope was 2nd worst in the ACC

Minimum 50 targets.

I can’t make sense of this in my head. Both these kids were highly rated recruits. Pope was a 5-star. If either went elsewhere, the staff would have been burned alive. So they came here. They’ve been coached for almost a year by a guy who put back to back 1st rounders in the league. And neither one of them can catch Covid in a nursing home. Honestly....wtf??? The two worst in the entire conference? How is that possible? Seriously. Is it just bad luck? Both had dozens of offers. Both are being coached by a guy who has a track record of his players producing. So, what gives? We are just completely cursed as a program and even the kids we get who are highly recruited literally cannot complete the basic fundamentals of their position? This is insane to me.

Our WRs don't attack the ball...they wait for it. That's the biggest problem I can see. There's no confidence if you are a WR and you don't attack the football. Even Brevin's play late in the game where they should have called PI, as frustrated as I was at the ref I was even more frustrated at Brevin. He allowed his momentum to take over and was falling away before the defender made contact. All he had to do was jump back into the defender and it would have been called PI 100% (even with corrupt refs). That same thing has happened to us several times this year. Our guys don't attack the ball.

Advertisement

Minimum 50 targets.

I can’t make sense of this in my head. Both these kids were highly rated recruits. Pope was a 5-star. If either went elsewhere, the staff would have been burned alive. So they came here. They’ve been coached for almost a year by a guy who put back to back 1st rounders in the league. And neither one of them can catch Covid in a nursing home. Honestly....wtf??? The two worst in the entire conference? How is that possible? Seriously. Is it just bad luck? Both had dozens of offers. Both are being coached by a guy who has a track record of his players producing. So, what gives? We are just completely cursed as a program and even the kids we get who are highly recruited literally cannot complete the basic fundamentals of their position? This is insane to me.
Being coddled and not being held accountable for their mistakes. Like one of the players dad tweeted. You coddle these guys you will get shot out of them

Advertisement

Minimum 50 targets.

They were top level WR for the high school level...

But weren't able to grow to the college level of athleticism needed...

That happens to lots of kids who peak in HS and slump in college.

Stay away from the gold feet global dude and spend some time on a jugs machine is my only advice for them.

Our WRs don't attack the ball...they wait for it. That's the biggest problem I can see. There's no confidence if you are a WR and you don't attack the football. Even Brevin's play late in the game where they should have called PI, as frustrated as I was at the ref I was even more frustrated at Brevin. He allowed his momentum to take over and was falling away before the defender made contact. All he had to do was jump back into the defender and it would have been called PI 100% (even with corrupt refs). That same thing has happened to us several times this year. Our guys don't attack the ball.
Attack it like a rebound in basketball, it's that easy to explain.
I've never seen receiver catch like them , especially starters in NCAA in my life.
On deep balls you see then catch with their elbows tucked to their hips, on over the shoulder catches? like WTF dude? Locate the ball with you eyes, hands above you're heads and catch with your fingers and look it in.
Two things typically happened to receiver who can't catch (outside of you suck donkey cck) is concentration and confidence.

An easy way to teach attacking the ball and not being afraid of it, have a QB and receiver about 15 yards apart with back and eyes facing away, the QB bullets it for their face with first whistle and second whistle tells the WR to turn around and catch. If you don't catch it you got a broken face or nose, basically figure it out or you dead brah!

Last edited:
Advertisement
They were top level WR for the high school level...

But weren't able to grow to the college level of athleticism needed...

That happens to lots of kids who peak in HS and slump in college.

I hear you, and not saying you’re wrong. But it’s just catching a football. I’m not even talking about getting bodied by DBs, which happened A TON this year. Or not being able to separate. Or anything physical. To me, that could be chalked up to peaking too early, not developing, etc. But these kids can’t catch WIDE OPEN balls. Especially Wiggins. The tunnel screen is a 15 yard throw with no one around him. The underthrown ball, the DB is on the ground and it hits him in both hands especially when he’s not even moving. BOTH of the top 2 leaders in drops? On the same time as 4 and 5 star recruits? That’s almost impossible.....

Advertisement
Back