Pro Comparisons: RB

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
Since it's the off-season, now would be a good time to debut a project I've been working on for a while. Here are some comparisons between Miami skill-position recruits and current NFL players based on skillset and physical gifts. This doesn't mean the recruits will turn out as good as these guys, but it is just a comparison of styles.

Today is the Running backs

Joe Yearby:Ahmad Bradshaw

Both of these guys are close to 5’9 but display an immense amount of power when running. Bradshaw is known for his punishing stiff arms while Yearby is notorious for his ability to run through bigger defenders. In terms of cutting and breakaway speed, both are similar but Yearby gets the nod when compared to an older Bradshaw.

Yearby: 5’9 180 pounds
Bradshaw:5’10 175 pounds

Yearby’s Highlights:[video=youtube;zIAS8GW-5SQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIAS8GW-5SQ[/video]

Bradshaw Highlights:[video=youtube;JxsvvXfSTNY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxsvvXfSTNY[/video]

Dalvin Cook: Jamaal Charles

Cook and Charles have next-level game speed that separates them from everyone on the field. When they see a hole, they hit top speed quickly and finish the runs in the end zone. The advantage I give to Cook is his strength, because he has the frame to put on some really good weight and become even more of a nightmare to tackle.

Cook: 5’11 195 pounds
Charles: 6’1 185

Cook's Highlights:[video=youtube;Zs_znz3kF3Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs_znz3kF3Y[/video]

Charles Highlights:[video=youtube;oOkTa3FVmu0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOkTa3FVmu0[/video]

Advertisement
For Jamaal Charles' tape, skip the beginning part because it's mostly track.

Tomorrow, I will release the receiver's version.

I like the comparison of cook to cj spiller... Spiller may have alittle better straight line speed but i think very similar players.

Advertisement
I like the comparison of cook to cj spiller... Spiller may have alittle better straight line speed but i think very similar players.

I thought that Spiller was a tad bit shiftier than Cook...but this is just coming from my memory of both. I haven't watched the highlights here or recently.

Cook reminds me of Lamar Miller. Yearby runs a little bit like Duke.

Cook is more explosive and likely to break ankles/tackles to get 5-10 more yards imo. Agree with Yearby running like Duke.

Dalvin does a wayy better job of staying on his feet at the same stage compared to Miller. Dude has also put in work in the offseason, really want to see if he takes that next step this coming season.

Like the comparison to Bradshaw, I wonder what a young mark ingram film looks like in comparison also. Not the physical freak but productive as ****

Advertisement
In retrospect, I think Lamar Miller is a very good comparable athlete to Cook. Both of their first step quickness is off the charts. However, I chose Charles as well because of his cutting ability. I tend to agree with some that Miller is a one cut type of RB, finds the hole and hits it as hard as possible without having to make many moves. Cook is that but with the moves.

I'm very particular when it comes to player comparisons, so I won't bring any negativity to the original comps, instead just add my own and why.

I think Yearby plays like Matt Forte. Same lean build, great burst and both have excellent feet. Yearby can break people down and make them miss w/o losing much, which is something that translates really well to receiving from the RB spot like Forte does so well. Both are naturals, not physically imposing but the kind of backs that never take a direct shot because they move so well in small areas.

Cook can be an Arian Foster, one cut and burn kind of back. I don't think that he's as good with his feet as Yearby, but any back that can set up angles can be deadly with speed cuts and speed like he has.

With Yearby really impressing with his pass catching ability, Forte could be a spot on comparison

I'm very particular when it comes to player comparisons, so I won't bring any negativity to the original comps, instead just add my own and why.

I think Yearby plays like Matt Forte. Same lean build, great burst and both have excellent feet. Yearby can break people down and make them miss w/o losing much, which is something that translates really well to receiving from the RB spot like Forte does so well. Both are naturals, not physically imposing but the kind of backs that never take a direct shot because they move so well in small areas.

Cook can be an Arian Foster, one cut and burn kind of back. I don't think that he's as good with his feet as Yearby, but any back that can set up angles can be deadly with speed cuts and speed like he has.

Matt forte is like 6'2 and Yearby is 5'9. maybe 40 pounds difference. I dont really see it in body type or style but cool

Advertisement

Matt forte is like 6'2 and Yearby is 5'9. maybe 40 pounds difference. I dont really see it in body type or style but cool

Body type, not size. Lean, but strong overall frame on Yearby will look a lot like Forte's as he adds weight (think relative to height), whereas a guy like Dalvin Cook seems to carry a lot of his weight in his upper body like Foster or Darren McFadden.

I don't even mind comparing players with completely different sizes if they have similar style. Matt Forte is a lot less jittery than Yearby. They actually run with completely different leans, as it would be difficult for Forte to be anything but upright at 6' 2".

I actually kinda like the Bradshaw comparison, as they both chop their feet the same way. Another comparison in terms of style is Vick Ballard.

Advertisement

i agree with the spiller and cook comparison. and i don't like the bradshaw comparison for yearby, bradshaw is a thick dude and runs angry. he seeks out contact despite being a smaleler (relatively) back. i would have gone warrick dunn there for yearby. nice wrietup either way.

i agree with the spiller and cook comparison. and i don't like the bradshaw comparison for yearby, bradshaw is a thick dude and runs angry. he seeks out contact despite being a smaleler (relatively) back. i would have gone warrick dunn there for yearby. nice wrietup either way.

That's what I was thinking with Bradshaw, people that don't watch him don't realize just how strong of a back he is. Yearby could add weight/muscle and never develop that mentality. I do like the Warrick Dunn comp, great feet and body control.

Advertisement
Back