Pride of Detroit Duke Johnson Scouting Profile

Advertisement
I've seen a ton of different comparisons to Johnson. Among those comparisons are Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Giovani Bernard and, most often, LeSean McCoy. Pretty good company if you ask me. [/B]

This writer lives in fantasy land. Yeah, you have to root for Duke, but the only comparison that makes any sense is Bernard, though tougher and more physically durable.

I've seen a ton of different comparisons to Johnson. Among those comparisons are Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Giovani Bernard and, most often, LeSean McCoy. Pretty good company if you ask me. [/B]

This writer lives in fantasy land. Yeah, you have to root for Duke, but the only comparison that makes any sense is Bernard, though tougher and more physically durable.

Yea obviously those are insane comparisons skill wise. I think he meant more of the shifty style of running.

Duke more durable? Lol ok

I think Duke Johnson reminds me of Barry Sanders, but only if Detroit drafts him.

If the Cowboys draft him, I think he reminds me of Emmit Smiff.

Advertisement
He has that Harry Gilmer vs Kentucky in '45 type potential

Or if that is too extreme, Bobby Marlow vs Delta State in '51

Guarantee Duke beats expectations in the league, at least those of Canes fans who have (understandably) become disenchanted by all things related to this program.

Barry Sanders was (at least so far) a literally one-of-a-kind talent. Nobody ever pulled those kinds of ridiculous moves before or since. I guess Shady is the most reminiscent of Sanders of the guys who are active today, and even he's a pretty straightforward back when you're comparing him to Sanders's level of jump-cut, spin move, stop-dead-in-his-tracks-then-zoom style. And Duke strikes me as a little more straightforward than Shady. Which is fine -- for most people, the straightest path that doesn't have people in your way is still the best.

Advertisement
I am a huge fan of Duke's, but Barry Sanders was in a class by himself.

[video=youtube;iKO_9iQs3l8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKO_9iQs3l8[/video]

Duke more durable? Lol ok

No, no, reference was to Bernard being tougher and more durable. Everytime Duke takes a hit you worry about him getting up or having to limp to the bench. Durability is the major question mark and why it's hard to project him as an every down back.

Bernard ain't exactly Larry Czonka. He's been hurt a lot.

But go ahead, Canes fans. Keep pounding our players to the point where one of our all-time greats can't even be compared to Bernard or McCoy without people screaming about how he's not at that level.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back