Prevent D on 2nd to last possession?

DeadPoets

Senior
After further review it wasn't as "bend don't break" as I thought.
We played man to man and rushed 4 (with AQM & Tyriq) on the first 3 plays of the series.

On 3rd and 3 we ran a stunt with AQM & Chick and unfortunately AQM had nowhere to go on the pass rush so he freelanced to the other side of the field & left his side of the field wide open for Driskell to buy 3 or 4 seconds before hitting a still covered UF WR for a cheesy big play.

It wasn't until the last play on that drive that we rushed 3 and dropped 8 into a "prevent"-esque defense. And of course UF WR was wide open for TD.

All in all it was a good game plan on that drive with the exception of maybe the last play.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I haven't rewatched the play, but my thought at the time was that it was a mistake.

After thinking about it, however, I am more inclined to think we executed poorly on the right call. No reason the UF player should have been that wide open, and given that we were at the point were we could just about run the clock out, it made sense to give up the underneath stuff to avoid a big play. UF had one time out, and every 20 seconds run off giving up 20 yard plays (which is what usually happens in a prevent), would have all but buried them by the end of the drive.

I think you have to call the prevent given the situation. We would be having the same discussion if we had stayed aggressive and put one up top on us. Given the rest of the game, I am willing to give coach D the benefit of the doubt that it was the defense that gave us the highest percentage of success, and that's all you can ask for.

Advertisement
Back