Preston Stone & SMU: Building a Group of 5 Power

The Dallas region is producing some high level QB's at insane rate.

For the 22 class, Dallas & the surrounding areas has about 6-8 legit 4-star high caliber passers with great arm talent.

Dallas got QB's & WR's by the dozen, Houston got the CB's, LB's, S's, DL's, WR's & RB's, they got some really good QB's too actually lol, Dallas has a good group of OL's too.

But the point is, Miami needs to recruit both regions heavily, I think Houston area kids would be more receptive of coming to Miami, but I think we can get us a good Dallas QB too just based off the fact they don't all stay home at UT & they're almost always looking for a system they can play in early. Plus Lashlee knows the area well.

Still baffles my mind we got both Baker from Houston & Patke from just outside of Lufkin & we don't recruit there hardly ever for Defensive players smh.
I had really high hopes for Patke, He played with my cousin at SFA. He was a walk on that eventually started 3 years on Scholly at LB. he’s actually not a bad X&O’s guy. He’s a very easy guy to get along with I thought the jump to Miami would be really good for him. Thought we had a gem. And Patke is a Houston guy too. He played ball at Cy creek.. he was pretty good. That’s two coaches on the defensive side from Houston that don’t come down here and use their connections the way their supposed to

Advertisement
I had really high hopes for Patke, He played with my cousin at SFA. He was a walk on that eventually started 3 years on Scholly at LB. he’s actually not a bad X&O’s guy. He’s a very easy guy to get along with I thought the jump to Miami would be really good for him. Thought we had a gem. And Patke is a Houston guy too. He played ball at Cy creek.. he was pretty good. That’s two coaches on the defensive side from Houston that don’t come down here and use their connections the way their supposed to
I didn't realize Patke grew up in Htown, I just knew went to school at SFA in Nacogodoches.

That's crazy how we have 2 Houston coaches on staff & aren't down there planted in every class, extremely frustrating to me because my guys from Team Fast & All-En tell me all the time how those kids actually really like Miami & a lot of them would no doubt commit & sign here if we just put a little effort into recruiting them.

Last edited:
I didn't realize Patke grew up in Htown, I just knew went to school at SFA in Nacogodoches.

That's crazy how we have 2 Houston coaches on staff & aren't down there planted in every class, extremely frustrating to me because my guys from Team Fast & All-En tell me all the time how those kids actually really like Miami & a lot of the, would no doubt commit & sign here if we just put a little effort into recruiting them.
Oh yeah, for sure. You’re not crazy at all when you mention Houston the way you do. Dudes on here downplay it but a lot of these kids would be layups. High ranking guys too.

The part of the article I found insightful was reading Stone's motivations. I think we have to approach recruits on a case-by-case basis in terms of what drives their decisions. If a kid is the type to want to fill or exceed Ed Reed's shoes, play to that. If a kid is the type to want to blaze a trail, explain why we're a pathway for that. I'm not sure if we currently do or don't, but it does sometimes feel like we're not really in the details and instead painting our recruiting pitches with a broad stroke.

We can also just say "hey, we may end up with 2 total players at CB for next year, so... want a spot?"
Lu I said something similar to this effect about 5-6 yrs ago under Golden’s tenure. It does feel like we are broad stroking our recruiting pitches w/ a one size fit all approach (e.g: “put on for the crib”, “This is Miami”, “Look at our alumni”, “Come play in paradise”, etc.)

Not sure if this has changed, but again, it does feels this way.

I imagine a handful of their recruiting competitors (geographically or otherwise) wouldn't be incentivized to make Houston and SMU stronger.

I understand that, I just happen to think that it is kind-of a pvssy argument.

I wouldn't care if the ACC took UCF and USF, let's go out, recruit, and beat those fvcks.

I'm tired of the "let's not legitimize our rivals" nonsense, it's what has kept us (and F$U) out of the SEC for decades.

Advertisement
The part of the article I found insightful was reading Stone's motivations. I think we have to approach recruits on a case-by-case basis in terms of what drives their decisions. If a kid is the type to want to fill or exceed Ed Reed's shoes, play to that. If a kid is the type to want to blaze a trail, explain why we're a pathway for that. I'm not sure if we currently do or don't, but it does sometimes feel like we're not really in the details and instead painting our recruiting pitches with a broad stroke.

We can also just say "hey, we may end up with 2 total players at CB for next year, so... want a spot?"
I did that in NCAA ‘14 and recruiting was never an issue for me. Won 7 consecutive heismans and ships, but would still lose the occasional Broward guy.

SMU grad here. The chicks are smoking but were uptight bow heads in the 80's when I went there. Think times have changed though. Was there for death penalty and we never recovered. Dykes is the right guy, just like I think Manny is, and Norvell isn't. You have to understand culture and environment and play to those strengths.

It's fascinating to me how, from a school and city perspective, SMU and UM are so similar. Well-known private schools not too far from downtown Dallas and Miami respectively. Both had football programs with NCAA issues in the past, and are in talent-rich areas. And they're both in areas that, let's be honest, most of the players on the team wouldn't be welcome nearly as much if they didn't play football.

And both Miami and SMU try the "put on for the crib" approach. Driving through the Dallas area, you see billboards that say "Pony Up Oak Cliff/Mesquite/etc.)

The Dallas region is producing some high level QB's at insane rate.

For the 22 class, Dallas & the surrounding areas has about 6-8 legit 4-star high caliber passers with great arm talent.

Dallas got QB's & WR's by the dozen, Houston got the CB's, LB's, S's, DL's, WR's & RB's, they got some really good QB's too actually lol, Dallas has a good group of OL's too.

But the point is, Miami needs to recruit both regions heavily, I think Houston area kids would be more receptive of coming to Miami, but I think we can get us a good Dallas QB too just based off the fact they don't all stay home at UT & they're almost always looking for a system they can play in early. Plus Lashlee knows the area well.

Still baffles my mind we got both Baker from Houston & Patke from just outside of Lufkin & we don't recruit there hardly ever for Defensive players smh.
Don’t tell Dmoney this!!!

he hates OOS recruiting

Advertisement
It's fascinating to me how, from a school and city perspective, SMU and UM are so similar. Well-known private schools not too far from downtown Dallas and Miami respectively. Both had football programs with NCAA issues in the past, and are in talent-rich areas. And they're both in areas that, let's be honest, most of the players on the team wouldn't be welcome nearly as much if they didn't play football.

And both Miami and SMU try the "put on for the crib" approach. Driving through the Dallas area, you see billboards that say "Pony Up Oak Cliff/Mesquite/etc.)
TCU is also pretty similar...

But SMU could have been dead similar and might have won a Natty in the 80s with the way they were rolling for a bit...

except that whole “pony express” deal... yeah.

Don’t tell Dmoney this!!!

he hates OOS recruiting
Nah, I don't think he hates OOS recruiting, I think he's made it clear he believes the strategy should be to lock down the best recruits locally & then go national at certain spots.

Advertisement
Back