Presidential Rumors are swirling

No inside info-just a hunch. My gut says Stavridis. Not because of football but because of his national/international profile and his background as law school dean. I think that he has been the presumptive front runner and the University needed to get another name out there that would add some prestige to the search and give people/media something to talk about; and a Dean at Harvard does that. Stavridis allows the University to help elevate the law school's profile with someone who has international connections that will also help with the medical school. I have seen him speak and he is a well known, well respected entity who also happens to be from SoFl. With that said, I could understand why Frenk would be in the running too.

Fletcher School isn't a real law school, no JD:

http://fletcher.tufts.edu/Academic/Degree-Programs

Stavridis was all about talking to Iran in 2014; even he realizes it is looking to be a bad deal and further sanctions and even military options are needed:

http://fletcher.tufts.edu/News-and-Media/2015/04/02/Iran-is-Main-Ball-in-Middle-East-Dean-Stavridis

However, dissent from the party line in the world of theoretical academia is abhorred; lessons of history are routinely ignored. Again, Stavridis appeared to be a lefty's military dream with his "talk to Iran" comments, but the recent action of the FORSCOM CG to charge traitor Bergdahl is leading a trend of flag officers showing some backbone; this may have caused Stavridis to return to his warrior ethos somewhat (the Air Force Vice Commander of Air Combatant Command getting fired over A-10 remarks is another recent example). Stavridis' continued talking about what to do in the Middle East and emphasis, even though retired, on being an Admiral, MAY have hurt him in the final neck down to the selection.

Frenk appears to be capable of bringing the most important thing Miami needs: $$$$$$. He also probably will help the university's rankings, which have been on the downward trend since 2011's #38 ranking; "Harvard" has magical connotations to the university presidents who take 15 minutes to peer score everyone else's school.

Athletics?!? Who knows, maybe a Frenk hire will allow some Slim/Gates crumbs to fund an IPF.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That's all well and good...and it has nothing to do with my posts in this thread. I get that people are rightfully angry at her for not taking steps to fire Golden and right the ship. I get that people hate her because UM football has sucked since she's been prez. I don't get why that translates into people baselessly (and apparently in all seriousness, not jokingly) accusing her of criminal dealings with Shapiro and fraud at the med school.

FTR, I don't agree that her hires have all been "yes men." We've had one AD split to Nebraska and another head to Texas Tech, so obviously they either A) weren't very good yes men and/or B) were highly sought after and given more money elsewhere. The third and current AD is a guy with history at UM who many expected to become AD eventually anyway. I can't speak for the hires that she's made in other areas of university admin, but I think it's a real reach based on athletic hires to make the claims you've made.

Its much deeper than just not firing golden. She is the one who extended coker and refused to fire him after the 2005 season. Then fired him during the 2006 season only after he had an incident that created a PR mess for UM. Then she HIRED RANDY SHANNON. That has to be considered one of the more fraudulent moves of her reign of terror. Not only did she hire Randy but she paid $80K to Chuck Neinas to find us a coach....and then ended up hiring a guy who was already employed by UM. Randy was never going to question donna and she knew that.

As for the two AD's who bailed quickly, Im of the opinion that those guys took the job then quickly realized who they were working for and left. Given where they landed and the moves they've made since leaving, I think this is the most plausible scenario.

At the end of the day, people hate donna because she was at the helm of the complete destruction of UM football. Her decisions have DIRECTLY led to the program's collapse. Any and all ancillary attacks on donna spring from this core reason. I cannot hate on anyone who says anything bad about that woman. You can choose to split pubic hairs if you like but at the end of the day, she is the core reason why UM football is where it is today.

That's all well and good...and it has nothing to do with my posts in this thread. I get that people are rightfully angry at her for not taking steps to fire Golden and right the ship. I get that people hate her because UM football has sucked since she's been prez. I don't get why that translates into people baselessly (and apparently in all seriousness, not jokingly) accusing her of criminal dealings with Shapiro and fraud at the med school.

FTR, I don't agree that her hires have all been "yes men." We've had one AD split to Nebraska and another head to Texas Tech, so obviously they either A) weren't very good yes men and/or B) were highly sought after and given more money elsewhere. The third and current AD is a guy with history at UM who many expected to become AD eventually anyway. I can't speak for the hires that she's made in other areas of university admin, but I think it's a real reach based on athletic hires to make the claims you've made.

Its much deeper than just not firing golden. She is the one who extended coker and refused to fire him after the 2005 season. Then fired him during the 2006 season only after he had an incident that created a PR mess for UM. Then she HIRED RANDY SHANNON. That has to be considered one of the more fraudulent moves of her reign of terror. Not only did she hire Randy but she paid $80K to Chuck Neinas to find us a coach....and then ended up hiring a guy who was already employed by UM. Randy was never going to question donna and she knew that.

As for the two AD's who bailed quickly, Im of the opinion that those guys took the job then quickly realized who they were working for and left. Given where they landed and the moves they've made since leaving, I think this is the most plausible scenario.

At the end of the day, people hate donna because she was at the helm of the complete destruction of UM football. Her decisions have DIRECTLY led to the program's collapse. Any and all ancillary attacks on donna spring from this core reason. I cannot hate on anyone who says anything bad about that woman. You can choose to split pubic hairs if you like but at the end of the day, she is the core reason why UM football is where it is today.

Yeah, she really should be held accountable for not firing Coker after 2005, when we finished ranked #18. Because so many other presidents would have stepped in and fired him at that point, over the judgement of the AD.

And that Shannon hire...what the **** was she thinking. The guy was only one of the hottest assistant coaches in the country at the time, and had been in and around UM for nearly all of its national titles, and was willing to step up to the plate for a bargain price. I'm sure it had nothing to do with those facts--it was all just a liberal plot to make a "diversity hire" of a "yes man."

As for the two ADs, even in your scenario, you'd have to admit that she didn't hire "yes men."

At the end of the day, people don't think logically when their team loses. They want blood, and they are willing to believe anything bad about the person they feel is responsible for their team's losses.

Last edited:
First off, incompetence in hiring does not equate to criminality and fraudulent behavior.

Second, I'm going to call BS on some anonymous university-wide survey in which Shalala was deemed "very incompetent." I don't doubt that some people have beef with her, but I definitely doubt that the survey results in general were overly negative.

What if it wasnt incompetence but rather a political desire to surround herself with people who would never question her? And in doing so, she hired people who were not capable of managing the departments they were hired to run. Does that amount to fraudulent behavior? Criminal behavior?

As for what your doubt, go ahead and post that. Ive seen you "question" that survey in multiple threads on multiple boards. My guess is that you know more than you're saying or perhaps you're simply incapable of believing the truth. Feel free to clarify, if you'd like.

This board is full of "what if's" and short on actual facts.

A lot of folks here hate Shalala because of the poor performance of the football team. Some hate her because she's a liberal. Combine those two things and it's easy to see why many folks here love to accuse her of everything under the sun.

From where I'm sitting, it seems to be clear that Shalala did not know that Shapiro was a crook when she took his cash. I say "it seems clear" because UM's legal staff had checked his books and found nothing wrong--the same books that FBI itself had been keeping tabs on for years without successfully uncovering his crimes. So I find it difficult to believe that Shalala knew more than the FBI and UM's legal staff, that she could somehow intuit that Shapiro was a crook and therefore should not have taken his money.

Given that starting point--that is, the unfounded and unreasonable allegation that she knowingly took ill-gotten money--it seems like anyone who would parrot that line would have it out for Shalala and would be just as likely to spout other unfounded allegations of dirty deeds about her out of spite. Like, for instance, that she is responsible for fraud at the Med School.

FWIW, you haven't seen me "question" that survey in multiple threads because this is the first I've heard of its supposed existence. It strikes me as just another BS story without proof.

You keep making the FBI comparison but it's apples and oranges. There's a difference between being able to charge someone with a crime and doing due diligence as the head of an entity that's public perception is invaluable and realizing that a person is unsavory at best. Freaking Randy Shannon saw this. Donna and anyone that she presides over were just lazy. They wouldn't have taken the same legal money from a strip club owner or such so the bar and her responsibility to vet isn't as simple as determining actual criminality of the donor. It's insane to think she knew Shapiro was engaged in a Ponzi scheme but anyone taking real interest in who the guy was would have realized there was wayyyy more risk than reward in taking his money and allowing him access.

Exactly. You've got your head football coach publicly telling his players to STAY AWAY from the guy and your university president is accepting tens of thousands of dollars from him and granting him access to the very players their coach is trying to keep away from. SMGDH. And here you've got Capt. Save-a-troll riding in on his white horse to defend the indefensible. Because she's a leftist academic.

So now the story is that Shannon "publicly" told players to stay away? Never heard that one before. My understanding is that he never made a public announcement, that he never told the AD or Shalala of his suspicions re: the asshat Shapiro. But yeah, you're right...Shalala should have read his mind.

Yeah, she really should be held accountable for not firing Coker after 2005, when we finished ranked #18. Because so many other presidents would have stepped in and fired him at that point, over the judgement of the AD.

And that Shannon hire...what the **** was she thinking. The guy was only one of the hottest assistant coaches in the country at the time, and had been in and around UM for nearly all of its national titles, and was willing to step up to the plate for a bargain price. I'm sure it had nothing to do with those facts--it was all just a liberal plot to make a "diversity hire" of a "yes man."

As for the two ADs, even in your scenario, you'd have to admit that she didn't hire "yes men."

At the end of the day, people don't think logically when their team loses. They want blood, and they are willing to believe anything bad about the person they feel is responsible for their team's losses.

Your response here tells me that you are the one who refuses to think critically here. The folks who are on the other side of your endless debate have been seeing this for the better part of 15 years. This is not a one or two year "mouth breather" contingent.

I'll bow out of this discussion by saying that everyone knew coker should have been let go after the 2005 season. The hiring of Randy will always have been fraudulent. He was not some hot coaching commodity. He was an assistant coach on a staff where the head guy had just gotten fired.

And for you to make the comment that the two quickly departed AD's were not yes men hires proves my point, not yours. The only difference being that they didn't realize what they'd gotten into until AFTER being hired.

Hillary 2016!!!

Advertisement
Those who defend Donna really don't know just how awful and corrupt she is as an individual. Has nothing to do with politics or football performance but it has everything to do with character and integrity of which she has none.

Shalala is a crook and a sleaze. She's good at not getting caught, or actually just not being important enough, despite her grand delusional self-image, to have anyone care. Friends of Angelo, Nevin Shapiro, the Clintons, etc. How many crooks, ponzi schemers, and fraudsters does she have to surround herself with before some of the retards connect the dots?

Last edited by a moderator:
What if it wasnt incompetence but rather a political desire to surround herself with people who would never question her? And in doing so, she hired people who were not capable of managing the departments they were hired to run. Does that amount to fraudulent behavior? Criminal behavior?

As for what your doubt, go ahead and post that. Ive seen you "question" that survey in multiple threads on multiple boards. My guess is that you know more than you're saying or perhaps you're simply incapable of believing the truth. Feel free to clarify, if you'd like.

A lot of folks here hate Shalala because of the poor performance of the football team. Some hate her because she's a liberal. Combine those two things and it's easy to see why many folks here love to accuse her of everything under the sun.

From where I'm sitting, it seems to be clear that Shalala did not know that Shapiro was a crook when she took his cash. I say "it seems clear" because UM's legal staff had checked his books and found nothing wrong--the same books that FBI itself had been keeping tabs on for years without successfully uncovering his crimes. So I find it difficult to believe that Shalala knew more than the FBI and UM's legal staff, that she could somehow intuit that Shapiro was a crook and therefore should not have taken his money.

Given that starting point--that is, the unfounded and unreasonable allegation that she knowingly took ill-gotten money--it seems like anyone who would parrot that line would have it out for Shalala and would be just as likely to spout other unfounded allegations of dirty deeds about her out of spite. Like, for instance, that she is responsible for fraud at the Med School.

FWIW, you haven't seen me "question" that survey in multiple threads because this is the first I've heard of its supposed existence. It strikes me as just another BS story without proof.

You keep making the FBI comparison but it's apples and oranges. There's a difference between being able to charge someone with a crime and doing due diligence as the head of an entity that's public perception is invaluable and realizing that a person is unsavory at best. Freaking Randy Shannon saw this. Donna and anyone that she presides over were just lazy. They wouldn't have taken the same legal money from a strip club owner or such so the bar and her responsibility to vet isn't as simple as determining actual criminality of the donor. It's insane to think she knew Shapiro was engaged in a Ponzi scheme but anyone taking real interest in who the guy was would have realized there was wayyyy more risk than reward in taking his money and allowing him access.

Exactly. You've got your head football coach publicly telling his players to STAY AWAY from the guy and your university president is accepting tens of thousands of dollars from him and granting him access to the very players their coach is trying to keep away from. SMGDH. And here you've got Capt. Save-a-troll riding in on his white horse to defend the indefensible. Because she's a leftist academic.

So now the story is that Shannon "publicly" told players to stay away? Never heard that one before. My understanding is that he never made a public announcement, that he never told the AD or Shalala of his suspicions re: the asshat Shapiro. But yeah, you're right...Shalala should have read his mind.

You miss the simple fact that Randy, dude from Norland hood, new this smuck was dirty and warned his players, yet the brilliant super woman smilingly took his money and gave him photo op on top of it. Nobody is proclaiming Randy as some great mind capable of leading a major institution, but people like yourself continue to defend Donna the Hun(sorry Attilla) as some sort of great leader. Since she forces her politics into education then she can be judged by them. Like most leftest, her true agenda is seldom reflected in their words. For that you must look to one of their gods, FDR, who told us "in politics there are no co-incidents; if it happens then someone planned it." I am confident with FDR as a source claiming that 15 years of destruction in the football program was panned and executed by her.

Don't misunderstand, the BOT is to blame for all of it. Donna is just a very willing hired gunman who's desires fit nicely with the plan. She is a nasty individual who places her personal agenda above individuals and the school. THE U deserved better than her; it deserved better than this piece of crap BOT. Unfortunately, the BOT will probably pick someone worse than her next.

Advertisement

I never said he made a public announcement, did I? But it was COMMON KNOWLEDGE around the program that the players were to stay away from him. THAT MEANS IT WAS PUBLICLY KNOWN. Just because you never heard him say it, doesn't mean it wasn't said. And yes, I would assume that if the players knew, you're god**** right Shalala knew. Do you know for a FACT that she didn't know? That Shannon DIDNT warn her?

Geezus, people will go to extraordinary lengths to defend those with whom they are ideologically bound.

Donna is the member of the political elite; a singularly corrupt group of autocrats who face no higher authority.

Advertisement
Makes me shed tears of joy to see so many people with theirs eyes open about that miserable **** Shalala.

Was banned on CS nearly 8 years ago for talking **** on her then, with my handle "ShalalaKilledtheU".

Miami was her retirement project. It was all about her ego, making it appear like she turned thug U into Duke. Meanwhile in 15 years on the job she's ended up around 10 spots better in the US news, mostly via changing acceptance standards. It's a dog an pony show. Miami is basically the same institution it was, no better than UF, no worse than FSU; but with an albatross hospital and a gutted athletics program.

Advertisement

I never said he made a public announcement, did I? But it was COMMON KNOWLEDGE around the program that the players were to stay away from him. THAT MEANS IT WAS PUBLICLY KNOWN. Just because you never heard him say it, doesn't mean it wasn't said. And yes, I would assume that if the players knew, you're god**** right Shalala knew. Do you know for a FACT that she didn't know? That Shannon DIDNT warn her?

Geezus, people will go to extraordinary lengths to defend those with whom they are ideologically bound.

You said he "publicly told his players." He did not. He told them privately. Public knowledge is something that is known to (or shared with) the general public--not to a subset of football players at UM. "Common knowledge among the players" does not indicate that the AD knew, or that Shalala knew. You think the coaches keep Shalala informed of what they tell the kids on a daily basis? "Hey Donna, just want to let you know I told Kyle Wright to take off his hat in class and make sure he doesn't talk to any bad men."

Your confusion and misuse of the English language does not make me wrong.

And no, I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the situation. Neither do you.

However, it was stated repeatedly in news reports that Shannon did not take his suspicions to upper-level admin, so I take that reporting at face value. If he had, I'm fairly confident some allegations to that effect would have come out in the investigation; Shapiro himself never even alleged that Shalala knew of his activities with players, or even had suspicions about him.

Do you know of the existence of such allegations? Or are you just hoping that such things are true?

It's exceedingly funny that you call me out for being an ideologue when 90% or more of those who are so vitriolic in their hatred for her are themselves righty ideologues who hate the fact that she's a liberal.

Last edited:

You miss the simple fact that Randy, dude from Norland hood, new this smuck was dirty and warned his players, yet the brilliant super woman smilingly took his money and gave him photo op on top of it. Nobody is proclaiming Randy as some great mind capable of leading a major institution, but people like yourself continue to defend Donna the Hun(sorry Attilla) as some sort of great leader. Since she forces her politics into education then she can be judged by them. Like most leftest, her true agenda is seldom reflected in their words. For that you must look to one of their gods, FDR, who told us "in politics there are no co-incidents; if it happens then someone planned it." I am confident with FDR as a source claiming that 15 years of destruction in the football program was panned and executed by her.

Don't misunderstand, the BOT is to blame for all of it. Donna is just a very willing hired gunman who's desires fit nicely with the plan. She is a nasty individual who places her personal agenda above individuals and the school. THE U deserved better than her; it deserved better than this piece of crap BOT. Unfortunately, the BOT will probably pick someone worse than her next.

I didn't miss that fact at all.

You're making a leap to conclude that because Shannon had suspicions, Shalala should have known. And you're also wrong in that Shannon never publicly told players anything--he told them *privately* to stay away, and he reportedly never told the AD or upper-level admin of his suspicions about Shapiro, or of his request that players stay away from him.

And yet again, your political ideology is a clear part of your reason for disliking her. When you say things like "Like most leftists"...you kinda give yourself away.

Advertisement
Back