Preseason Rankings-9th,20th,24th,26th,NR,NR

Advertisement
Collegiate Baseball Announces Preseason Poll, All-America Teams - Atlantic Coast Conference | Official Athletics Site

The Canes are ranked 20th in the preseason Collegiate Baseball poll. Pretty decent given last season. We'll see where the rankings shake out in the many, many other polls. No preseason All-Americans.

That's surprising - did not expect us to be ranked with so many question marks. We could be decent if a couple of the newcomers/position players have good years.

Advertisement
I suspect the ranking (s) are in deference to Morris' last swing song. Regardless, we have "underperformed" preseason rankings for most of his tenure.

Ranked 24th in the Coaches poll. Not ranked by Baseball America.

Advertisement
There is an article on 247 about Romy playing a new pos. any idea what they are talking about?
They're messing with using him in RF - he may start there per the article. That tells me that (hopefully) they like a lot of the newcomers in the infield, and are looking for a way to maximize their offense/defense balance in the lineup and on the field. Romy's versatility seems to afford them this as an option to at least explore. If that's their line of thought - I like it.

I think Romy had talked about practicing some in RF in his media availability on Friday. Romy does have a good arm so RF might not be such a bad fit. He's currently splitting time between there and 2nd in practice.

Gil seemed to lock down 3rd in fall ball, and Escala played well enough to start while filling in for Zamora. I think the staff always intended to start Zamora at short. By possibly moving Romy to RF, they can do that and keep Escala in the lineup. I have a feeling I'll be holding my breath for the first month or so with a possible all freshman infield though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back