Predicting Top 10 Recruiting Classes for 2023

If I look at the 247 rankings for HS recruiting classes for the past 5 years and I draw the groups really narrowly, it looks like this:
Group 1 - Alabama, Georgia - One or both of these teams have been top 2 each of the past 5 seasons, and they alternated #1 classes from 2018-2021.
Group 2 - Ohio State, Clemson, Texas, Texas A&M, LSU - A&M was #1 last year, Ohio St has been #2 twice, Texas has been #3 twice, and Clemson & LSU have each had a #3 class in the past 5 years. Since 2019, the lowest ranking for any team in this group was LSU's #12 finish in 2022.
Group 3 - Oklahoma, Oregon, Notre Dame, Penn State, Florida, Michigan, Auburn - Remarkable consistency in this group. Over the last 5 years, the highest ranking for any of these 7 schools has been #6 (which Penn St. has done twice), and the lowest finish has been #22 (Michigan, 2018).
Group 4 - Miami, Tennessee, North Carolina, FSU - The highest finish in this group in the past 5 years is UM's 2018 class (#8). UM's last 3 classes (#16, #11, #16) have lagged behind UNC on average but have been better than FSU and Tennessee.
These are the only 18 programs whose average ranking over 5 years is lower than 20. The next lowest average is Kentucky (29.0). USC has had 2 small, low-ranked classes (2020, 2022), which take them out of the picture in the recent past; we all expect that to change.

For 2023, I think a reasonably optimistic goal is for UM to leapfrog Group 3 and land in that top 7-8. That means we'll have to out-recruit Clemson, LSU, Texas, or Texas A&M, or two of those schools, if USC leapfrogs us. I hope and expect that Mario and his staff can pull this off, but this is what we're looking at if we're talking about a top 7-8 class.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Heavily sleeping on Tennessee. I think they pull a very solid class this year. Heupel and their NIL collective is no joke. We will get ours though, I’d argue LifeWallet is Atleast as good if not better and we have a national recruiting ace now. Now that money is even, top 5 this year and top 3 each year after as long as Mario is delivering the goods ON the field

Not trying to be Debbie Downer here but we are not likely getting a 5* QB and not getting the best RB, WR, nor CB (probably missing on top 4) in the state. Unlikely to be a full class unless 15++ guys leave the program which also hurts rankings.

Advertisement
Lol yall make me laugh.

Manny Diaz had the 11th ranked class in 2020 and 11th again in 2021.

But you’re good with a top 15 class from Mario the recruiting guru?

Top 5 or it’s a fail.
This right here why are so many of you sniveling cowards lol.

Mario is quite literally x2 the recruiter that Manny is. Add in the bump class hype factor. Add in top NIL game. That alone should have us knocking at top 5 so long as we have a good season. If we manage to pull off 10 wins between a transfer talent infusion, much better staff and coaching? We WILL be in the top 5, potentially top 3.

Recruiting is no longer just about high school players. Really need to include portal transfers.
Are there rankings that include both?

Our season record will have a minor impact in our class ranking. The Díaz days are over.

Advertisement
Lol yall make me laugh.

Manny Diaz had the 11th ranked class in 2020 and 11th again in 2021.

But you’re good with a top 15 class from Mario the recruiting guru?

Top 5 or it’s a fail.

Manny's classes had CONSIDERABLE holes in 2020 and 2021.

In 2020, he only took 2 OL, 2 LBs (one of whom has transferred), and not a single big body on the DL.

In 2021, he took only 3 OL (two of whom were considered major projects) and 2 LBs, both of whom remain major question marks (and Troutman may get kicked off the team).

Where are our biggest holes right now? OL, DL, and LB.

That's not a coincidence. "Ranking" is misleading when the class isn't full. Many times the staff didn't have backup plans, or took fliers on kids that were G5 players.

Mario may finish 8-11 this year, but you can bet your *** he's going to build the depth this team is sorely lacking by FILLING THE CLASS. And if we have a solid season and convince some Top 50 players to jump aboard, the class won't finish 11th.

Unfortunately Riley will benefit from one of the easiest schedules in America in his inaugural season there; should only bolster recruiting…wouldn’t be surprised if they slid into the Top 2 tbh.

Literal joke of a schedule - anything worse than 10-2 is a failure imo.

View attachment 182796
**** that’s a weak *** schedule they should be favored in every game besides Utah and ND

Advertisement
Back