Spring PractiSe #2: Wednesday March 6

@Memnon, would love to understand more of what Chevis is teaching at the 1:22 and 3:57mark of this video.

- In the first drill, he repeatedly says "kick, kick, kick." I'm assuming that he's drilling patient feet and executing the kick step/shuffle when the receiver declares an outside release?
- In the second drill with the bag behind the cb, it seems like their working on not giving ground at the snap, rather, they're moving laterally across the length of the bag before kick stepping.
- In the third drill, coach sets it up with, "you go counter now. Step, go counter. All your work needs to be in front of this bag." It's hard to tell from the angle if the cb is head up, inside, or outside leverage on the wr, but the point of the drill seems to be pointed towards not letting the wr win inside.
- at 3:57 it seems like theyre working against a two way release
- at 5:33, are they focusing on reading the near hip?

I don't recall a lot of this technique during games last year. I believe they played off coverage or bailed at the snap. Is this the ground-up teaching that you've referenced in other posts? I don't know much behind the philosophy of the kick step other than reading about it when the legion of boom was in its heyday

The Kick step is to keep the CB square while reading the WR off his release so he doesn't get beat by over-stepping out his stance. You have to shuffle your feet & not get caught false stepping to either side while anticipating what the release will be. He tells them to stay low so they can keep the WR in front of'em & will be ready to break with the WR depending on the route. CB's sometimes have the tendency to stand up while in their back-pedal, but this allows for the WR to gain leverage to either side depending on the route & forces the Corner to open his hips too early which puts him behind in the route & usually ends up in him getting beat.

Most Corners get beat in the very beginning of the route, it's literally what I posted with the Damari Brown clips. He lost in those reps from the very first two steps of the route because he completely miss-stepped & opened early out of panic.

The bag drill they were doing is teaching them to maintain balance on their outside left foot so as to position themselves to jam allowing them to stay on top of the route & use steer technique to disrupt the stem. In that particular drill they're working on not falling for the outside-in release against inside leverage.

It's the same at 3:57, the point is to not get beat by a double jab or inside-out/outside-in release & mirroring the WR to get ahead of the stem by getting inside of the hip pocket & preventing the WR from stacking you at the top of his break. It's a preventive measure that essentially gives you a chance to break the stem & maintain leverage while transitioning in phase in the event of a Double move.

So for instance, if the WR is running an Out & Up, or a Sluggo, they usually will sell the fake to the outside as if they're running an Out, so they flatten their route coming out of the Outside release to get the CB to over commit on their backfoot leaving them out of position to recover fast enough to turn & get up field. The same goes for the Sluggo, it's just in the opposite direction, instead selling the outsode fake, the sell the inside slant & then stem outside. For Flag & Post routes they sometimes will use a Dino-stem which gets a lot of Corner caught in no-mans land & have them looking silly. Which is why it's important to disrupt/break the stem at the beginning of the route to stay in rhythm & staying on top the WR. The point of the jam is to give you the advantage while keeping the WR in front of you, rerouting & closing the distance getting chest to chest to make a play on the ball. You jam to steer while mirroring & countering to get ahead of the WR's stems & keep him from stacking you. Then once you read the route properly you flip & either get to the inside hip or play the outside shoulder (depending on the route), get your head around, locate the ball & attack. If you can't make a play on the ball to get a pick or a PD, you play through the WR's hands & disrupt the catch point.

It looks like this:
ezgif-5-e497d20ace (1).gif

Advertisement
The Kick step is to keep the CB square while reading the WR off his release so he doesn't get beat by over-stepping out his stance. You have to shuffle your feet & not get caught false stepping to either side while anticipating what the release will be. He tells them to stay low so they can keep the WR in front of'em & will be ready to break with the WR depending on the route. CB's sometimes have the tendency to stand up while in their back-pedal, but this allows for the WR to gain leverage to either side depending on the route & forces the Corner to open his hips too early which puts him behind in the route & usually ends up in him getting beat.

Most Corners get beat in the very beginning of the route, it's literally what I posted with the Damari Brown clips. He lost in those reps from the very first two steps of the route because he completely miss-stepped & opened early out of panic.

The bag drill they were doing is teaching them to maintain balance on their outside left foot so as to position themselves to jam allowing them to stay on top of the route & use steer technique to disrupt the stem. In that particular drill they're working on not falling for the outside-in release against inside leverage.

It's the same at 3:57, the point is to not get beat by a double jab or inside-out/outside-in release & mirroring the WR to get ahead of the stem by getting inside of the hip pocket & preventing the WR from stacking you at the top of his break. It's a preventive measure that essentially gives you a chance to break the stem & maintain leverage while transitioning in phase in the event of a Double move.

So for instance, if the WR is running an Out & Up, or a Sluggo, they usually will sell the fake to the outside as if they're running an Out, so they flatten their route coming out of the Outside release to get the CB to over commit on their backfoot leaving them out of position to recover fast enough to turn & get up field. The same goes for the Sluggo, it's just in the opposite direction, instead selling the outsode fake, the sell the inside slant & then stem outside. For Flag & Post routes they sometimes will use a Dino-stem which gets a lot of Corner caught in no-mans land & have them looking silly. Which is why it's important to disrupt/break the stem at the beginning of the route to stay in rhythm & staying on top the WR. The point of the jam is to give you the advantage while keeping the WR in front of you, rerouting & closing the distance getting chest to chest to make a play on the ball. You jam to steer while mirroring & countering to get ahead of the WR's stems & keep him from stacking you. Then once you read the route properly you flip & either get to the inside hip or play the outside shoulder (depending on the route), get your head around, locate the ball & attack. If you can't make a play on the ball to get a pick or a PD, you play through the WR's hands & disrupt the catch point.

It looks like this:
View attachment 284146
Thanks for typing all that out for people like me who don't know anything about that.

It looks like this:
View attachment 284146
Wow holy crap that is virtually perfect coverage. Where can we find some of those guys???

It looks like this:
View attachment 284146
Count Me In Lets Go GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Advertisement
@Memnon, would love to understand more of what Chevis is teaching at the 1:22 and 3:57mark of this video.

- In the first drill, he repeatedly says "kick, kick, kick." I'm assuming that he's drilling patient feet and executing the kick step/shuffle when the receiver declares an outside release?
- In the second drill with the bag behind the cb, it seems like their working on not giving ground at the snap, rather, they're moving laterally across the length of the bag before kick stepping.
- In the third drill, coach sets it up with, "you go counter now. Step, go counter. All your work needs to be in front of this bag." It's hard to tell from the angle if the cb is head up, inside, or outside leverage on the wr, but the point of the drill seems to be pointed towards not letting the wr win inside.
- at 3:57 it seems like theyre working against a two way release
- at 5:33, are they focusing on reading the near hip?

I don't recall a lot of this technique during games last year. I believe they played off coverage or bailed at the snap. Is this the ground-up teaching that you've referenced in other posts? I don't know much behind the philosophy of the kick step other than reading about it when the legion of boom was in its heyday

Same exact stuff that was taught under Addae. (like I've been saying) I've watched Addae and DVD do these exact drills at practice.

They're working press-man releases, with an emphasis on not giving ground/free release, making the WR stem his route wide. (hence the lateral kick steps by the DB)
The bag is behind the CB to force him to step lateral and not retreat backwards.

Same exact stuff that was taught under Addae. (like I've been saying) I've watched Addae and DVD do these exact drills at practice.

They're working press-man releases, with an emphasis on not giving ground/free release, making the WR stem his route wide. (hence the lateral kick steps by the DB)
The bag is behind the CB to force him to step lateral and not retreat backwards.
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. It's cool to learn the "why's" behind what's being drilled. It adds another dimension to understanding what I'm watching on gameday. I wanted to ask, is the decision to by the cb to play press, press bail, off, etc dictated by the call from the sidelines? Or does the db have discretion to use a particular technique? The reason I ask is that I remember seeing a lot of bail and press bail during games, going back to the Manny days. I'm just trying to put two and two together between this being taught in practice and then what I saw on saturdays. I'm also not saying that I NEVER saw press man or jamming at the line ever. I still vividly remember Bandy trying to jam the **** outta the unc receiver (sometimes winning, sometimes losing) haha.

Last edited:

It looks like this:
View attachment 284146
Appreciate the response and thanks for taking the time to write down all that detail. I can see the different elements of the practice video playing out in this clip. It's like watching art in motion, really. It will be interesting to see if the cbs can execute this technique at a high level and play with confidence. Thanks again

Advertisement
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. It's cool to learn the "why's" behind what's being drilled. It adds another dimension to understanding what I'm watching on gameday. I wanted to ask, is the decision to by the cb to play press, press bail, off, etc dictated by the call from the sidelines? Or does the db have discretion to use a particular technique? The reason I ask is that I remember seeing a lot of bail and press bail during games, going back to the Manny days. I'm just trying to put two and two together between this being taught in practice and then what I saw on saturdays. I'm also not saying that I NEVER saw press man or jamming at the line ever. I still vividly remember Bandy trying to jam the **** outta the unc receiver (sometimes winning, sometimes losing) haha.
It's a call by the DC.

Advertisement
Back