Spring PractiSe #2: Wednesday March 6

Very few here like to admit rival players are good... lots of portal has no good players, blah blah blah...

To our game... huge TD to extend the lead and huge punt return... mari0-2 against FSU... 🤮
I'm one of them and for the most part the NFL proves me right. Sometimes hating and being right can coincide... And sometimes they don't lol. I still believe Coleman won't stick for long.

Advertisement
Your right I don't know crap, but I know a push off and it would have been a catch without it. I also know it's not the game to use as an example of CB play.
View attachment 284108
"I also know it's not the game to use as an example of CB play."

The BIGGEST game of the year..!? Our RIVAL is not a good game to use for how our secondary performs???? Bahahahah! Get lost!!!
lucious lyon wtf GIF

Surely you're not using a true Freshman being beat by an NFL draft pick to prove your point.
I am.

Because #1, he's supposed to be the next in line as a starter & #2 it's an example of the astounding teaching he received last year.

I could've posted an entire thread of Jaden Davis getting worked like a rented mule but that's pointless because he's not here anymore.

The point is, the CB group has to basically be rebuilt from the ground up.

Your right I don't know crap, but I know a push off and it would have been a catch without it. I also know it's not the game to use as an example of CB play.
View attachment 284108
Just looking at stats in a vacuum completely overlooks the fact every one of those catches were for First Downs or a TD. The game winning TD nonetheless...

Those are critical plays in a critical moments that changes the outlook of the game. When you have poor technique & give up catches for chunk yards it extends drives & puts more pressure on your Defense to protect field position.

But whatever, I'm not about to keep wasting my time even trying to explain it.

Advertisement
I'm one of them and for the most part the NFL proves me right. Sometimes hating and being right can coincide... And sometimes they don't lol. I still believe Coleman won't stick for long.

He may not stick. We’ll see where he is drafted and how it plays out. He would have been WR1 here this year.

The point is we are missing lineman. Have brand new lineman. Lineman are rotating spots. It was already stated Samson was working with the 1s as well.

It probably makes sense to have a lineman who knows all of the calls and blocking schemes in their with the 1s since you’re also breaking in a new center and QBs who are generally responsible for calling out blocking schemes/alignments.

You guys have not played football if you don’t think this happens all the time. Especially with Spring ball
We understand each other. It was a rhetorical question for buddy.

No it's not because they had 1 receiving TD and their best WR did squat.
J Travis had 19 completions for 265 yards and a TD.. He roasted and toasted our corners all over the field, don't matter if they gave up "only 1" tuddy, the continuous chunk yardage plays they gained on those passes set up Trey Bensons 16 carries for 80 yards and two tuddys....

If our Corners are even the slightest bit of D1 starting caliber we shut them the fck up... Instead you saw the results live, shoot you even posted the stats for us above lmao

The nightmare of the folding chair QB's like Tyler Van Dyke and soft push over O linemen are hopefully all over now but the shear lack of quality starters let alone depth is frightening in the Cornerback room, I hope I am wrong and they prove me wrong.

It appears to be a brutal cycle were stuck in (aka depth chart management) that Mario appears to be slowly pulling us out of.

J Travis had 19 completions for 265 yards and a TD.. He roasted and toasted our corners all over the field, don't matter if they gave up "only 1" tuddy, the continuous chunk yardage plays they gained on those passes set up Trey Bensons 16 carries for 80 yards and two tuddys....

If our Corners are even the slightest bit of D1 starting caliber we shut them the fck up... Instead you saw the results live, shoot you even posted the stats for us above lmao

The nightmare of the folding chair QB's like Tyler Van Dyke and soft push over O linemen are hopefully all over now but the shear lack of quality starters let alone depth is frightening in the Cornerback room, I hope I am wrong and they prove me wrong.

It appears to be a brutal cycle were stuck in (aka depth chart management) that Mario appears to be slowly pulling us out of.
I don't believe the stats are that great TBH compared to how they performed against others, but that's my opinion and I hope you are right on the QB and OL. To be honest based on this thread it may not seem like it but my favorite recruit this cycle is Pickett. I want elite CBs.

Advertisement
Yall are worried about the CB position, but I'm a **** defensive guy and I ain't even worried about that ****. Lol

Stop the run.
Don't turn the ball over on offense.
Out-score your opponents.
Football is generally that simple.

CB's don't win/lose games...especially not in college football. And if a CB is ever in the position to lose you a game, you probably did a lot of other **** wrong during the contest.

The biggest concern on defense is always the DL.
It's a lot easier to play defense when your opponent can't run the ball and they're always in long distance situations.
I think most of us are more worried about the depth rather than the talent. We're basically 1-2 injuries away from mario forcing to use walk-ons or other positions to slide over to db.

Crap - I just spoke to a good buddy of mine in the AD that was at practice today. TFWIW but apparently the staff is going to make Lou a captain for the UF game. Went on to say that his knowledge of the playbook is unmatched amongst his OL counterpart and the staff sees him as another coach out there, ability be damned.

He also told me that the Washington OG transfer really wanted to come but Mario couldn't promise him a starting job because he was torn about benching his nephew.

We seriously might be f*cked.
Where's the eyeroll emoji when you need it for a post like this?

University of Miami the only school where kids can’t develop and get better...if you ain’t him day one you are trash lol…

Lol I respect your resume and knowledge on here…but tf does this have to do with your statement?

Because u coached up a good defense(congrats) that means your philosophy is the end all be all? Lol naw
It has plenty to do with my statement that CB play does not lose/win you games in the grand scheme of things...and that you can have an outstanding overall defense without elite CB's. (cause I've done it)
High school level, college level...it's all relative IMO.

For the record, nobody's saying that CB talent doesn't matter.

But I have been to 4 clinics in the past 6 weeks, in multiple states, with coaches from every level speaking...
And you know how many guys spoke/gave clinics on CB play? One!

Every **** defensive clinic was about (1) stopping the run (2) stopping RPO's and (3) putting pressure on the QB.
So I'd say my philosophy is pretty much the consensus.

The game of football today is played INSIDE-OUT. Offenses are trying to work the middle of the field, especially short and intermediately via RPO's.
The hardest throws to complete (on every level of football) are outside the hashes, particularly outside verticals. (where the CB's are at)
Outside throws are ALREADY lower percentage, which means if you have a solid all-around defense and SERVICEABLE Corners, you will win most games.

Elite defenses are built INSIDE-OUT.
It starts at DT and works it's way out from there.

Even with subpar CB's...
Offenses cannot win whole football games by basing their entire game plan off of taking outside shots. You won't win football games like that.

Advertisement
University of Miami the only school where kids can’t develop and get better...if you ain’t him day one you are trash lol…

I don't think anyone's making that point. Of course Brown can develop. Memnon was focusing on technique. Based on his technique, he either wasn't be coached effectively or wasn't adjusting his game to the coaching he got. It's one or the other, and neither speaks highly of Addae.

I’ll be in the minority and continue to say our safety play is our biggest threat. Followed by DT. Safety is just too dynamic a position in modern defenses to have replacement or below level players.

It has plenty to do with my statement that CB play does not lose/win you games in the grand scheme of things...and that you can have an outstanding overall defense without elite CB's. (cause I've done it)

But I have been to 4 clinics in the past 6 weeks, in multiple states, with coaches from every level speaking...

Every **** defensive clinic was about (1) stopping the run (2) stopping RPO's and (3) putting pressure on the QB.

The game of football today is played INSIDE-OUT. Offenses are trying to work the middle of the field, especially short and intermediately via RPO's.
The hardest throws to complete (on every level of football) are outside the hashes, particularly outside verticals. (where the CB's are at)
Outside throws are ALREADY lower percentage, which means if you have a solid all-around defense and SERVICEABLE Corners, you will win most games.

Even with subpar CB's...
Offenses cannot win whole football games by basing their entire game plan off of taking outside shots. You won't win football games like that.

@Coach Macho nothing but respect. But two things can be true at the same time. Elite defenses start from the inside out (I remember Madden always emphasized that) AND CB play can win or lose games. We've all seen examples of the latter. If we're talking about where opposing teams can exploit our defense's weaknesses, CB is a sensical point of focus (along with DT and S in my opinion).

Advertisement
I’ll be in the minority and continue to say our safety play is our biggest threat. Followed by DT. Safety is just too dynamic a position in modern defenses to have replacement or below level players.

Coaches agreed with you and went out and got Powell and Riley at S and Cook and Clark at DT. Some CISers think they should have done better. I think you and I are in agreement they need to add at least 1 more at each position (S and DT) if they can find a legit difference maker.

Even with subpar CB's...

It's been this way for a while. You could have Sauce Gardner on both sides at CB and if you have trash DL play and can't get pressure/stop the run, it won't matter. Having an elite front 7 can mitigate weaknesses of an inconsistent/ bad secondary. The same cannot be said for an elite secondary and a bad front 7.

Having a shut down corner can take you from a great to an elite defense but you can absolutely still have a great defense with average DB play. I can't remember a time where I saw a great (or better) defense that had a weak front 7.

I am.

Because #1, he's supposed to be the next in line as a starter & #2 it's an example of the astounding teaching he received last year.

I could've posted an entire thread of Jaden Davis getting worked like a rented mule but that's pointless because he's not here anymore.

The point is, the CB group has to basically be rebuilt from the ground up.
Royal Rumble Wrestling GIF by WWE

@Memnon, would love to understand more of what Chevis is teaching at the 1:22 and 3:57mark of this video.

- In the first drill, he repeatedly says "kick, kick, kick." I'm assuming that he's drilling patient feet and executing the kick step/shuffle when the receiver declares an outside release?
- In the second drill with the bag behind the cb, it seems like their working on not giving ground at the snap, rather, they're moving laterally across the length of the bag before kick stepping.
- In the third drill, coach sets it up with, "you go counter now. Step, go counter. All your work needs to be in front of this bag." It's hard to tell from the angle if the cb is head up, inside, or outside leverage on the wr, but the point of the drill seems to be pointed towards not letting the wr win inside.
- at 3:57 it seems like theyre working against a two way release
- at 5:33, are they focusing on reading the near hip?

I don't recall a lot of this technique during games last year. I believe they played off coverage or bailed at the snap. Is this the ground-up teaching that you've referenced in other posts? I don't know much behind the philosophy of the kick step other than reading about it when the legion of boom was in its heyday

Advertisement
Back