Practice Time Question

g8rh8rMD

Not a Dr.
I was/am hoping that at some point Richt will move our practice times back to the afternoon. I may be wrong, but I think the morning practices is something that was instituted by Randy or Al, but I'm pretty sure we used to practice in the afternoons "back in the day". Morning practice times make some sense in the lightning alarm era when you don't have the benefit of an indoor facility to safely continue practice when a storm pops up and the alarm goes off, but I've always felt it's not ideal for peak performance.

I'm not saying it's a big deal, but I was wondering is my recollection correct, or have the Canes always practiced in the mornings? If not, who first started the morning practices, and are there academic scheduling issues with going back to afternoon practices, or is that something we might see once the IPF is available for use?

I was kind of hoping to see that with spring practices this year, since there's not a lot of threat of thunderstorms this time of year, but with the announcement of the spring schedule, that obviously didn't happen.

Advertisement
I think CMR said he was looking forward to see what practice would be like in the AM. But I think he mentioned he thought it was due to the heat. But the ipf will be in place right in the middle of rainy season so we won’t have to worry about a lot of missed practices and walk throughs in the rec center. Hopefully it wont rain this year on pro day.

Live 10 minutes from the U. It always seems to rain much more in afternoon here than in the mornings. Even with the new warehouse, pretty sure he still wants to practice outside as much as possible.

Live 10 minutes from the U. It always seems to rain much more in afternoon here than in the mornings. Even with the new warehouse, pretty sure he still wants to practice outside as much as possible.

Agree 100%. The more the team uses the IPF, the less of a home field advantage we will have. Should only be in there when absolutely needed.

Just look at what has happened to the Dolphins. Even when they were bad, they had great home records. Now they spend just about all practice time in the IPF and the home record hovers around 500.

Advertisement
I don't know how it was under Shannon but we practiced in the mornings under Golden. Richt asked the team when he arrived and the consensus was that most of the players preferred morning practice. It works well with getting lifts and meetings out of the way so then were done a bit before noon and players have the rest of the day for class and studying without having to come back and forth to the facility. Trust me, practice is still hot as **** at 11am.

I don't know how it was under Shannon but we practiced in the mornings under Golden. Richt asked the team when he arrived and the consensus was that most of the players preferred morning practice. It works well with getting lifts and meetings out of the way so then were done a bit before noon and players have the rest of the day for class and studying without having to come back and forth to the facility. Trust me, practice is still hot as **** at 11am.

Thanks Austin (@apfenny3) . My thought is more that you should practice when you play, not so much about being in the heat. If morning is what the players prefer though, that's good enough for me. I'm not a morning person, so it's just never made sense to me. But I also always thought that you should train your body to perform at the time of day when your competition will be.

The players do need to go to class, which is less of an issue with morning practices.

Advertisement
Thanks Austin (@apfenny3) . My thought is more that you should practice when you play, not so much about being in the heat. If morning is what the players prefer though, that's good enough for me. I'm not a morning person, so it's just never made sense to me. But I also always thought that you should train your body to perform at the time of day when your competition will be.
I agree with this and there are certainly studies that support your view. I don't like getting up in the mornings either, but I felt like I had more energy for those practices, vs in high school when we'd practice after you've been in class all day.

I was/am hoping that at some point Richt will move our practice times back to the afternoon. I may be wrong, but I think the morning practices is something that was instituted by Randy or Al, but I'm pretty sure we used to practice in the afternoons "back in the day". Morning practice times make some sense in the lightning alarm era when you don't have the benefit of an indoor facility to safely continue practice when a storm pops up and the alarm goes off, but I've always felt it's not ideal for peak performance.

I'm not saying it's a big deal, but I was wondering is my recollection correct, or have the Canes always practiced in the mornings? If not, who first started the morning practices, and are there academic scheduling issues with going back to afternoon practices, or is that something we might see once the IPF is available for use?

I was kind of hoping to see that with spring practices this year, since there's not a lot of threat of thunderstorms this time of year, but with the announcement of the spring schedule, that obviously didn't happen.
A questioned I ask on Shaq's Official Visiit.... I think it's more conducive...going to class early when your mind has just been refreshed...and MR said he favors practice in the afternoon but afternoon thunderstorms in South Florida can dictate practice... but once the IPF is operational I think he will change the schedule

A questioned I ask on Shaq's Official Visiit.... I think it's more conducive...going to class early when your mind has just been refreshed...and MR said he favors practice in the afternoon but afternoon thunderstorms in South Florida can dictate practice... but once the IPF is operational I think he will change the schedule
I agree with this and there are certainly studies that support your view. I don't like getting up in the mornings either, but I felt like I had more energy for those practices, vs in high school when we'd practice after you've been in class all day.
what time does practice normally start and finish currently?
if it ends at noon, thats kinda crazy how limited you are with your scheduling for classes. I had many classes where there was literally only one time available for it and it was at ******* 9 or 10am or something...though thats mainly dependent on what your major is i guess. cause the business school has a **** load of course times typically.

Advertisement
what time does practice normally start and finish currently?
if it ends at noon, thats kinda crazy how limited you are with your scheduling for classes. I had many classes where there was literally only one time available for it and it was at ******* 9 or 10am or something...though thats mainly dependent on what your major is i guess. cause the business school has a **** load of course times typically.
Its been a bit so I may be slightly off, but I think breakfast started at about 6am, maybe 630. Then guys would get taped and go through some treatment if they needed to get warmed up. Then depending on the day we'd have either just have Special teams meetings, then O/D, position, and scout team, then have practice start at about 915-1130/1145. Other days we'd start with a special teams meeting, then Offensive will lift while defense has meetings, then flip, but just have shorter meeting times. Some guys did leave practice early on certain days, but it was only just a few each year and the majority didn't have class conflicts.

Its been a bit so I may be slightly off, but I think breakfast started at about 6am, maybe 630. Then guys would get taped and go through some treatment if they needed to get warmed up. Then depending on the day we'd have either just have Special teams meetings, then O/D, position, and scout team, then have practice start at about 915-1130/1145. Other days we'd start with a special teams meeting, then Offensive will lift while defense has meetings, then flip, but just have shorter meeting times. Some guys did leave practice early on certain days, but it was only just a few each year and the majority didn't have class conflicts.
Thanks man.

Advertisement
we-talkin-bout-practice-o.gif

Ed Reed used to practice at the crack of dawn. Take that for what its worth.

Advertisement
Back