Practice stars versus game day stars...

fraggle

Senile Senior
Often I've seen where a reserve that screws up in practice only gets to play because the player in front of him gets hurt and the bad practice player shines in the bright lights. It is true in all sports not just football. A prime example is Warren Sapp...he hated practice and rarely visited the workout room...was no golden boy who came to the U as a TE but was a football player with natural instincts. Devin Hester had problems learning to be at any position except returner, the greatest ever. I'm sure others here can point out examples (especially like Tom Brady in college and at NE). How does a coach decide to play a reserve over a great in practice? How often do we see "his lights went out when the bright lines came on" or inversely needed the pressure of the bright lights showed us a football layer. Who is a reserve that can play better than the person he is second to????? Tough decision for any coach.

Advertisement
The "Alvin Harper" theory as I like to call it. (For those who dont know him he was apart of the 90s Cowboys dynasty teams and was Irvin's sidekick at WR) LOL. Jimmy Johnson famously said Harper was the worst practice player. Literally did nothing from Monday-Thursday and only played well on Fridays. But when game time came he showed up and showed up every time.

I am believer in this theory in certain circumstances. There are certain guys on this team that I dont care how great they are in practice, I dont want to see them anymore or I only want to see them in limited reps. (GHall, Ivey, and Harvey come to mind immediately)

Advertisement
Often I've seen where a reserve that screws up in practice only gets to play because the player in front of him gets hurt and the bad practice player shines in the bright lights. It is true in all sports not just football. A prime example is Warren Sapp...he hated practice and rarely visited the workout room...was no golden boy who came to the U as a TE but was a football player with natural instincts. Devin Hester had problems learning to be at any position except returner, the greatest ever. I'm sure others here can point out examples (especially like Tom Brady in college and at NE). How does a coach decide to play a reserve over a great in practice? How often do we see "his lights went out when the bright lines came on" or inversely needed the pressure of the bright lights showed us a football layer. Who is a reserve that can play better than the person he is second to????? Tough decision for any coach.
It does seem to be a problem at UM. That's where the greentree all-american comes from.

It is the million dollar question too, which is probably vastly different for every coaching staff. Coaches can only really go off what they see in practice. Whenever I was on my gradeschool teams, I played terrible during practice so I had to sit during games. Whenever I finally got in, I started balling out. I don't know what it is. This is almost the opposite because you have guys that practice good, but don't perform when the bullets start flying.

It's hard to say because we can only go by what we hear of practice or the 15 minute clips of their lackadaisical drills.

I think another issue is coaching up the younger guys (especially the more talented ones) The coaches issue is: will the young guys know the plays, do their assignments, play without the football, etc if they go in? Since there is uncertainty there, they go with their tried and true upperclassman who they feel they can trust. After watching all the media related to the CC state game, it's pretty evident that the staff knows the younger guys are ballers, but they still struggle 'trusting them' enough to get them snaps? So that is where this whole "Manny only plays upperclassman" thing comes from. I mean there are *some* positives we've seen like James Williams getting a lot of reps early and Brinson getting into the games a little (prior to CC state). But you've got guys like Wiggins who has just shown he cant catch during the game. You've got guys like Mallory who is a greentree all american, but suffers from not a baller syndrome during games. Can't block, and decides to not be able to catch either. It's ridiculous when you have that many other talented players on the roster. But it goes back to your point, how can you tell who is going to be good in the games? Personally, I believe you find the dogs and you play them. Stevenson and Restrepo are those guys. Troutman, Williams, C Smith appear to be those guys too. Trajan Bandy was that guy. Maybe we just don't recruit enough of them? idk.

I think if we dig deeper into the problem there needs to be more development when the guys first come into the program. I know there are some weird NCAA rules that limit the amount of practices, coaching interactions, number of scrimmages, etc, but I think we haven't figured out a way to 'get ahead' and operate in the grey maybe. Maybe this is due to it being too big of a risk for the university who always seems to be a target? I don't know. I know at Baga, they have 20,000 former NFL coach "analysts" who are able to skirt the system somehow and get information to the players. This is complete opinion, but this is where I think we struggle. We need to get the young guys learning the playbook and all that stuff on their own time. And maybe they ARE "doing that", but obviously there is some level of disconnect there.

Also obviously no, LT isn't going to start as a true freshman who missed spring camp in the 1st game of the season vs Bama. But you can also tell that the young and talented guys are the ones who should be playing more snaps. So why aren't they? For example we know that Cam is probably starting at RB because he blocks well, and you need that extra pass protection when your O line struggles as bad as ours does. I know that RB is one of the easier positions to play as a freshman, so really in this case, how hard is it to coach up the young guys to pick up blocks?

I don't really know what the point of this post is, just that yes, there is something there, and I think they all come back to the same root problem. Player development is of the same problem family.

tl;dr play the young, talented guys and let them learn on the fly/coach them on the fly, they will make mistakes, but they will also compete and give us a chance to win. Figure out how to coach up the young guys sooner so that they know how to do their "job" if/when they do see the field.

The solution is you've got to trust your eyes. Film don't lie. The mental toughness of a player may not show immediately on the field but you've got to pay attention to them. Likens mentioned that Wiggins and Pope needed to learn to put bad plays behind them so they don't snowball. Translation - not mentally tough. That translates on the field. Toughness is a skill and can be learned but its a pretty hard teach.

I am for Diaz and crew continuing to help Wiggins and Pope and Mallory get better. But their weaknesses hurt us. Receivers who can't catch, TE's that can't block. In these situation you've go to play the guys who can get the basics done. Even if they make mistakes you can't win without the basics.

not sure but the 2000-2002 teams (best ever) took care of those who did not practice....

not sure but the 2000-2002 teams (best ever) took care of those who did not practice....
I wish we could take care of porsters the same way , if so fraggle would’ve been missing years ago.

Advertisement
It's a lot easier to bridge the possible gap by making practice environments simulate game day. Even then, it's imperfect and some guys will just shine when processing requirements speed up, but countless people have mentioned how we're essentially guessing because our practices fail to provide good info.

Sapp wasn't a TE when he arrived. He played some TE in HS but was mostly a DL. Tom Brady played a bunch at Michigan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Brady#Statistics.

I understand what you are trying to get at but the three you point out flashed in practice. They just took it to a different level when the lights came on.
Brady played a bunch, but had to sit during games a lot due to Michigan boosters wanting to play Drew Henson.

Best players show up in games. If they dont, they should be replaced. Period.

Advertisement
Just read an article where Bradys Michigan coach said he really was the better qb but Henson started cause of his hype

How is this relevant after last week’s game? We got to see the goods during game time. That is the benefit of scheduling South Texas State University on our schedule. We should use those performances as our litmus test for who should play. Also having little patience for incompetence works well too. If the starter is dropping passes (Harley, Mallory) sub him with the backup and see if the results are different.

I always hated practice and went through the motions. I once got benched for a half for saying it out load in front of a coach. We used to line up and tell each other “make it look good” 😂😂

The short of it is this: football is fun but playing everyday is taxing. We hit everyday except the day before the games. Not like it is today where they don’t tackle at all until game day.

Advertisement
happened to be able to attend a handful of practices during the Sapp days.. Dude was having more fun than anyone out there.. well him and Rohan. I'll try loading a pretty cool photo i have from one of those days.

I saw it a time or two in football, someone ripped, has size, height but something didn't transfer to the field; We used that old adage: Looks like Tarzan; Plays like Jane.

They say the same thing about being in combat, you never really know how someone will respond until the buIlets start flying.

Years ago, I knew an old guy, Joe Joseph (may he RIP) who was in the 29th Infantry Division at Normandy. He told me his Sergeant had been around and said, "You'll now if you'll survive or not by your first five minutes in combat." This guy's first experience was getting lost and separated during his first night patrol. A German sniper just missed his head and hit a metal light post a few inches above his helmet. That he said, about made him deaf. Then a Tiger Tank started down the street - he said those tank treads rattling on the cobblestones, and them firing at random buildings because they knew a patrol was there, scared him to death. But he didn't go to pieces or do anything stupid survived the next 30 minutes and the rest of WWII. Another Vietnam vet talked about a gung-ho guy in his squad in training who said he couldn't wait to get over and start killing people, always talking tough. The very first firefight he dropped down and wouldn't fire his weapon.

When the Dolphins were brand new they selected a QB from Kentucky with the second pick, Rick Norton. The Dolphins then had lots of open practices and Rick was fantastic but in games....QB rating of 30 had 7 TD's and 30 ints. Needless to say he didn't last long.
I wish we could take care of porsters the same way , if so fraggle would’ve been missing years ago.
Be nice to know what problem you are having with my posts. I guess you are one of the many Manny haters and I would like to see him succeed and trying yet another coach after the failing string we've had makes zero sense. Would not mind your opinion if you explained, I do not insult anyone's opinion or denigrate anyone that posts here.

When the Dolphins were brand new they selected a QB from Kentucky with the second pick, Rick Norton. The Dolphins then had lots of open practices and Rick was fantastic but in games....QB rating of 30 had 7 TD's and 30 ints. Needless to say he didn't last long.

Be nice to know what problem you are having with my posts. I guess you are one of the many Manny haters and I would like to see him succeed and trying yet another coach after the failing string we've had makes zero sense. Would not mind your opinion if you explained, I do not insult anyone's opinion or denigrate anyone that posts here.
I love aliens , space ships and horrible posts . Im actually a fan of yours.

Advertisement
Back