Power Run Game

astabooty

Redshirt Freshman
Biggest hole we have offensively? We'd be such a more consistent and balanced team if we could run it when we want to. We saw this problem last year and it peaked its ugly head again last night. It's not very reassuring going into next week's game.

Advertisement
Sad but true. Liked what I saw from the Gus bus from a long term perspective but I dont think he does us much good this year. OT has to be the guy or were just not gonna have the guy. Can't be putting hits on Duke like that.

I'd like to see more of Edwards behind the starting OL.

Yes, even though it was against FAU he showed potential. Having a power runner doesn't really fix the problem with the O-Line though. The play calling is a problem too. On a down where you need 1 yard, why not just pound it straight ahead quickly instead of doing these plays that require time to setup? Our problem is a mix of play-calling and our O-Line potentially just not being that good at run blocking.

Advertisement
I support the premise of this thread 100%. The offense in general was very sloppy but a lot of that I can write off as first game jitters. This o-line, however, has no excuses. They are too big and too experienced to be anything less than dominant against an undersized FAU defense yet they got stuffed multiple times in key short yardage situations last night. I've said this in numerous threads but all roads lead back to Kehoe, IMO.

Maybe in some short yardage use somebody like Feliciano at FB and Haggens and Gus at HB?

That's missing the point. It all starts with the big uglies up front. If they don't do their job, anything in the backfield is just a bandaid.

Advertisement
Short yardage/goal line give me Clemens . . . nothing special size-wise, but like that he sticks it up in there north-south. Also need to see more of Gus, but jaw dropped watching him run behind 2nd/3rd team OL last night.

Yet, some on here blamed the woeful short yardage running on Fisch "not committing to the run," which was nonsense. The OL has got to step up.

Advertisement
Slow-developing rush plays on 3rd or 4th and short are really stupid. We did a lot of that last year too.

Advertisement
Slow-developing rush plays on 3rd or 4th and short are really stupid. We did a lot of that last year too.

Are 4th and goal and no fullback.

And there was a definitely a hole there. Gus has to lower his 6'2 frame and bulldzone LBs.

I had no problem with the power run game there other than no lead FB

Gus is a big dude, but he runs a little too upright for short yardage situations. He's tall and upright like Eric ****erson. On top of all that, I'm sure our #1 OL wasn't in at that point in the game.

That first fourth and short that got stuffed didn't look slow-developing. Looked like a dive, and someone got beat or they brought more.

Advertisement
Back