Post-Spring Practice Transfers?

btcane

Sophomore
Every year you could count on 3, 4 or 5 guys to transfer because they didn't see much opportunity to see the field here. This year, I don't think such is the case.
My only candidate this year is Gray Crow, but even that (which was once almost a given) seems uncertain with Williams injury.
Whadda ya think?

Advertisement
Hoilett and Hope wouldnt surprise me...not saying they should or anything but never hear a word on either

Looking at it from the other angle, I would expect 1-2 incoming transfers (waiver wire guys) before August.

yea crow is one play away from starting......

hard to tell at this juncture..I am not sure when scholly evaluations are up for the players..

Advertisement
Hopefully we get a Punter or Kicker through transfer other than that Gator dude. Our kicking needs some serious help now that O'Donnell is gone.

I think that's a definite possibility (no inside info or anything, just seems logical.)

How do we catch Florida St and Alabama in terms of talent if we don't manager our roster better. Kendall Thompson was on the roster for 5 years and never made an impact on the team. A player would have two years to show me something that I can put on the field in the future to remain on the roster.

How do we catch Florida St and Alabama in terms of talent if we don't manager our roster better. Kendall Thompson was on the roster for 5 years and never made an impact on the team. A player would have two years to show me something that I can put on the field in the future to remain on the roster.

there are more than than meets the eye when it comes to schollys....

Advertisement
BG I think it depends a lot on the existing depth at the position, who you've got coming in, and also the overall attitude of the player. Every team has those "cog" guys - great attitude, locker-room glue, might never see the field but you certainly don't want to run them off. (No idea if KT was that guy or not, but just saying...) So I think there are a lot of factors in play besides just saying "you're not a starter as a R-Soph - see ya!"

Ghost2, With our present roster management, we are going to need to hire the better high school coaches (hopefully former canes) in the S. Florida area to help in recruiting. we can get their top players for years to come. It's the only way we catch up in terms of talent.

I think you'll see the talent level increase - you're already seeing it at certain positions. I'd line up our secondary with F$U's any day and be pleased. Same with WR. The gap is narrowing, it's just not closed yet. I think we give the Noles a **** of a game this year (gave them a **** of a half last year, not that that's anything special, but it could've been a debacle...)

College football is cyclical like that - our time is coming.

Ghost2, With our present roster management, we are going to need to hire the better high school coaches (hopefully former canes) in the S. Florida area to help in recruiting. we can get their top players for years to come. It's the only way we catch up in terms of talent.

Seeing Solly in the "My Boy Blu" video makes we want to have him, in some capacity, on our staff. I think Paul Williams leaves onto bigger and brighter pastures in the NFL, we move Hurlie over to DB coach, and Solly takes back his rightful place as RB coach.

Hurlie is a helluva recruiter, but RB isn't his position.

Advertisement
I think AG can recruit - I really do. I think he's got a good sales plan and he sells it well, and I think it'll be even more fruitful going forward. I don't think he's as bad a gameday coach as Butch Davis, say, but not as good as Dennis Erickson, if we're sticking with Canes coaches. That said, I don't think anyone is on Butch's level as a talent-compiler, so it's a hard comparison to make.

I think Al can be successful here - if we're talking Saban-successful, I just don't have enough contextual info to go on yet. JMO.

Advertisement
BG I think it depends a lot on the existing depth at the position, who you've got coming in, and also the overall attitude of the player. Every team has those "cog" guys - great attitude, locker-room glue, might never see the field but you certainly don't want to run them off. (No idea if KT was that guy or not, but just saying...) So I think there are a lot of factors in play besides just saying "you're not a starter as a R-Soph - see ya!"

ghost2 is right. There are guys that may never play on offense or defense very much, but they make a huge difference in special teams. Thompkins was on the punt team and was a good gunner. If you have a player that is universally liked on a team, and is good enough to contribute to the team you don't get rid of them. Gray Crow is valuable to the team because he runs the scout team. He is more valuable now because he is the backup QB. Some guys just play late. Look at Jared Wheeler. He hardly played til last season and now very well could end up with a team.

Advertisement
Back