Post Practise Pressers

Advertisement
Young teams benefit from playing at home the most. Tough to start with two away games against P5 teams but this 5 game home stand is the next best thing. Crazy that it's the defense that needs the home stand 100x more than the offense though.

Agreed. The young secondary need AC5 to not get stupid penalties so he can help the team. I’m betting he’s in the area for 4th and 17 versus Knowles who flat lined the route. I think with some home cooking, hopefully some fans will show up to encourage the team because they really need it now more than ever. Getting W’s against BC and CMU should get their confidence up for the stronger teams coming in called VT and UVA.

W

which is why he should have never been given the job! But that what Miami does, hires novices on the cheap, prematurely extends them and then pays buyouts. How much money have we wasted on being cheap and paying buyouts? Smh we’ve spent far more money going then route versus just opening up the wallet and hiring a real coach and staff and for the love of god have some ******* oversight Blake!
Your Coach bias against Manny is showing.......seems like so many posters, did not like his choice from the git go, so now after 2 games you are pulling out the "wrong Coach hired, so pump up the blame game"...very transparent....

That’s where I’m at dude and we’re my fears truly lie. Yes one day maybe will catch lighting in a bottle for the third time and be back but I’m turning 40 next year and fear it won’t be in my lifetime. Like you I already know Diaz isn’t it after NC, losing that game the way he did was unforgivable. A sign of a good coach even in the beginning is a disciplined team that doesn’t commit dumb penalties and bust plays and this team has So much of those it’s coming out the ***.
Not trying to be a smart ***, but will try to give you a view of my perspective and reality.

I've been a Cane longer than you've been on the planet - since 1966 when I was 9 years old. I went through the late 60's and 70's when the University of Miami was an afterthought. Miami who? We had been mediocre at best for decades. ****, the admin even talked about 86ing the football program in the mid 70's. Long before the "U" became a national brand and long before the "U" invented swagger.

Then along comes a man by the name of Howard Schnellenberger who undeniably changed the fate of The Miami Hurricanes football program and one could argue, the landscape of college football in general.

We had a helluva run from our first National Championship in 1983 until the last one in 2001. There was JJ, and Erickson, and Butch, and even Clappy. No doubt it's been a tough period since 2003. One failed regime after another attempting to return the "U" to it's glory days.

Am I happy with 0-2? **** NO! Is Manny the man that can return us to prominence? My honest feeling is time will tell. I do believe that Manny loves the U and understands what it takes to win here. At this point after just 2 games, I'm willing to give Manny my support and I'm optimistic (which is saying something for me because I consider myself a realist) he can get the job done.

It won't happen overnight - or in 2 games.

Advertisement
Not trying to be a smart ***, but will try to give you a view of my perspective and reality.

I've been a Cane longer than you've been on the planet - since 1966 when I was 9 years old. I went through the late 60's and 70's when the University of Miami was an afterthought. Miami who? We had been mediocre at best for decades. ****, the admin even talked about 86ing the football program in the mid 70's. Long before the "U" became a national brand and long before the "U" invented swagger.

Then along comes a man by the name of Howard Schnellenberger who undeniably changed the fate of The Miami Hurricanes football program and one could argue, the landscape of college football in general.

We had a helluva run from our first National Championship in 1983 until the last one in 2001. There was JJ, and Erickson, and Butch, and even Clappy. No doubt it's been a tough period since 2003. One failed regime after another attempting to return the "U" to it's glory days.

Am I happy with 0-2? **** NO! Is Manny the man that can return us to prominence? My honest feeling is time will tell. I do believe that Manny loves the U and understands what it takes to win here. At this point after just 2 games, I'm willing to give Manny my support and I'm optimistic (which is saying something for me because I consider myself a realist) he can get the job done.

It won't happen overnight - or in 2 games.
Nice post sir. While I’m jaded and angry from the last 15 years, I’m doing my best to support Diaz but UNC really killed me man. Smh what will tell me he’s serious about turning this thing around is in the off-season. If ST struggles all year and patke isn’t fired for a real ST coach then Diaz is a corch. If the safeties and defense struggles all year and Banda and baker aren’t fired then Diaz is a corch. You want to win and be a successful HC then be a savage and hold your coaches accountable, don’t talk about being one because talk is cheap!

Last edited:
Nice post sir. While I’m jaded and angry from the last 15 years, I’m doing my best to support Diaz but UNC really killed me man. Smh what will tell me he’s serious about turning this thing around is in the off-season. If ST struggles all year and patke isn’t tired for a real ST coach then Diaz is a corch. If the safeties and defense struggles all year and the Banda and baker aren’t fired then Diaz is a corch. You want to win and be a successful HC then be a savage and hold your coaches accountable don’t talk about being one because talk is cheap!
I certainly understand your frustration. We all are frustrated. Have been for the last decade and a half. One of the points I was trying to make is that we can't really make a fair assessment of Manny after just 2 games. Not trying to make excuses, but the reality is we've got a new HC, new OC/QB coach, an entirely new O staff and system, and a new DC. We are also very young on both sides of the ball.

If changes are necessary, I feel confident Manny will make them.

I humbly suggest to let the season play out. Support our Canes with all that pent up energy and we'll see what it looks like after 12 games - hopefully 13 or 14.

Advertisement
That’s where I’m at dude and we’re my fears truly lie. Yes one day maybe will catch lighting in a bottle for the third time and be back but I’m turning 40 next year and fear it won’t be in my lifetime. Like you I already know Diaz isn’t it after NC, losing that game the way he did was unforgivable. A sign of a good coach even in the beginning is a disciplined team that doesn’t commit dumb penalties and bust plays and this team has So much of those it’s coming out the ***.
Remember that time Howard lost to FAMU? How about when JJ gave up 40+ IN A HALF to lose a game? Butch losing twice to ECU?

I just can't go too nuts over two hard fought games that we fell short in. We are showing some signs of life, and I think there is at least a chance we are better than 90% of us think. Yeah, I will bash coaches for decisions, but you won't hear me calling for heads unless there is a real implosion. 0-2 after two tough road games that we could have easily won is not time to give up.

If you think we'll ever be, year-in and year-out, a perennial playoff contender like Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, or a dynasty like we were in the past, then yes, you will be sorely disappointed. There is no longer a level playing field. There are fewer and fewer "hidden gems" that a small school like Miami can rely on like in the past, and we most certainly cannot, and are not allowed to, play the same recruiting games that some of the others do. After having followed this team and college football for 35+ years, and seen the changes, I have no delusions that we can relive the dynasty years.

Additionally, even if we were allowed, we don't have the booster network to do so to the extent others do. Even as far as "legal" things the boosters do, we can't compete. You have boosters footing most of the bill for Saban, who makes more than many NFL coaches....plus, as if he needed more, they paid off his mortgage a couple years ago to the tune of a few million dollars as a thank you for the work he'd done. We don't have that kind of booster network...we never will. We will always be searching for the up-and-coming coach.

Unless there are some major structural changes to how the NCAA operates, that's simply the reality we live in. Now we can still be the team that as you phrased it "catches lightning in a bottle" and compete for NCs here and there simply because of our location and brand. We absolutely need to do better than we have been doing in the past decade plus, not being a perennially ranked team is an issue and is not acceptable. But we aren't going to be an Alabama or Clemson.

Remember that time Howard lost to FAMU? How about when JJ gave up 40+ IN A HALF to lose a game? Butch losing twice to ECU?

I just can't go too nuts over two hard fought games that we fell short in. We are showing some signs of life, and I think there is at least a chance we are better than 90% of us think. Yeah, I will bash coaches for decisions, but you won't hear me calling for heads unless there is a real implosion. 0-2 after two tough road games that we could have easily won is not time to give up.
Idk maybe you’re right. I’m just angry and jaded from what this program has put us through the last 15 years. It’s hard to have hope when all we see is sloppy football and losses every year.

Idk maybe you’re right. I’m just angry and jaded from what this program has put us through the last 15 years. It’s hard to have hope when all we see is sloppy football and losses every year.
Agree, and it's easy to stick this year's results with previous years, but it may not be entirely fair. Yes, it's a pattern we've seen before. Yes, we're off to an underwhelming start. But it's not fair to assume that because past coaching staffs have followed this pattern, that Diaz will as well, because past coaching staffs of many schools over the decades have started poorly and then developed and turned the program into powerhouses. Many top coaches, even legendary coaches, have had rough starts. So Diaz deserves the chance to prove himself. There are notable differences between the team we saw the last two games, and our past year teams. Both games were very close, the kids never gave up or phoned it in like in the past. We are also very young, and we started with a new system against real opponents (no starting the season with glorified scrimmages like many do).

Will Diaz succeed? Maybe, maybe not. Is it fair to saddle Diaz with the sins and results of his predecessors? No.

Give him a chance.

Advertisement
220/221 whatever it takes
tenor-409.gif

You say sloppy, and I agree a bit, but we have seen far sloppier football than we have seen the first couple weeks. We have also seen positive signs. I believe both the O and D will improve as the season wears on. As should ST. Remember, we are still a young team. We are not the same trashy team we were last year when our QB couldn't complete ANY kind of pass consistently.

I'm just not at the point where I will give up on Diaz. I'll hold his feet to the fire, but I won't give up.

He will never be good as a defensive back but Knowles has done one thing right. He will be **** close to having a masters when his time is up.

Advertisement
Some well said comments here. More rational than just blurting out expletives and that the team sucks. If we are to have a successful team part of that is successful fans behind them. No one is happy about 0-2, **** I had us pegged for 2-0, but the reality of the situation is that we still have goals ahead for this team and we should support them. Am I happy with the coaching? Absolutely not. But the kids deserve our support as we attempt to turn around 15+ years of mediocrity. That doesn’t happen in an off-season nor through 2 games. It takes a full season and seeing results on the field for the kids to buy-in. I think they will, and after getting back to .500 it’s anyones ballgame. We can certainly win our remaining games...provided we see continual improvement. I saw some of that from Game 1 to last Saturday. If that keeps up, we will see a much stronger team in November than we have thus far to date.

Based on the first two games of the season I have lowered my expectations for this team. We haven't been dominant against what are likely fringe top 25 teams at years end. We can lose any ACC game on the sched if we don't take the next step forward in all phases over the next three weeks.

I do believe we are close to being a clear Corstal favorite if...

1. We improve our back end communication in the secondary and stop giving away chunk yardage plays at crucial points in the game.

2. Improve our RZ efficiency and passing explosiveness

3. eliminate the majority of mental mistakes on ST

Nobody in the coastal can beat us if we do those three things but, until we show that against VT, GT, and VA there's no reason to expect us to win out. We steam roll through those games and look crisp I'll start to believe we can make it to the ACCCG and possibly give Clemson a game.

Nobody's blowing up aussie guy yet, but we ain't got Feagles - so there's that.

Deejay is as personable as they come. Great representative for Us. His family should be proud. I really hope he goes far in life.

Aye, that lad has more personality than the law allows!

I don't have to hope he goes far in life - that young man is going to good at whatever he chooses.

It is inevitable DJ’s going to be balling Sundays, but what’s not to like about Knowles? Gotta love him for his green and orange blood. I wish him the best.

Advertisement
Back