Post Game Notes

kyle_schick

Redshirt Freshman
First of all, hats off to the defense. They played light out. Jaquan Johnson played great and had a great pick. Multiple passes batted down. Held FSU to 20 points. Its getting to be fun and exciting watching the defense again. I have no solid complaints against the defense. I thought Diaz was gonna be cute on the blitzes, but he toned it down and we contained FSU fairly well.

Second. Play calling. Richt did not call a good game. Bottom line. Too many run plays up the middle. With our O-line, it just doesn't work. The players did however drop too many passes. Way too many. Kaaya was on the money on every throw tonight. Anyone who blames Kaaya is wrong. On some of the RPO's, maybe he should've thrown it but it doesn't matter. Even after having a tooth knocked out, he was still deadly accurate. The receivers needed to step up and catch passes. This game has validated my concerns on the playbook. Everyone (including myself) figured Richt was calling simple games in order to unleash the playbook against FSU. Boy were we wrong. The first major indications were the first half of FAU, and then last week against GT. It would've been 21-21 if not for the defense's two scores.

Third. Adjustments. FSU continues to show their ability to adjust. We were wreaking havoc in their backfield the entire first half. Injured both their quarterbacks a little. In the second half, they posted their tightends, and Cook to pass protection and Francois was nearly untouched all second half, letting him throw accurately. Why couldn't Miami do this? FSU figured out what worked on the pass rush, and implemented it in the second half ruining many drives. Miami hardly threw deep against FSU's suspect defensive backs but when they did, Coley scored twice. Why not keep doing that if it worked?

Bottom Line:

We left the game in the hands of the officials. This goes back to Jimmy Johnson and Notre Dame. This should be Day-1 knowledge at Miami, but it still eludes our team. Jamal Carter knows better. It was a BS targeting call, but still you have to play smarter. Coley getting flagged twice. Day-1 mistakes. Block in the backs on special teams. Day-1 mistakes. You cant leave the game in the officials hands. Not at Miami.

Richts obsession with running to set up the pass has got to go. Until we get the offensive lineman to keep Kaaya on his feet, and to plow downfield, this concept will not work against teams in the ACC.

Miami has a good defense and its only going to get better with experience and maturity.

Advertisement
First of all, hats off to the defense. They played light out. Jaquan Johnson played great and had a great pick. Multiple passes batted down. Held FSU to 20 points. Its getting to be fun and exciting watching the defense again. I have no solid complaints against the defense. I thought Diaz was gonna be cute on the blitzes, but he toned it down and we contained FSU fairly well.

Second. Play calling. Richt did not call a good game. Bottom line. Too many run plays up the middle. With our O-line, it just doesn't work. The players did however drop too many passes. Way too many. Kaaya was on the money on every throw tonight. Anyone who blames Kaaya is wrong. On some of the RPO's, maybe he should've thrown it but it doesn't matter. Even after having a tooth knocked out, he was still deadly accurate. The receivers needed to step up and catch passes. This game has validated my concerns on the playbook. Everyone (including myself) figured Richt was calling simple games in order to unleash the playbook against FSU. Boy were we wrong. The first major indications were the first half of FAU, and then last week against GT. It would've been 21-21 if not for the defense's two scores.

Third. Adjustments. FSU continues to show their ability to adjust. We were wreaking havoc in their backfield the entire first half. Injured both their quarterbacks a little. In the second half, they posted their tightends, and Cook to pass protection and Francois was nearly untouched all second half, letting him throw accurately. Why couldn't Miami do this? FSU figured out what worked on the pass rush, and implemented it in the second half ruining many drives. Miami hardly threw deep against FSU's suspect defensive backs but when they did, Coley scored twice. Why not keep doing that if it worked?

Bottom Line:

We left the game in the hands of the officials. This goes back to Jimmy Johnson and Notre Dame. This should be Day-1 knowledge at Miami, but it still eludes our team. Jamal Carter knows better. It was a BS targeting call, but still you have to play smarter. Coley getting flagged twice. Day-1 mistakes. Block in the backs on special teams. Day-1 mistakes. You cant leave the game in the officials hands. Not at Miami.

Richts obsession with running to set up the pass has got to go. Until we get the offensive lineman to keep Kaaya on his feet, and to plow downfield, this concept will not work against teams in the ACC.

Miami has a good defense and its only going to get better with experience and maturity.

My buddy who is a coach of a very prestige HS program and not a UM fan called me and said "Does Kaaya have any one his team who can catch a pass?"
Personally, i dont think Richt trusts these kids enough to open his playbook. Does Berrios, Dobard, Lewis, etc see the field on his UGA or FSU offenses?
It's clear he LOVES Richards. There is a reason. He said in spring he doesnt see Miami speed. i think everyone is jumping gun on him. He needs playmakers.
FSU has them, we dont. It felt like Kaaya either got knocked on his butt or had someone drop a pass EVERY play.

I would agree. I think more passes to Herndon, and Njoku, and more screens to the running backs would've been very successfully. Even with our lack of trustworthy receivers, if Richt called more pass plays, we would have been more successful.

Advertisement
Back