Post-Game Awards- Virginia Tech

View as article

Cory Grimes

Freshman
Premium
Post-Game Awards

Canes are back in the win column, and I am back with the Post-Game Awards. CMR and the Hurricanes are finally off the schneid, and they did it in somewhat emphatic fashion with a big second half in Blacksburg. N’Kosi Perry seemed to have taken some steps in the right direction. Cam’ron Davis is reminding us that Zuu doesn’t produce anything but straight dogs. Jeff Thomas finally got some chances to do Jeff Thomas things. Defense got turnovers. The punt team flipped the field. Kicker made kicks. The Canes played complimentary football on Saturday. At 6-5, it’s safe to say that no one around the program is content with the way the season has gone. However, Saturday’s game in Blacksburg did give Canes faithful some reasons to cheer after a dreadful month of football. Welcome to the Post-Game Awards.

Best Overall Performance- N’Kosi Perry

21 of 34 171 yards and 2 TD’s against a horrendous Hokie defense isn’t going to blow anyone away on paper. What is encouraging about Kosi’s performance on Saturday is the growth. It’s not just the growth from when we first saw him suit up for UM, but also the growth within the Virginia Tech game from the first whistle to the last. He began to recognize some of the pressures that he didn’t early on in the game. He was throwing with anticipation. He stood tall in the pocket and took shoots but was still able to deliver on several occasions. He only had 16 yards on the ground, but he had a couple key runs including a TD run on a QB sneak. Sure there was some errant throws, but Perry just seems to be playing with more and more conviction every time he goes out there. If it wasn’t for a couple major drops, Perry might have just had some numbers that would have blown people away. At the end of the day, Perry doesn’t have to be Dan Marino for the Hurricanes to win football games. The Miami defense is truly top tier. He just has to have command of the offense and make the plays when they present themselves. It is a shame that he hasn’t got more time this season to continue that growth because I feel he could be much further along in the process if the QB situation didn’t turn out the way it did. Saturday at Virginia Tech was Perry’s best 4 quarter performance in my opinion. Let’s see if he can continue the upward trajectory.

Top Play- Jeff Thomas Takes Flight on Punt Return TD

Jeff Thomas looked like he hadn’t touched the football in a month when he grabbed a 3rd quarter punt. Truth is, he hardly has seen the football, so he knows he has to make the most out of every touch. He did that and then some on this punt return. I would like to say this was a great special teams play, but it was really just a great Jeff Thomas play because he didn’t need a single block to take it to the house. The ball bounced, and it originally seemed like JT was going to wave it off. When he decided to pick the ball up, the rest of the Hurricane punt team was just looking around. There were about 5 unblocked Hokie defenders around JT4. He made 2 quick cuts to put the defenders on skates and jetted toward the far sideline. As he’s out running the VT punt team, he runs out of real estate. So what does JT4 do? He jumps a casual 15 feet, stretches the ball out inside the pylon and scores 6 for the Hurricanes. Then he had another return later on that was almost as impressive. This guy is different. I’d pay money just to watch him return kicks. He does things other great athletes couldn’t imagine doing. JT4=must see TV.

Lay the Wood- Jaquan Johnson Blesses VT’s Peoples

I am not sure the religious background of Virginia Tech’s RB Steven Peoples, but I do know that he was baptized on Saturday by Reverend Jaquan Johnson. Peoples ran a wheel route down the sideline, and Willis hits him with a pass in stride. The only problem was Johnson had the play snuffed out. Jaquan teed off on Peoples, disconnected him from the football and sent him all the way to Charlottesville. In today’s football where defenders get penalized for having bad breath, it was refreshing to see a vicious yet clean hit happen with no yellow flags on the field. Jaquan Johnson is a joy to watch play the safety position. He’s tough, instinctive, a playmaker and when it comes time to light someone up, well just ask Steven Peoples about that. I am going to cherish these last two opportunities to watch Jaquan play in a Miami uniform.

Put Me in Coach- Cam Davis

Carol City may have lost on Friday ending their quest for a state title. However, the Zuu had reason to smile on Saturday when their son, Cam’ron Davis, got loose for a pair of TD’s. 7 carries for 77 yards 1 TD and a 16 yard TD catch for Davis on Saturday. He flashed his skills with a TD run against Georgia Tech, but Virginia Tech was Cam’s real coming out party. When Cam gets the ball, his original burst of speed jumps off the screen. He’s an extremely decisive runner who hits the hole in a hurry. He’s great at running that inside zone. He catches the ball naturally. He’s got a serious edge to him. It just looks like Davis is trying to prove something every time he sees the rock. The best part of the emergence of Cam Davis is how excited the rest of the team is to see him succeed. They **** near had a mosh pit around him after the first time he scored against Georgia Tech, and they did it again after he scored in Blacksburg. It’s clear he has the respect of his teammates. Deejay Dallas, who has struggled of late and had ceded much of his carries to Davis on Saturday, was one of the first guys to congratulate him. As a coach, those are the things you love to see. Cam Davis has added another option to an already formidable set of ball carriers. Davis will likely be more of a factor in these last 2 games, and certainly will be for years to come.

Advertisement
Cam Davis is going to be a good one. Honestly, I know the freshman may not quite be ready yet and that our record is no way indicative of the roster we have, but....these young kids are going to change this program when we get everything together. We Top 6, next year. Quote me...

kinda like giving a championship belt to someone for punching out a fat kid.

I hear you man. Keep in mind VT did get 4 or 5 defensive starters back in our game. They had been missing and attributed to the poor defensive performances VT had put up. They were not great, but as usual, played much better against Miami then they did against lesser opponents.

Post-Game Awards

Canes are back in the win column, and I am back with the Post-Game Awards. CMR and the Hurricanes are finally off the schneid, and they did it in somewhat emphatic fashion with a big second half in Blacksburg. N’Kosi Perry seemed to have taken some steps in the right direction. Cam’ron Davis is reminding us that Zuu doesn’t produce anything but straight dogs. Jeff Thomas finally got some chances to do Jeff Thomas things. Defense got turnovers. The punt team flipped the field. Kicker made kicks. The Canes played complimentary football on Saturday. At 6-5, it’s safe to say that no one around the program is content with the way the season has gone. However, Saturday’s game in Blacksburg did give Canes faithful some reasons to cheer after a dreadful month of football. Welcome to the Post-Game Awards.

Best Overall Performance- N’Kosi Perry

21 of 34 171 yards and 2 TD’s against a horrendous Hokie defense isn’t going to blow anyone away on paper. What is encouraging about Kosi’s performance on Saturday is the growth. It’s not just the growth from when we first saw him suit up for UM, but also the growth within the Virginia Tech game from the first whistle to the last. He began to recognize some of the pressures that he didn’t early on in the game. He was throwing with anticipation. He stood tall in the pocket and took shoots but was still able to deliver on several occasions. He only had 16 yards on the ground, but he had a couple key runs including a TD run on a QB sneak. Sure there was some errant throws, but Perry just seems to be playing with more and more conviction every time he goes out there. If it wasn’t for a couple major drops, Perry might have just had some numbers that would have blown people away. At the end of the day, Perry doesn’t have to be Dan Marino for the Hurricanes to win football games. The Miami defense is truly top tier. He just has to have command of the offense and make the plays when they present themselves. It is a shame that he hasn’t got more time this season to continue that growth because I feel he could be much further along in the process if the QB situation didn’t turn out the way it did. Saturday at Virginia Tech was Perry’s best 4 quarter performance in my opinion. Let’s see if he can continue the upward trajectory.

Top Play- Jeff Thomas Takes Flight on Punt Return TD

Jeff Thomas looked like he hadn’t touched the football in a month when he grabbed a 3rd quarter punt. Truth is, he hardly has seen the football, so he knows he has to make the most out of every touch. He did that and then some on this punt return. I would like to say this was a great special teams play, but it was really just a great Jeff Thomas play because he didn’t need a single block to take it to the house. The ball bounced, and it originally seemed like JT was going to wave it off. When he decided to pick the ball up, the rest of the Hurricane punt team was just looking around. There were about 5 unblocked Hokie defenders around JT4. He made 2 quick cuts to put the defenders on skates and jetted toward the far sideline. As he’s out running the VT punt team, he runs out of real estate. So what does JT4 do? He jumps a casual 15 feet, stretches the ball out inside the pylon and scores 6 for the Hurricanes. Then he had another return later on that was almost as impressive. This guy is different. I’d pay money just to watch him return kicks. He does things other great athletes couldn’t imagine doing. JT4=must see TV.

Lay the Wood- Jaquan Johnson Blesses VT’s Peoples

I am not sure the religious background of Virginia Tech’s RB Steven Peoples, but I do know that he was baptized on Saturday by Reverend Jaquan Johnson. Peoples ran a wheel route down the sideline, and Willis hits him with a pass in stride. The only problem was Johnson had the play snuffed out. Jaquan teed off on Peoples, disconnected him from the football and sent him all the way to Charlottesville. In today’s football where defenders get penalized for having bad breath, it was refreshing to see a vicious yet clean hit happen with no yellow flags on the field. Jaquan Johnson is a joy to watch play the safety position. He’s tough, instinctive, a playmaker and when it comes time to light someone up, well just ask Steven Peoples about that. I am going to cherish these last two opportunities to watch Jaquan play in a Miami uniform.

Put Me in Coach- Cam Davis

Carol City may have lost on Friday ending their quest for a state title. However, the Zuu had reason to smile on Saturday when their son, Cam’ron Davis, got loose for a pair of TD’s. 7 carries for 77 yards 1 TD and a 16 yard TD catch for Davis on Saturday. He flashed his skills with a TD run against Georgia Tech, but Virginia Tech was Cam’s real coming out party. When Cam gets the ball, his original burst of speed jumps off the screen. He’s an extremely decisive runner who hits the hole in a hurry. He’s great at running that inside zone. He catches the ball naturally. He’s got a serious edge to him. It just looks like Davis is trying to prove something every time he sees the rock. The best part of the emergence of Cam Davis is how excited the rest of the team is to see him succeed. They **** near had a mosh pit around him after the first time he scored against Georgia Tech, and they did it again after he scored in Blacksburg. It’s clear he has the respect of his teammates. Deejay Dallas, who has struggled of late and had ceded much of his carries to Davis on Saturday, was one of the first guys to congratulate him. As a coach, those are the things you love to see. Cam Davis has added another option to an already formidable set of ball carriers. Davis will likely be more of a factor in these last 2 games, and certainly will be for years to come.

Good write up.

The only thing I disagree on is, until we get a good line, we are going to need to see some Dan Marino type plays out of Perry to win against good opponents.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back