Post Game Awards: FSU

View as article

Cory Grimes

Freshman
Premium
Post-Game Awards: FSU

Best Overall Performance- 2nd Half Canes

Talk about a tale of two halves. It’s not possible really pinpoint the Canes’ pitfalls of the first 35 minutes of the game. Everyone was guilty. Special teams was dicey, especially the punt team. Quarterback missed throws. Receivers dropped balls. O-line had major lapses. Defense was mostly solid, as it has been the majority of the year, but they did let up a couple crucial 3rd downs, and they just didn’t seem to quite have the kind of juice that’s expected in a rivalry game against the Seminoles. There was certainly a couple questionable coaching decisions to top off the worst sequence of Hurricane football in 2018. Combine that with the best showing from Taggart’s bunch all year, and the Canes found themselves in a 20 point hole with about 20 minutes to play.

It’s almost like when the sun begins to set in Miami, the inner-savagery comes out of the Hurricanes. The moment Redwine narrowed in on Francois, was the moment things got funky at the Rock. The energy was injected into everyone on the Hurricane sideline. Manny Diaz came out of the locker room after halftime and officially had the clamps on anything Taggart and the Seminole offense tried to dial up. Francois was able to find some rhythm in the first half. Not so much the 2nd time out. The penetration from the Hurricane front became too much to handle. It seemed like a race, and Francois was the finishline. He finished the half at 6 of 16 with a total of 20 passing yards and 1 INT. FSU totaled 40 yards of offense after halftime. There’s dominant and then there’s what Manny Diaz’s defense did in the 2nd half.

The juice from the defense spewed over to the offense. N’kosi Perry and the Hurricane offense was able to capitalize on timely opportunities. Perry seemed to grow up before everyone’s eyes with 3 second half TD throws, including what turned out to be the game winning TD pass to Brevin Jordan. That play was directly after what I think is the best throw of Perry’s young career. The pass to Jeff Thomas on 3rd and long over a linebacker’s head before a safety was a special play in a special moment. Long story short, N’kosi let his nuts hang late in this football game. This could be a time that Perry looks back to as a coming of age moment in his career. I couldn’t give the Best Overall Performance to one guy this week. That comeback was fully involved by every aspect of Hurricane nation from the coaches to the fans. Florida State gave their best punch, and UM didn’t flinch. That performance in the 2nd half, led by the defense, was one for the ages.

Play of the Game- Michael Pinckney Picks off Francois’ Screen Pass

Pinckney has been known to be an instinctual player, and it can result in some of the most eye popping plays you’ll see. At the same time, his instincts have landed him in some bad spots from time to time. This play in the 3rd quarter against FSU was the former, and it showed just how smart of a football player Mr. Pinckney is. He recognized the screen play from the start. He noticed it so early that if he would have jumped the route right away, Francois may not have thrown it or just threw it in the dirt. Instead, Pinckney waited a beat to bait Francois, and as soon as 12 reared back to throw the tight end screen, Pinckney was already on a beeline to the football. He reeled it in for the 2nd turnover in 2 possessions, and Hard Rock was on tilt. Pinckney is a true leader on this team. Not only for his personality and energy that embody what it means to be Miami Hurricane, but also because he makes plays like this at times when the team needs it the most.

Lay the Wood- Sheldrick Redwine Tees off on Francois and Willis Recovers

This was in a toss-up with Pinckney’s pick for Play of the Game. This was the moment that the Canes finally got off the bus, and Hard Rock woke up. It was 27-7 with just under 7 minutes in the 3rd. It was 3rd and 6. It was an overload blitz on the left side with Finley coming off the edge and Redwine coming from his safety spot. Redwine did a great job of disguising the blitz till the last second, and he timed it up as good as it can be done. Redwine was in full sprint by the time he reached the line of scrimmage. The overload blitz left FSU’s Akers with 2 guys coming his way. Akers took out Finley, and Redwine had Francois dead to rights. Francois was looking to his left, and yet again, Francois didn’t feel the pressure coming his way. This is a situation a defender can only dream of. A football player could go his whole career without getting this kind of clean look to unload on a QB. And Redwine did just that. Unloaded. He teed off on Francois like he was unloading every bit of anger he ever felt in his life. The ball came out, and none other than Gerald Willis recovered the ball and sported the Turnover Chain surprisingly for the first time all year. Redwine laid the wood on Francois and changed the course of this football game.

Trench Bully- Trench Trio (Willis, Garvin, Jackson)

The debates over. There’s not a better Trench Trio in the nation. 14 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 4 sacks, and 1 fumble recovery from this trio on Saturday. My Matchup of the Week was Francois vs. Miami’s pass rush. Ask Deondre Francois how that went. There’s 5 guys in the nation with 11 TFL and 2 of them are Garvin and Willis. Jackson seems to have fully hit his stride and looked unlockable on Saturday. I may have to retire this award because these guys don’t have any signs of slowing down, and it may get redundant to keep talking about these guys over and over again.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Thanks for this. Don’t retire the trench bully though. If you get redundant on that one i think it’s a positive.

Here is what I think. I agree on the fact that these players made the plays that turned the game in our favor - no doubt. But, and I think this is crucial as someone who attended and watched games in the OB for years, it absolutely lit up the crowd. Most teams can play against another team and survive. But when you get a real home field advantage and the crowd is going nuts on every snap, it is just different to try to run your normal offense. Once the turnovers happened, the crowd got into it, and FSU had no answer for that intensity. Crowd noise is everything in big games. I was a part of it for many years. Whether it was the Dolphins or the Canes, what made the OB special was not the structure but the intensity of the people in the stands. The structure helped reverberate the noise but the people were the noise and it **** well matters. I remember a good friend who said during every minute of a game that Mike Singletary sucks throughout a game. His proudest moment was when Singletary looked at him and got seriously ****ed during the game. He personally took ownership of having created that look. Like it was his duty as a Dolphin fan to do that. Watching video from Saturday, I saw that in our fans. They CARE that they have a part in us winning and losing and it was something that has been absent from the program for too many years. There is no home field advantage without butts in the stands and those fans being loud. So I applaud you fans for doing your part in helping the players be as successful as they can be by being rowdy, loud and supporting your Canes the way you did. God Bless each and every one of you who showed up and supported the team the way you did.

Thank God for the targeting call and everything that happened that gave us the third and six over again to allow Pinckney to pick it off

Advertisement
My play of the game would be the Redwine FF.
My "Lay the wood" award would easily be Travis Homer trucking 2 FSwho's

Here is what I think. I agree on the fact that these players made the plays that turned the game in our favor - no doubt. But, and I think this is crucial as someone who attended and watched games in the OB for years, it absolutely lit up the crowd. Most teams can play against another team and survive. But when you get a real home field advantage and the crowd is going nuts on every snap, it is just different to try to run your normal offense. Once the turnovers happened, the crowd got into it, and FSU had no answer for that intensity. Crowd noise is everything in big games. I was a part of it for many years. Whether it was the Dolphins or the Canes, what made the OB special was not the structure but the intensity of the people in the stands. The structure helped reverberate the noise but the people were the noise and it **** well matters. I remember a good friend who said during every minute of a game that Mike Singletary sucks throughout a game. His proudest moment was when Singletary looked at him and got seriously ****ed during the game. He personally took ownership of having created that look. Like it was his duty as a Dolphin fan to do that. Watching video from Saturday, I saw that in our fans. They CARE that they have a part in us winning and losing and it was something that has been absent from the program for too many years. There is no home field advantage without butts in the stands and those fans being loud. So I applaud you fans for doing your part in helping the players be as successful as they can be by being rowdy, loud and supporting your Canes the way you did. God Bless each and every one of you who showed up and supported the team the way you did.

Tear to my eye.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back