Post Clemson Perspective

Cane4life18

Senior
Losing sucks. Losing 42 - 17 to Clemson on primetime sucks even more. I get it, I see a lot of you guys venting and posting your frustrations about the program. Good, we all love this program and want to see it achieve greatness as we know it can but these are the growing pains that we're going through. Let's hope this team matures because of it. Lets keep things in perspective, Trevor Lawrence's only loss as a starter is last year's National championship game against LSU. Think about that for a second. That 2 year record includes games against great Notre Dame, Alabama, and Ohio State teams. This was our litmus test, and we found out we still have a ways to go before reaching that level. A few takeaways from my view of things about last night:

Offense
• The Oline is still a work in progress. Last year the offensive line gave 10 sacks to an above average UF Dline. Last night we gave 6 to a really good Clemson Dline. Garin Justice needs to do a better job of preparing our lineman on knowing their assignment, especially when a blitz is sent. Too many leaks in our wall, that starts with coaching. I would've like to see Miami shortened their splits to aide the Oline. We struggled to pass block last night but our run blocking was non-existent all night.

• Offensive creativity was lacking on our end and that falls on Lashlee. Watching Clemson's first 2 drives made me envious. Clemson knew how to attack our aggressive style. Quick passes to Rogers to widen our defense and stress the edges of our defense. Outside zone to the smaller end Roche. Clemson constantly had pre-snap motion to create conflict among our hyper aggressive defenders. We see our Oline struggling, where is the rollouts or read option to slow Clemson's defense? Where was the screen pass to catch Clemson off guard? Where is the 5 wide sets to create distance with Clemson blitzers?

• I'm not as down on our receivers as everybody else seems to be. Our receivers definitely need to play better but there is blame to go around. King underthrew multiple deep balls. Lashee's play calling left much to be desired. The underutilization of Will Mallory and Brevin Jordan last night baffled me. Of all of the receivers last night, Wiggins was the biggest disappointment.

• I don't have much to say on our RB's. They were dealt a bad hand last night with the way the Oline played. One thing I can criticize is pass blocking/blitz pick up.

Defense
Our defense played hard and played with heart last night. They kept us in the game. They roughed up Trevor Lawrence in ways I haven't seen Alabama, Ohio State, or LSU do. For the score to be 21 - 10 at the half when the game felt like it should've been 35 - 3 was a testament to our defense.

• Blake Baker deserves praise and blame. Blame for the first 2 drives resulting in TD's and setting the tempo for Clemson on the night. Praise for adjusting thereafter. Players were in position to make plays but just didn't. At one point in the 2nd quarter Travis Etienne had 10 rushes for only 30 yards and Lawrence was feeling pressure and had gotten hit a few times already.

• Dline played a respectable game. 10 Qb pressures on Lawrence isn't bad. Lawrence's jersey was dirty after the game and he may have played through a minor concussion. I would've liked to see us get home more though, 1 sack isn't enough against Clemson. Our ends have to do better with setting the edge. We've been killed repeatedly on outside runs and inside runs that bounce outside. Roche had a good night rushing the passer, he frustrated Clemson's best Olinemen. Jalen Philips got his first sack but I was expecting more out of him. I would love to see our DT get more of a push to collapse the pocket on passing downs. Ford is boulder on run plays but he doesn't make plays which is a consistent thing with him. Nesta's effort will always be appreciated. JHH needs to develop his hand usage, if he doesn't win with his quickness he stops playing.

• Our LB play has been subpar. I haven't been impressed by anybody. Jennings didn't have any glaring misses but also didn't make any plays that popped off the screen. Brooks made a few nice plays last night with the hit on Etienne and the pass deflection. I see a lot of people calling for Brooks but he gets swallowed up too easy in the run game for him to be steady player at LB right now. McCloud is too inconsistent. He'll make a play that you expect a 5th year senior to make but then have a lapse in judgement that just baffles you. I'm not sure why Flagg got so much PT yesterday but I'll say this, he was always around the ball and seemed like he knew what he was doing. One real criticism of Flagg is his lack of speed. Watching him chase down Etienne was depressing, knowing he wouldn't get home.

• Gil and Keontra played fast and physical. If I'm coach Diaz, I tell Keontra good hit on Lawrence. Refs were on some BS last night. Lawrence got golden boy treatment last night.

• CB play was below average last night. I get that as a corner you'll have some losses no matter how good you are but I don't see enough wins from our corners to offset the losses. Blades got beat on a 9 route by Ladson. Ladson should've had another one on Ivey too but I'm not sure if I can truly blame Ivey on that one seeing how Ladson was all by himself, I think the play was cover 2 shell defense and Ivey was expecting Balom to cover over the top. Tackling and getting off blocks was a problem last night. Need better from this unit.

• Safety play was okay considering the cards they were dealt. Bolden played with heart last night. Seeing that blood flow from his nose reminded me of an old school Cane. Bolden made plays on special teams as well. Carter made a bone headed play but he hit the right person in doing it. Lawrence felt us last night which was important. One aspect that is missing from our safety play with Bolden, Carter, and Hall is range. I want to see our safeties have more of an impact in the passing game. Balom is a true freshmen who was put in a bad spot. He isn't ready yet and needs more time to cook.

Special Teams
• I hope the people who were begging for Restrepo to be on punt return hasn't come out of hiding yet, stay in those caves. Boy played terrible. Made bad decision after bad decision.

Get back on track against Pitt next week Canes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agree on all with 2 comments:
Blame for the first 2 drives resulting TD's and setting the tempo for Clemson on the night.
We had a stop on downs on the first and we would have had them in a 3rd and 20 on the 2nd drive if AC didn't do AC
I hope the people who were begging for Restrepo to be on punt return hasn't come out of hiding yet.
One bad play by Restrepo. Once they kicked the ball it was dead. Some one correct me if this wasn't a "free play".
That being said, even the one bad play was one too many. We almost gave them a TD.

Blame for the first 2 drives resulting TD's and setting the tempo for Clemson on the night.
We had a stop on downs on the first and we would have had them in a 3rd and 20 on the 2nd drive if AC didn't do AC
I hope the people who were begging for Restrepo to be on punt return hasn't come out of hiding yet.
One bad play by Restrepo. Once they kicked the ball it was dead. Some one correct me if this wasn't a "free play".
That being said, even the one bad play was one too many. We almost gave them a TD.
Correct, Clemson had first touching on the first one, BJ threw his bean bag to mark the spot. It was a good play. the second one was very stupid

AC was pushed in the back by #17 of Clemson that then caused the "late hit" targeting bs - the refs did not lose the game but sure did give Clemson two huge calls on their first two drives that changed the flow of the game early on.

True on the first point. Prior to both flags the defense had set up for stops but each drive still resulted in TDs.

Restrepo got lucky by accidentally kicking the ball out of bounds. He tried to pick up the ball in the end zone on the first attempt which would've resulted in a safety. Poor decision making.

Advertisement
AC was pushed in the back by #17 of Clemson that then caused the "late hit" targeting bs - the refs did not lose the game but sure did give Clemson two huge calls on their first two drives that changed the flow of the game early on.
Man, the refs were terrible last night.

My perspective is the team has to play more big time games and learn how to prepare. The default for a novice fighter who only thinks he has a puncher's chance is to start throwing haymakers as soon as the bell rings. He is basically praying for an early knockout and hasn't given any thought about trying to last until the later rounds. A more experienced fighter is going to fight smart and look for opportunities. Maybe he is outclassed and never gets an opening, but he isn't going to make it incredibly easy for his opponent by throwing wildly.

My perspective is the team has to play more big time games and learn how to prepare. The default for a novice fighter who only thinks he has a puncher's chance is to start throwing haymakers as soon as the bell rings. He is basically praying for an early knockout and hasn't given any thought about trying to last until the later rounds. A more experienced fighter is going to fight smart and look for opportunities. Maybe he is outclassed and never gets an opening, but he isn't going to make it incredibly easy for his opponent by throwing wildly.
I don't agree. I think this has more to do with opponent than situation. Miami has played in 2 primetime games prior to playing Clemson. Miami had been in a shootout with Louisville, so Miami isn't a stranger to a slugfest. Again, it has more to do with being outclassed, being underprepared, and being put in poor positions by coaching. I like your boxing analogy.

It was a "free" play so not sure what OP was referring to

Advertisement
True on the first point. Prior to both flags the defense had set up for stops but each drive still resulted in TDs.

Restrepo got lucky by accidentally kicking the ball out of bounds. He tried to pick up the ball in the end zone on the first attempt which would've resulted in a safety. Poor decision making.
@matty1

Losing sucks. Losing 42 - 17 to Clemson on primetime sucks even more. I get it, I see a lot of you guys venting and posting your frustrations about the program. Good, we all love this program and want to see it achieve greatness as we know it can but these are the growing pains that we're going through. Let's hope this team matures because of it. Lets keep things in perspective, Trevor Lawrence's only loss as a starter is last year's National championship game against LSU. Think about that for a second. That 2 year record includes games against great Notre Dame, Alabama, and Ohio State teams. This was our litmus test, and we found out we still have a ways to go before reaching that level. A few takeaways from my view of things about last night:

Offense
• The Oline is still a work in progress. Last year the offensive line gave 10 sacks to an above average UF Dline. Last night we gave 6 to a really good Clemson Dline. Garin Justice needs to do a better job of preparing our lineman on knowing their assignment, especially when a blitz is sent. Too many leaks in our wall, that starts with coaching. I would've like to see Miami shortened their splits to aide the Oline. We struggled to pass block last night but our run blocking was non-existent all night.

• Offensive creativity was lacking on our end and that falls on Lashlee. Watching Clemson's first 2 drives made me envious. Clemson knew how to attack our aggressive style. Quick passes to Rogers to widen our defense and stress the edges of our defense. Outside zone to the smaller end Roche. Clemson constantly had pre-snap motion to create conflict among our hyper aggressive defenders. We see our Oline struggling, where is the rollouts or read option to slow Clemson's defense? Where was the screen pass to catch Clemson off guard? Where is the 5 wide sets to create distance with Clemson blitzers?

• I'm not as down on our receivers as everybody else seems to be. Our receivers definitely need to play better but there is blame to go around. King underthrew multiple deep balls. Lashee's play calling left much to be desired. The underutilization of Will Mallory and Brevin Jordan last night baffled me. Of all of the receivers last night, Wiggins was the biggest disappointment.

• I don't have much to say on our RB's. They were dealt a bad hand last night with the way the Oline played. One thing I can criticize is pass blocking/blitz pick up.

Defense
Our defense played hard and played with heart last night. They kept us in the game. They roughed up Trevor Lawrence in ways I haven't seen Alabama, Ohio State, or LSU do. For the score to be 21 - 10 at the half when the game felt like it should've been 35 - 3 was a testament to our defense.

• Blake Baker deserves praise and blame. Blame for the first 2 drives resulting in TD's and setting the tempo for Clemson on the night. Praise for adjusting thereafter. Players were in position to make plays but just didn't. At one point in the 2nd quarter Travis Etienne had 10 rushes for only 30 yards and Lawrence was feeling pressure and had gotten hit a few times already.

• Dline played a respectable game. 10 Qb pressures on Lawrence isn't bad. Lawrence's jersey was dirty after the game and he may have played through a minor concussion. I would've liked to see us get home more though, 1 sack isn't enough against Clemson. Our ends have to do better with setting the edge. We've been killed repeatedly on outside runs and inside runs that bounce outside. Roche had a good night rushing the passer, he frustrated Clemson's best Olinemen. Jalen Philips got his first sack but I was expecting more out of him. I would love to see our DT get more of a push to collapse the pocket on passing downs. Ford is boulder on run plays but he doesn't make plays which is a consistent thing with him. Nesta's effort will always be appreciated. JHH needs to develop his hand usage, if he doesn't win with his quickness he stops playing.

• Our LB play has been subpar. I haven't been impressed by anybody. Jennings didn't have any glaring misses but also didn't make any plays that popped off the screen. Brooks made a few nice plays last night with the hit on Etienne and the pass deflection. I see a lot of people calling for Brooks but he gets swallowed up too easy in the run game for him to be steady player at LB right now. McCloud is too inconsistent. He'll make a play that you expect a 5th year senior to make but then have a lapse in judgement that just baffles you. I'm not sure why Flagg got so much PT yesterday but I'll say this, he was always around the ball and seemed like he knew what he was doing. One real criticism of Flagg is his lack of speed. Watching him chase down Etienne was depressing, knowing he wouldn't get home.

• Gil and Keontra played fast and physical. If I'm coach Diaz, I tell Keontra good hit on Lawrence. Refs were on some BS last night. Lawrence got golden boy treatment last night.

• CB play was below average last night. I get that as a corner you'll have some losses no matter how good you are but I don't see enough wins from our corners to offset the losses. Blades got beat on a 9 route by Ladson. Ladson should've had another one on Ivey too but I'm not sure if I can truly blame Ivey on that one seeing how Ladson was all by himself, I think the play was cover 2 shell defense and Ivey was expecting Balom to cover over the top. Tackling and getting off blocks was a problem last night. Need better from this unit.

• Safety play was okay considering the cards they were dealt. Bolden played with heart last night. Seeing that blood flow from his nose reminded me of an old school Cane. Bolden made plays on special teams as well. Carter made a bone headed play but he hit the right person in doing it. Lawrence felt us last night which was important. One aspect that is missing from our safety play with Bolden, Carter, and Hall is range. I want to see our safeties have more of an impact in the passing game. Balom is a true freshmen who was put in a bad spot. He isn't ready yet and needs more time to cook.

Special Teams
• I hope the people who were begging for Restrepo to be on punt return hasn't come out of hiding yet, stay in those caves. Boy played terrible. Made bad decision after bad decision.

Get back on track against Pitt next week Canes.
This is a great post!!!

Special Teams
actually the first return was a very heads up play. When the kicking team touches the ball the returning Team can have it at the spot of first touching or the result of the play when picked up. Even if Restrepo fumbles the ball Miami would get the ball at first touching. It is a win win and I never understand why more returns do not at least try and advance a ball after it has been touched.

the second play is obviously a poor decision. That is going to happen with Freshman that do not get to play and are going to try too hard to make one when given the chance. But he is learning and we have 3-1/2 more seasons to watch him.

actually the first return was a very heads up play. When the kicking team touches the ball the returning Team can have it at the spot of first touching or the result of the play when picked up. Even if Restrepo fumbles the ball Miami would get the ball at first touching. It is a win win and I never understand why more returns do not at least try and advance a ball after it has been touched.

the second play is obviously a poor decision. That is going to happen with Freshman that do not get to play and are going to try too hard to make one when given the chance. But he is learning and we have 3-1/2 more seasons to watch him.
Agreed, he's a freshman and will make mistakes. I just don't want him on punt return anymore because a mistake made on special teams will more times than not lead to a turnover. I wouldn't mind seeing him get reps at slot receiver though.

Advertisement
I'm in here to defend my boy X.

That is what happens when you have a fvckin corching staph who stick with the upperclassmen ...

He should have been back there from day one Vs UAB. Pope was soft back there X just wanted to make a play, big difference.

No question he needs to be smarter and that will come with experience. Also showed great awareness on that one that flicked a Clemson player. He knew what he was doing there and I liked the intent!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back