Possibly OT rumor: Mark Richt to retire at season's end.

Shinyheadman

Sophomore
Brent Musburger: 'Don't be surprised if Mark Richt retires'

Musberger probably isn't speculating. Musberger has no connection to UGA, so for him to just come out and randomly say this possibly indicates that he somehow got his hands on a tip. Also keep in mind that Richt retiring never seemed like an option; the narrative has been that he'd either be fired or would "step down".
When I first read the rumor on our fan site, I called a few people who have been involved in the booster side of the conversation regarding Richt.
While no one gave specifics as to if it's happening on Sunday and if we have a replacement lined up (although, apparently, we have been quietly looking for a month), one answer stood out.
"Why do you think he (Richt) has been making surprise in-home visits to our top recruits...?"
Like I said, Musberger probably isn't speculating. He probably knows what's about to happen and I've been getting the "I can give you every answer that points to 'yes' without actually saying yes" spiel from someone who has been involved behind the scenes since the FU debacle in Jacksonville.
I'm still taking everything with a grain of salt, but I think this a "where there's smoke, there's fire" situation given the rumors that were swirling and the source I was able to tap for some insider information.
If all is true, Richt will make his retirement announcement on either Sunday or Monday at a press conference.
Please keep in mind that this is all still a rumor, but the information flying around today has been consistent and I waited to say anything until an actual source with knowledge of the situation could offer some backbone to forum rumors.
This is apparently Richt's choice. His wife is in nursing school in Athens and has on year left until she graduates. It has long been rumored within certain circles that he'd retire once she finishes her degree. Apparently, that timeline has changed. If this happens, Richt and UGA are parting ways on amicable terms and it's probably the best way anyone could ask for this to happen.

All of this was copied from reddit.

Advertisement
I am going to the UGA/Tech game and will ask Mark about this today. I happen to have sauces who have sauces who know this guy that can get a message to Mark.

Advertisement
If and or when he leaves UGA he likely will retire. It's no secret here in the state that he plans to do more missionary work and go on mission trips once his time is up. He and his wife want to retire in Athens.

Advertisement
Musberger...The guy just bleeds for any team playing the "U" especially Notre Dame...Taking that rumor with a grain of CBS bs..

Advertisement
Back