Possible Transfer Portal rule change

Banned
Banned
Im pretty close with the Compliance Director at a G5 school and we talked about the transfer portal and he mentioned a possible rule change to the counters in regards to transfers. He said there is 3 possibilites going around

1. Schools will be able to add transfers to the roster AFTER the school has already filled their initial 25 counters. Meaning Transfers and signees still count towards the 25 that is signed in February. If after the 25 is signed and the overall is still short of the 85 after spring ball, the school will be allowed to backload with Transfers Only. Late Qualifying HS or JUCO recruits will not qualify for this exception and will still count towards the initial count.

2. Only Grad Transfers will not count towards the Initial counters only the overall 85 count.

3. All transfers will not count towards the Initial 25 and only count towards the Overall 85 Count.

Using Miami as an example, Right now we are at 74 total scholarship players on the Roster or 11 short of the Total 85 count

What is yall thoughts?

Advertisement
Im pretty close with the Compliance Director at a G5 school and we talked about the transfer portal and he mentioned a possible rule change to the counters in regards to transfers. He said there is 3 possibilites going around

1. Schools will be able to add transfers to the roster AFTER the school has already filled their initial 25 counters. Meaning Transfers and signees still count towards the 25 that is signed in February. If after the 25 is signed and the overall is still short of the 85 after spring ball, the school will be allowed to backload with Transfers Only. Late Qualifying HS or JUCO recruits will not qualify for this exception and will still count towards the initial count.

2. Only Grad Transfers will not count towards the Initial counters only the overall 85 count.

3. All transfers will not count towards the Initial 25 and only count towards the Overall 85 Count.

Using Miami as an example, Right now we are at 74 total scholarship players on the Roster or 11 short of the Total 85 count

What is yall thoughts?
I like it I dont think their should be scholarship per year limit just you can't go past the 85 scholarship roster

I like it I dont think their should be scholarship per year limit just you can't go past the 85 scholarship roster

I dont agree because it would hurt recruiting for G5 programs. P5 schools would then load up on HS recruits and leave the transfers for the G5 schools. And its hard to build your program on transfers only

Advertisement

Isnt that how it used to be, but then the Alabamas of the world would take 35 kids every year and force out half the kids to take new shinier kids and stay at/under 85?

I have a simplified rule.

If you have a kid transfer out, you get one additional IC for an incoming transfer.

Problem solved.

What about kids that leave for the draft, dismissed, or medically retire?

The new rules would pretty much guarantee all schools are able to use all 85 scholarships

Advertisement
What about kids that leave for the draft, dismissed, or medically retire?

The new rules would pretty much guarantee all schools are able to use all 85 scholarships

Are you still trolling us? Who gives a ****e about "draft, dismissed, or medically retire", those have always been issues in the past. Nothing has changed. You can still take 25 guys per year for 5 years, which is 125 ICs to fill 85 spots.

Nothing has changed except the transfer portal. Thus, my suggested rule THAT APPLIES TO REFILLING SPOTS OF GUYS THAT TRANSFER.

The world keeps spinning.

I dont agree because it would hurt recruiting for G5 programs. P5 schools would then load up on HS recruits and leave the transfers for the G5 schools. And its hard to build your program on transfers only
Who gives a fu<k about G5 schools? Are you a canes fan or some G5 school fan. On this blog it’s all P5 Canes, G5 schools can take a long walk off a short pier for all I give a ****. And I say that as G5 school alum.

Advertisement
This would be a massive win for Miami and any school that can’t pay kids to stay for a 4th/5th year. This would allow Miami to sign 25 kids in the class then more transfers IF they are under 85. Currently, we are at 74 with transfers and a “full class.” In short, this is needed in a bad way but this does create more of a free agency market.

What is yall thoughts?

I think we are at 77 for the record...

Advertisement
I have mixed feelings....should a school be rewarded for lying/mistreating a recruit? Think Chris Steele.

Also, if a school knows they get another scholie for a transfer and not one for a dismissal, they will be incented to keep bad apples secret and just allow them to transfer. Think about the UF QB, who was a known thug even before he got to school.

Anyone else find it pathetic that we operate as if our program is under sanctions?

We have less than 75 scholarship players that is downright inside.

Right now every time a player is given a scholarship for the first time at a school, that school counts them as an IC UNLESS they have been on campus (without a scholarship) for over a year. (this is why walkons who are awarded scholarships don't count as IC's). Basically what a proposed rule changed would do is make it so that a given player can only be counted as an Initial Counter one time in his career. Therefore if he transfers to another school, that school wouldn't count him against the 25 limit, only the 85/yr roster limit.

Personally I think this would be pretty good, but I think it's more important to just allow schools to add Initial Counters back for players that transfer who aren't graduating. Like currently if a sophomore transfers away, the scholarship is a waste unless you give it to a walk on who has been on campus over a year...then to even replace him with a non walk on you have to use another IC the following recruiting class. Pretty dumb.

So I'd prefer the rule to be: 85 roster limit. 25 IC's per year. And If a player who has been in the program 3 yrs or less transfer out, then you are given an additional IC for the following year. Lastly Grad transfers shouldn't count as IC's.

However if the player transfers due to being kicked off the team/suspension, trouble with the law, grades, etc then the school should not be awarded the additional IC.

Advertisement
Back