Possible repercussions of fsu being left out?

Why do so many people on this site see a thread they have no interest in, and go in to ignore the topic of the thread to criticize the topic.

The OP is asking a legitimate question and wants to have a discussion.

If you're not interested, why are you here?

Hundreds of people here contribute nothing but an increased page count.

Advertisement
Why would they? They barely beat BC, Clemson and us. They would have been 6-2 at best and middle of the pack in the SEC.
Because at the end of the day, they did beat those teams and it didn't matter. I am happy as **** they were left out, but it is obvious as **** the ACC is officially not on the same level as the Big 10 / SEC, no matter what happens for the foreseeable future. Does this happen to any team in the Big 10 or SEC in similar circumstances? I don't think so. Next year, it won't matter as far as being conference champ. They would be in. However, let's see how many at-large picks will be filled by Big 10 / SEC teams and if the ACC gets even one extra team in.

I think we whoop them next year. This was their best chance, in my opinion. The ACC was down, they got every lucky bounce and missed kick possible.

I just don't want to hear them for the next 20 years talk about how they'd have won a title if only they got a chance. I'd rather have Michigan gut them like a northern pike.
Don't worry about that. Georgia is going to beat them badly.

If a miracle happens and they somehow beat Georgia, they will get one AP national champion vote from the Tallahassee beat writer and put up a faux championship banner at Doak - like UCF and their 2017 NC. lol

Don't worry about that. Georgia is going to beat them badly.

If a miracle happens and they somehow beat Georgia, they will get one AP national champion vote from the Tallahassee beat writer and put up a faux championship banner at Doak - like UCF and their 2017 NC. lol
Looking to justify them being out of the playoffs after going undefeated and being snubbed is weak. FSU didn't play UCF's schedule. They played an ACC schedule. They beat LSU. Come to think of it, they beat everyone on their schedule, in a P5 conference. What the living **** is the point of being a P5 conference if you can go undefeated and be left out?

I'm all for FSU being trounced, but when it happens now they will just say, "We didn't show up because it didn't matter." I just wanted them stomped where it mattered. I also think it's a gross injustice for an undefeated P5 team to be left out because their QB got hurt. How many of the other teams out there win their conference title game with their third string QB?

I wonder how teams will handle their cupcakes now.

Do you want them early in the season, or at the end now.

Advertisement
Looking to justify them being out of the playoffs after going undefeated and being snubbed is weak. FSU didn't play UCF's schedule. They played an ACC schedule. They beat LSU. Come to think of it, they beat everyone on their schedule, in a P5 conference. What the living **** is the point of being a P5 conference if you can go undefeated and be left out?

I'm all for FSU being trounced, but when it happens now they will just say, "We didn't show up because it didn't matter." I just wanted them stomped where it mattered. I also think it's a gross injustice for an undefeated P5 team to be left out because their QB got hurt. How many of the other teams out there win their conference title game with their third string QB?
I agree with some of what you're saying. That being said, the committee followed their guidelines in not selecting FSU:

• The selection committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
    • Conference championships won,
    • Strength of schedule,
    • Head‐to‐head competition,
    • Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
    • Other relevant factors such as unavailability of key players and coaches that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.
If simply winning a P5 conference and being undefeated would get a team in, the committee would not have added the bolded sentence above.

And there is a bit of a precedent. In 2014, Ohio State lost its starting QB before the season started, had its backup QB play throughout the regular season, get hurt in the finale against Michigan, and its 3rd string QB played in the Big 10 championship game. What is the difference with FSU? Ohio State blasted Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship 59-0, while FSU beat Louisville 16-6 on a whopping 55 yards of passing.

It won't happen again because the playoff is going to 12 teams next year. By the way, who cares what excuse FSU fans give for the butt whupping Georgia is going to put on them? If Miami were in their shoes, I'd want the Canes to go out there and prove they should have been in the playoff. It's a loser's mentality for FSU fans to say "We didn't show up because it didn't matter", which is why I fully expect most of FSU's fans to say that. lol

I get it, FSU is a wounded duck going in, and they would probably get whooped. Still, they earned it. Here's my other issue. Had Georgia beaten Alabama, or if Alabama were the #1 seed, I bet they gleefully put FSU in at #4 to get sacrificed to the SEC gods. Yeah yeah, they will say that's not the case, but you know it's true. Since Michigan got the #1 seed, suddenly they jump an SEC team way the **** up to get one in. Now it's, "Oh, FSU was just seen as weaker without their QB." You gotta know in the back of your mind that we are all being played here. Sure, FSU looked worse without their starting QB. Most teams do. While FSU was struggling to beat an average Florida team, so was Alabama trying to beat Auburn. A team that just got monkey stomped by mighty New Mexico State a week prior. Someone needs to explain to my like I'm 5 why Alabama is allowed to struggle, with their starter, but FSU is not, with their backups.

Why do so many people on this site see a thread they have no interest in, and go in to ignore the topic of the thread to criticize the topic.

The OP is asking a legitimate question and wants to have a discussion.

If you're not interested, why are you here?

Hundreds of people here contribute nothing but an increased page count.

Thanks Cane brotha.

I did a lousy job of phrasing the question so it's understandable if the train went off the track 😃

What I was trying to ask (and it's not even about FSU, per se) was what might happen going forward when teams don't necessarily have to win their last regular-season game to get into an expanded playoff (12 teams in 2024 and '25 and quite possibly more in 2026 and beyond)

Might coaches say (as in the NFL), "hey, we're in the playoffs, we've probably locked up a first-round bye ... let's just sit some key guys since it's not worth risking them getting hurt."

Another part of that equation going forward is that the expanded playoff inevitably will make conference championship games less meaningful (or even necessary).

Like the NFL and College Basketball, everything is going to be geared to postseason success.

Nobody cares about a division title in the NFL or a conference championship — regular-season or tournament — in College Basketball.

Once the playoffs or March Madness starts, it's go time and the regular-season is nothing more than a footnote

Last edited:
This is so priceless because it's the last year of the 4 team playoff. We got screwed in the first year of the BCS and were told it was growing pains for the improved system. Now FSU can take solace in the fact that this will never happen to another conference champion again.

Advertisement
Some people are being so short sighted. If I'm recruiting against Miami right now, I'm pushing the narrative hard...that even if you go undefeated in that washed up ACC school, that little league conference won't put you in the National Title hunt. You'll get left out for one of the big dogs that actually matter. This is absolutely worst case scenario for MIAMI. I love FSU tears, but not at the expense of Miami. Best case scenario for us was that they finished the season on a 3 game slide. Getting blown out in a NY6 bowl by UGA after making it to 13-0 ain't as painful as y'all hope it to be.

Some people are being so short sighted. If I'm recruiting against Miami right now, I'm pushing the narrative hard...that even if you go undefeated in that washed up ACC school, that little league conference won't put you in the National Title hunt. You'll get left out for one of the big dogs that actually matter. This is absolutely worst case scenario for MIAMI. I love FSU tears, but not at the expense of Miami. Best case scenario for us was that they finished the season on a 3 game slide. Getting blown out in a NY6 bowl by UGA after making it to 13-0 ain't as painful as y'all hope it to be.
And if they went 0-3 they'd still be pushing the ACC sucks narrative because Louisville wasn't getting in the CFP either.

And if they went 0-3 they'd still be pushing the ACC sucks narrative because Louisville wasn't getting in the CFP either.
Louisville already had 2 losses going into the game...taking a 12-1 Bama over 11-2 UL ain't a slap to the face. There is no way, shape, or form, where that is that situation is relatable. The ACC suck narrative is way different than "you couldn't even get in the title game with an undefeated team"

Louisville already had 2 losses going into the game...taking a 12-1 Bama over 11-2 UL ain't a slap to the face. There is no way, shape, or form, where that is that situation is relatable. The ACC suck narrative is way different than "you couldn't even get in the title game with an undefeated team"
You were arguing how this is bad for Miami. If Louisville won on Saturday, it would be exactly the same scenario, that the ACC is a weak conference.

Are you upset about what somebody might say while recruiting or just that FSU got snubbed? Because they're the only ones who got slapped in the face.

Advertisement
Will be kinda hard for an undefeated ACC champion to get left out of a 12 team playoff

Not entirely true. When they go
To 12 teams the 6 highest ranked conference champs get an auto bid and then there will be at large bids.

So if you rest players after you’ve clinched a birth in the conference title game but then lose and lose your at large bid you are toast.

If you rest players and lose and another conference champ passes you…you are out.

Bruh what’s up with Miami YouTube channels defending Fsu we got soft bruh. We not the SEC we don’t root for anyone in the acc unless it effects us. Where is yall balls bruh?
I'm absolutely thrilled that FSU got left out. I'm not like some fans that wanted FSU to go undefeated and potentially get screwed out of the playoffs. I want that program in a dismal state. It's wild that people are clamoring for FSU to be included from the Miami side of the fanbase. As has been mentioned multiple times, we got screwed in the BCS back in 2000 from the natty. Outside of our fanbase, no one gave two ***** about Miami being left out.

Advertisement
It has more to do with an undefeated P5 team getting jumped by a one loss team that was WAY below them in the polls going into the weekend. I'd rather see FSU make it, then get worked over against Michigan. Now, they can go into the offseason beating their chests about winning the whole thing, had they just had the chance. You know **** well that's what they will do. Even if they lose their bowl, they will say they lost it because they weren't motivated to play.
FSU can hang their hats on making it into the playoffs, since we go against them for a lot of recruits, I'd rather Norvell not being able to say that they made the CFP playoffs. You do realize that UGA is probably going to work FSU over even worst than Michigan possibly could, right?

There are no reprecussions

Its like everything else. It will have its news cycle, people will complain, and then everyone moves on

I couldnt care less here as Miami has been screwed countless times both on and off the field so pardon me if I dont care that FSU, their AD, coach or players are upset

Its football, there are surely real loife issues that deserve more discussion

I think if we were going by the best four then the best four got in. Fsu limped all year and we didn’t even think they looked impressive vs us and many other teams.
This right here. You could argue FSU going undefeated all year, they only looked impressive against LSU in the first game of the season. Against a weak schedule, they looked pretty mediocre despite winning. Had they blown a majority of their opponents out, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt as they can't control their conference schedule (they played LSU OOC, which are quality opponents; not going to call UF quality ).

You were arguing how this is bad for Miami. If Louisville won on Saturday, it would be exactly the same scenario, that the ACC is a weak conference.

Are you upset about what somebody might say while recruiting or just that FSU got snubbed? Because they're the only ones who got slapped in the face.
My argument is that nearly every facet of the scenario that played out, is bad for Miami.

-FSU beating UF: Bad for Miami as opposed to the alternative.
-FSU beating Louisville: Bad for Miami cuz they look better.
-FSU winning the ACC is bad for Miami
-FSU getting left out the Playoffs is good for Miami
-The optics of the undefeated ACC champ being left out, shows the conference is not respected by voters and can be a recruiting angle against us (as opposed to a 2 loss ACC champ simply not winning enough games).

Advertisement
Back