Positives of Diaz

Advertisement
I have low expectations. Too many of these younger coaches are all about scheme. IMO, everything drifts back to the beginning. That means getting huge talented players and dictating the physical aspect of the game. Then all the chess piece stuff works as a result of that, not the other way around.

The young coaches at lower level programs don't have access to premier talent on the line of scrimmage. It makes sense for them to go all out spread and manage 8-4 or 9-3 simply by blitzkrieg offense. Fans of major programs become jealous, and envision nothing but dominant offense if they take over a higher tier program. But much more often than not it does not play out that way. The offensive cupcake coaches don't have any idea what it takes to run the table at highest level. It becomes a Justin Fuente situation where the old Virginia Tech physical style of play has already been surrendered, and they find a way to lose to Old Dominion in year three.

Diaz is obviously not an offensive coach but IMO his defensive style is similar in terms of gimmicks and cutting corners. Too much blitzing for my taste. Too small in general. I can't imagine him putting together a behemoth defensive line with guys lined up to be drafted in the first round, like Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson have each managed in recent years.

I would have taken my time and tried to identify a young savage who has charisma toward recruiting excellence and also is fixated on the physical fundamental aspects of the game. I guarantee someone like that is sitting there in a supporting position at one of the major college staffs. Perhaps a pro staff. The Canes should have sampled opinion and done extensive interviews. Recruiting is gone. Who cares about the handful of guys you might sign in February, as opposed to making an astute choice? Gamble on greatness with an unknown instead of settling for someone among the easily available group of names.

WHY IN THE FCK WOULD WE HIRE ANYONE FROM RICHT’S STAPH?? GET THIS FCKIN JOKE OF A PROGRAM OUT OF MY FACE. GO DROP DOWN TO THE CONF USA.

Advertisement
There is a 0% chance Campbell would even pick up the phone.

Our fans really are clueless and somehow think everyone would be interested in coaching here

And you know this because you are close personal friends with Campbell? No? Then shut the **** up.

It’s not about any one specific coach. You simply can’t make this hire at this time. It’s an embarrassment and makes us look like an even bigger joke than we did.

You need to make the effort to find the right guy. All we did was find a guy who was wandering around the Hecht already.

Advertisement
Definitely a lazy same day hire, but I PROMISE U for what it’s worth, Diaz isn’t gonna rest until UM is on top again! Dude is about to live in the Hecht. I’ll hold judgement until he announces his offensive staff. Then we’ll know if we are effed for sure or not.

I am ok with the hire. Diaz will work non stop. He will be the anti-Richt. He has to let some corches go on offense. He knows this. I really do believe that Diaz will win at ANY costs.
THIS!
Diaz is about to put his life is serious jeopardy in order to resurrect UM and prove this board wrong.

Advertisement
Can we please stop using the Wisconsin game as a Diaz benchmark?

The defense did not want to be there. It was clear as day on the first drive. They knew they were hosed when Richt named Rosier the starter. They were completely uninspired. That was not the Miami defense that played this year.

The facts are we had the #2 defense. No one can dismiss that. I will lay money down that says if we had a top 50 ranked offense then we would have had the #1 defense in the nation. This Miami D was on the field way more then the Michigan D.

So poke away at Manny, but **** stop using the Wisconsin game as the measuring stick. It was stupid bowl up north that none of these kids wanted to play in, and it showed. That is not on Diaz.

A lot of people blindly saying no without giving it actual critical thought. Here is what I posted earlier today as to why I actually think it would be a good hire:

1. Manny understands that we need schemes (offense and defense) that fit our local talent base. He probably understands this better than any candidate out there. This is a main reason why the last two coaches failed. Golden with his horribly passive defense and Richt with his plodding non explosive 30 year old offense. Bad fits for our local talent.
2. He's not stubborn. The guy adjusts. In fact, he's one of the best I've seen at it. He adjusts in game, but he has also demonstrated that he is willing to self scout and adjust his scheme. Remember last year when we would be torched in the base 4-3 but would flourish in nickel? The guy went and implemented the striker position as a result and the defense got even better this year. He would identify weaknesses on the team and address them.
3. He understands that you can't just line up and beat the other team with talent. There was an article with quotes from Diaz where he said exactly this. I don't have the link, but in that article he stated that you have to scheme advantages for your guys wherever you can. Tilt the odds in your guys favor. Reading that was music to my ears. That's the name of the game in 2018 and beyond.
4. Combining #1 and #3 above, is there any doubt that Manny would go out and hire an innovative light up the scoreboard oc? I have no doubt that he would.
5. He's young and hungry.
6. He'll be aggressive. No more taking a knee before half or being afraid to run up the score. He would be pedal to the metal.

That wasn't an article. That was a transcript from a podcast that I made a thread about on here.

I agree with all your points. No one knows whether he will succeed or not but he certainly has the background, personality and intelligence to be an excellent HC here. He's not an arrogant, stubborn Muschamp type and I'm optimistic that he will hire a better offensive staff than other DCs who get their 1st HC job.

As for the argument I keep saying that he's an overrated DC capitalizing on bad teams - I simply don't agree. His scheme and personnel usage was very sound this year and he learned from prior mistakes with his coverage calls and timing of blitzes. He frequently adjusts in-game and shows flexibility with his gameplans. He's not a finished product by any means as a DC or coach generally and that makes him an exciting coaching prospect. Even if you think this year's defense was overrated that speaks more to the talent level than Diaz imo. Shaq's poor athleticism limits the ceiling of the defense, Dean has no business getting PT at Miami and we only had 1 disruptive DT in a system that is built on penetration. Those issues should be easy to solve and upgrade.

Anyone who speaks definitively or authoritatively about this hire is full of crap. Complain about the hiring process all you want but in this situation results are the only thing that matters. Ultimately time will tell on this move but I'm not afraid to admit I'm optimistic and willing to give Diaz the benefit of the doubt. I assume most rational fans are the same but most of the fanbase is (understandably) emotional at this stage.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back