Positives of being a fan of a mediocre team

Playing golf in the morning. Usually I’d fight the geezers for early tee time but since it doesn’t matter, I’m thinking mid-morning. I’ll record & maybe watch if there isn’t something better on later. Roll Tide Roll. Boo Gata.

Advertisement
being a fan of a mediocre football team is like having a really fat wife/girlfriend.

why thats a problem does not need a numbered list or explanation.

That or your Wife is fine like mine and you are apathetic to the idea of that because your football team still sucks and it affects the rest of your life. That or it's nearly 10 years of marriage. Not sure which.

19. This thread just made me realize our 10 year anniversary is next month.

20. That realization saved my *** because I likely would've forgotten. Now I must try and remember between now and then.

21. If my Wife sees these last few messages, football won't matter as I'll be dead.

Advertisement
Not caring about college football as much means you have:

I am a total nutcase when it comes to CFB - drives the old lady crazy and I love it.

1. More time to get to know your significant other and/or kids.

You apparently haven't spent much time with my wife or kids.

2. Time to take up a new hobby; consider; golf, needle point, origami, chess, alcohol

Alcohol works - not into the others.

3. very little emotional letdown after a loss unlike when your team has actual expectations of being good and loses. Consider how much the 2002 Fiesta Bowl loss hurt compared to the Alabama loss.

I take every loss hard. I have been a basket case this week after a win. I was just about recovering from 2002 and then we played LSU in 2005, not sure I have recovered since then.

4. you can criticize people for caring too much about sports and not having their priorities in order (reference #1 when making this point to a friend)

I have been trying to convince my kids to be UM fans since the first was born 20 years ago, Took him to a game in 2008. Some kid named Russell Wilson quarterbacked the other team at NC State. Didn't work out so good. But **** they call every end of game play in NFL or College the Miami play after they watched the miracle in Duke so I have that going for me.

5. You can focus more on your school’s academic ranking, unless of course you are USC and you lose to Stanford.

2 of my 3 kids think academics matter, third living in basement.

6. You feel better when a coach who makes $3-5 million a year loses a job, and as a bonus you can argue that coaches are all overpaid for doing nothing more than coaching a game. Crazy, right?

Most of the coaches are nothing when they don't have good players. Was true at UM when we were champs or relevant. At this point in my life, my memory of all that is fading.

7. You can watch other teams play and scout the next coach

I watch them. Only ones I want we will never get. Seriously though, assistants make a team. We have some good ones but not enough right now.

8. There is always next year.

I will always believe in next week or next year, but unfortunately, my next weeks or next years are limited. I would like to see the magic one more time. Hopefully that happens again.
Tell us more about the one living in your basement. What happened?

19. This thread just made me realize our 10 year anniversary is next month.

20. That realization saved my *** because I likely would've forgotten. Now I must try and remember between now and then.

21. If my Wife sees these last few messages, football won't matter as I'll be dead.
I read this and realized ours is today... at 11pm. She never said anything and now I'm a dead man arent I?

This is a goat thread. It's important to realize that we are all here (on earth) for an infinitesimal amount of time and that football season lasts just 4 months out of a year. If you can't see the silver lining in every moment then you should probably just step away and find something that brings you joy.

ETA: Real talk - For some of us the CANES have been the only escape from our fùcked up lives.

When I was young, the CANES were one of the only things that kept me from taking my life. I looked forward to Saturdays because while everything else in my life was a disaster at least I could count on CANES football to give me a few moments of happiness. I'm a salty old fùck now and I don't need the CANES to make me happy anymore. I have a good life full of joy, but I love CANES football because it was there for me when I had nothing else. I HATE the constant negativity. I have much more I could say, but I'll leave it at that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
All I have read on this site for the past 2 weeks is negative threads about UM football, and frankly I am tired of it.
So rather than start another thread about the same tired topic, lets find the silver linings to being a fan of a mediocre (my word, don’t change it) college football team. I’ll start the list but feel free to contribute. And remember, only positives.

Not caring about college football as much means you have:
1. More time to get to know your significant other and/or kids.
2. Time to take up a new hobby; consider; golf, needle point, origami, chess, alcohol
3. very little emotional letdown after a loss unlike when your team has actual expectations of being good and loses. Consider how much the 2002 Fiesta Bowl loss hurt compared to the Alabama loss.
4. you can criticize people for caring too much about sports and not having their priorities in order (reference #1 when making this point to a friend)
5. You can focus more on your school’s academic ranking, unless of course you are USC and you lose to Stanford.
6. You feel better when a coach who makes $3-5 million a year loses a job, and as a bonus you can argue that coaches are all overpaid for doing nothing more than coaching a game. Crazy, right?
7. You can watch other teams play and scout the next coach
8. There is always next year.

Those are just my top reasons. Please contribute but remember to keep it positive.
Well u hit the alcohol part dead on the head. I been took up that hobby😂😂😂😂😂

Our biggest problem is that the U on the helmet is just a U to our opponents that is the fear is gone.

Getting it back like Mr T said is PAIN and finding people willing to get it back is a whole different challenge till you purge the weak to do it.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Playing golf in the morning. Usually I’d fight the geezers for early tee time but since it doesn’t matter, I’m thinking mid-morning. I’ll record & maybe watch if there isn’t something better on later. Roll Tide Roll. Boo Gata.
I played late but left after 9. I never play just 9. Sigh.
D0ECDFFA-82F9-4F00-A5DE-D205BCC45165.gif

Advertisement
Back