Position Group Superlatives: Tight End

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Previous: RB

As the summer moves along and the season begins to creep closer and closer, we thought it’d be fun to take a look at who stands above the rest in certain attributes within each position group in the form of superlatives.

Tight End U sent another off to the NFL and the Miami Hurricanes are left searching for the next heir apparent to the throne. Spring struggles at the position did not inspire confidence, but there are two hungry and talented freshman that came in during summer ready to eat. Without further delay, here are the tight end superlatives going into the 2018 season.

Most Valuable: Michael Irvin II

After just an okay spring, I’m not really comfortable putting Irvin II as the most valuable of anything and this could easily change by the end of fall camp, but this list isn’t based on projection and he is really the only choice right now. With two true freshman that nobody has ever seen play at the college level and Brian Polendey seeing zero important reps last year and struggling this spring, Irvin II is the only tight end on the roster that brings any meaningful experience to this season’s team.

Playmaker Jr. recorded 9 catches for 78 yards last season in mainly a back-up role to the since departed Christopher Herndon IV, but Irvin II actually started in two of Miami’s most important games last season against Clemson and Wisconsin. In those starts, Irvin II proved he could at least be serviceable, recording four catches against good defenses in games where his QB had awful performances and generally holding his own as a blocker. Now an upperclassman, Irvin II will be tasked with holding the full-time TE job, and at the least can be a valuable and experienced back-up if someone else breaks out. If the freshmen aren’t quite ready for the big time as rookies, an injury to Irvin II would be disastrous for the position.

Best Hands: Brevin Jordan

Coming in as a true freshman, Jordan will instantly be the most sure-handed TE target at Malik Rosier’s disposal in 2018. Based on the tight ends’ case of the drops this spring, the Bishop Gorman (NV) athlete will be a sight for sore eyes and has the potential to be a reliable safety valve in the middle of the field (and beyond) for Miami’s offense this season. Jordan rarely drops a pass and possesses impressive body control to make adjustments when the ball is in the air. The nation’s consensus #1 TE prospect already has a very developed game as equal parts receiver and blocker, and Jordan also has some wiggle in the open field as well. I would be surprised if he’s not ready to make an impact in Year 1 at Miami.

Most Athletic: Will Mallory

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: you don’t see many football players move as fluid as Mallory does with his 6’5” frame. Mallory can make a linebacker look silly just as easily as he can blow by a defensive back. He’s simply a rare athlete, and the Providence (FL) star also captured FHSAA 1A Region 1 titles in the 110-meter hurdles and 100-meter dash, with times of 15.22 and 11.00. At only 230 pounds, Mallory must continue to put on the necessary weight, but there’s no doubt his potential is as high as the stars.

Most to Prove: Brian Polendey

While Irvin II has shown he can at the least be serviceable in UM’s offense, Polendey has yet to prove he even belongs at Miami. Coming from a run-heavy high school offense at Guyer (TX), Polendey was always going to be a project of sorts, but his athletic 6’6” frame was enough to get Todd Hartley wondering what could be. A year and a spring into his college career, it’s been nothing doing for the Lone Star state product. Polendey is an aggressive blocker, but currently at 245 pounds with his long frame, he still needs to put on more weight to hold up as an in-line tight end and truly be a consistently effective blocker on every down. Judging by this spring, his hands still leave much to be desired as well. With the two-headed monster of Jordan and Mallory coming in, Polendey is at risk to lose ground on the depth chart and will be a transfer candidate if he doesn’t improve quickly.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Maybe Playmaker Jr. has pulled his head out of his ***, and decided it's time to get serious. He made some good catches last year - and it would be nice to see him do well.

Jordan and Mallory - Ho Li Crap.

I think we have two outstanding challenges to opposing defenses.

They are SMOOTH.

Have to note that Polendey after a string bad weeks in spring did show something in the spring game though

I think MI2 is gonna take a step in the right direction this season. He has great size, feet, and soft hands, but lacks elite speed and needs to be in a well balanced offensive system to exploit individual match-ups with great technique. I think with the overall improvement in depth at the skill spots and hopefully an improved Oline, he'll be the guy defenses allow to roam and play in soft coverages.

He'll have room to roam behind LBs or in the flats this season and I think he'll make defenses pay.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think MI2 is gonna take a step in the right direction this season. He has great size, feet, and soft hands, but lacks elite speed and needs to be in a well balanced offensive system to exploit individual match-ups with great technique. I think with the overall improvement in depth at the skill spots and hopefully an improved Oline, he'll be the guy defenses allow to roam and play in soft coverages.

He'll have room to roam behind LBs or in the flats this season and I think he'll make defenses pay.

I agree he will be better, but doubt he will make much of a difference from the bench if Jordan and Willy Will are indeed as advertised. This would be a good thing for the team. GO CANES!

The recent weight loss #'s by Irving were encouraging that he's starting to take this **** serious now. We need him to turn the corner.

Advertisement
The recent weight loss #'s by Irving were encouraging that he's starting to take this **** serious now. We need him to turn the corner.

I agree. He's big in the lower half but I've noticed he's been working on his body. He seems to have a seriousness about his attitude that you hope will translate to training, practice, and on game-days moving forward. Sometimes one's comfort level, or lack thereof, prevents them from playing fast and forcefully. He's been here long enough for the S&C to take hold, and now he's got very talented guys to teach and compete with. So I think this is his time and I'm a believer he won't disappoint.

Have to note that Polendey after a string bad weeks in spring did show something in the spring game though

I'm not going to write him off yet. I think he won't be serviceable until his Rs Jr year. I can see him stepping up big time by then mainly as an inline blocker on either side of the tackles. I just hope he buys in and works hard being discipline catching the ball because were going to need him.

Playmaker Jr.

ba dum no.png

Advertisement
Most Athletic: Will Mallory

........the Providence (FL) star also captured FHSAA 1A Region 1 titles in the 110-meter hurdles and 100-meter dash, with times of 15.22 and 11.00.

At the state finals, he ran a 10.99 in the 100m.....f'uck that 11.00 recorded time in the Region 1 track meets. 11.00 runners chase cats and sometimes, catch them. 10.99 runners catch rabbits while wearing ankle weights. Put some respect of Mallory's name! Lol.

All kidding aside, nice write up!

Baby Irvin come on man...you got the pedigree and you have a nice skill set...drop your nuts and ball.

I think he's as talented as Clive Walford was

Is moving Polendey to DE even a possibility.. weight gain would be an issue.. but if he has any athletic ability and aggressive tendencies.. just a thought now with numbers and talent at TE..

Advertisement
Is he under 30% body fat % yet or does he weigh less than DeeJay Dallas? Either would be a step in the right direction

Is moving Polendey to DE even a possibility.. weight gain would be an issue.. but if he has any athletic ability and aggressive tendencies.. just a thought now with numbers and talent at TE..
Idk about DE but I’ll try him at fullback some

Before we all realize it.. it wil be the two freshman’s show... forget about pedigree ... the playmaker’s son just don’t have it in him

Advertisement
Back