Position for C.Thomas and S.Patchan?

The U Code

Redshirt Freshman
Has anyone seen in an interview where they discuss what role the staff is recruiting them for? I assume they will bulk up and play chick and Kamalu's position but I would like to know for sure.

Advertisement
The coaches would be certifiably insane if they asked Thomas to bulk up that much and play the five-tech in our 3-4 base defense. He should be a stand-up edge rusher in our 3-4 or 4-3 end in four-man fronts.

Pretty sure I remember an interview where Golden said he'd like Thomas to eventually weigh in the 260-265 range to fill that very role. Makes sense.

No idea what they plan to do with Patchan, though.

Thomas is a big kid already it's hard to imagine him as a linebacker covering people but these are all just opinions I was hoping that somebody asked them directly.

Thomas will be a 3/4 lb that never covers anyone his job will be to rush rush and rush scott is a huge kid already will be 275 before he enrolls

Advertisement
Chad Thomas uses power to engage OL- that is his strength.. I don't know why people think of him as a lb..i look at him as a guy that will be huge de- like calais. the perfect d end- strength to set the edge and speed to rush...but thats just my opinion.

a jack lb in a 3-4 basically is a DE in a 4-3. they mostly blitz with very little passing coverage responsibility.
Chad Thomas uses power to engage OL- that is his strength.. I don't know why people think of him as a lb..i look at him as a guy that will be huge de- like calais. the perfect d end- strength to set the edge and speed to rush...but thats just my opinion.

a jack lb in a 3-4 basically is a DE in a 4-3. they mostly blitz with very little passing coverage responsibility.

I get that- i just see him as a guy who ultimately can play d end in a 3-4 and a 4-3...someone huge with speed- the whole deal like calaias.

Thomas is an ideal 4-3 DE. Really hope we see more 4-3 looks because that's where McCord and Muhammad belong as well.

Advertisement
i see what you mean. not sure he's quite calaias big. that do was a freak and didn't really play in a 3-4 till he got to the pros. wherever they ultimately put him i think he will have an impact regardless.

I get that- i just see him as a guy who ultimately can play d end in a 3-4 and a 4-3...someone huge with speed- the whole deal like calaias.

I agree but I got laughed at the last time I tried to suggest this. Chickillo's career here has gotten people very sensitive about players bulking up. I see Chad getting up to 270-280 easily at Miami. He is big and strong enough to hold the point of attack and quick enough to get to the QB. He is in no way close to the mold of AQM and especially McCord....

Chad, IMO, will play SDE in (270+ lb) the 4-3 stuff, and move inside and play the 5tech in the 3-4 stuff. He is a power player and always uses his hands well and engages OL with pure grown man strength. He destroys blockers. He will have the size, strength, power, and speed to play both (as a poster above mentioned, Calais Campbell).
Scott, will be a Jack LB in the 3-4 and a WDE in the 4-3. He will be getting after the QB from both spots with a little coverage sprinkled in.

we will have TEXTBOOK 4-3 D ends on the roster with Thomas, Muhammad, and McCord.

so we go away from the 4-3 and have them learn something they have never done before.

sounds good to me.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back