Rumor Position coach bad-mouthed his guys to recruit and it got back to them?

Shogungts

Junior
Premium
Saw this in an article on The Athletic today; not sure if this was posted in another topic already, but I hadn't seen it previously...
1677609963734.png

Any idea who this was? Someone who is no longer here, but that doesn't exactly narrow it down much.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Charlie Strong seems to make more sense
If it was Charlie Strong I say good job as it apparently worked with the LB recruiting success, and was true.
People hate the truth.
Yet another truth. The following position coaches could have been accused of the same thing considering how bad the team was last year:
OL
WR
LB
S
CB

Advertisement
If it was Charlie Strong I say good job as it apparently worked with the LB recruiting success, and was true.
People hate the truth.
Yet another truth. The following position coaches could have been accused of the same thing considering how bad the team was last year:
OL
WR
LB
S
CB
Ponce would like a word with you.

Advertisement
Uncorroborated speculation from The Athletic leading to more uncorroborated speculation here.

Who knows the accuracy of this particular report. It may be true, it may be an exaggeration, or it may be completely untrue.

What’s funny, are the flights of fancy that people come up with here, bringing in their own speculative stories and narratives based on this dubious report, which may or may not be correct, and then using that as a basis for fantasy scenarios by people that have no inside knowledge.

Gossip girl, 2.0.

Advertisement
One of the players whose family I know fairly well has said it happened in the WR group - I wasn't posting or following much back then but I thought remembered a rumor that there was a kid on the team telling recruits to stay away and that's how this came up.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Smith, Strong, etc as well.. Nothing would surprise me. But it was definitely happening with Gattis.

Also you walk a thin line when you recruit this way.. maybe you don't get into specific names or be as specific in the criticism if that's what happened... but Mario created that culture (I have no problem with it - it's not ideal for the current generation and their feelings) that we're selling to recruits that what we have isn't very good and we need you. That was half of their recruiting pitch this year. Seems someone took it a bit too far saying x,y,z sucked or something if it blew up within the current position group.

Advertisement
Back