Position Change

Advertisement
I don't get how Pope looks like a skinny high school JR. I also don't get how McCloud has gotten worse each year he has been at Miami. Wiggins only knows to run in a str8 line then fall down when the ball is slightly out of his route direction. Amari Carter, bro was not that slow and stiff as a FR. He played, they blitzed him alot, I remember him sacking VT QB as well as forcing fumbles.

I don't think these guys are all talentless scrugs. They have gotten progressively worse each year they have been st Miami. And that's wide spread to even decent players

I've been saying it for over a year...maybe it'd be a flop, but I'd try Mark Pope out at cornerback.

I wouldn't even move Amari Carter's spot...he should just be a deep backup. I'd rather see his reps going to anyone else that would benefit from it...like Balom. Maybe make him focus on special teams.

Would be curious to see Frierson get some reps at corner. I thought he had some really good football at striker, but we've got a lot of young guys lined up at that spot and maybe you can get something from Gil at cornerback. Maybe if you want a really undersized linebacker. idk.

I've been saying it for over a year...maybe it'd be a flop, but I'd try Mark Pope out at cornerback.

I wouldn't even move Amari Carter's spot...he should just be a deep backup. I'd rather see his reps going to anyone else that would benefit from it...like Balom. Maybe make him focus on special teams.

Would be curious to see Frierson get some reps at corner. I thought he had some really good football at striker, but we've got a lot of young guys lined up at that spot and maybe you can get something from Gil at cornerback. Maybe if you want a really undersized linebacker. idk.
Remember when Ivey was suspended for UF game? Pope was working at cb leading up to that , he was the emergency cb.

Advertisement

Gil doesn’t have anywhere near the speed or hips to play cb at this level. He’s up to 205-210 now. That’s why I was talking Lb, throw 5-10 more pounds on him and that would be a big upgrade of speed with that position group. The cb room is actually the deepest it’s been in years. Lb not so much. This is just wishful thinking and fantasy booking by all of us so there’s no wrong answer lol.

Last edited:
Gil doesn’t have anywhere near the speed or hips to play cb at this level. He’s up to 205-210 now. That’s why I was talking Lb, throw 5-10 more pounds on him and that would be a big upgrade of speed with that position group. The cb room is actually the deepest it’s been in years. Lb not so much.
Gil and Brooks would be a solid tandem at LB.

Gil doesn’t have anywhere near the speed or hips to play cb at this level. He’s up to 205-210 now. That’s why I was talking Lb, throw 5-10 more pounds on him and that would be a big upgrade of speed with that position group. The cb room is actually the deepest it’s been in years. Lb not so much. This is just wishful thinking and fantasy booking by all of us so there’s no wrong answer lol.
Just thinking we could transfer that value and play quality elsewhere that could use it. He used to play corner, but he's a big boy now. He'd be a pretty small linebacker, but its got to be better than watching our players not even attempt to get outside...so sure.

Advertisement
Remember when Ivey was suspended for UF game? Pope was working at cb leading up to that , he was the emergency cb.
Mark Pope has 0 career playing wide receiver.

At corner...like I said, maybe it'd be a flop, but at least he'd have a chance at making money playing football. The number of WR to CB converts is growing. We can look at Sam Shields...but Quentin Dunbar, Justin Layne...you go back far enough, Richard Sherman started as a WR at Stanford. There are examples, idk. Would be worth a try. idk if the juice is worth the squeeze...but why not? Especially with Rambo here now...idk how much time Mark Pope is going to see in 2021.

Mark Pope has 0 career playing wide receiver.

At corner...like I said, maybe it'd be a flop, but at least he'd have a chance at making money playing football. The number of WR to CB converts is growing. We can look at Sam Shields...but Quentin Dunbar, Justin Layne...you go back far enough, Richard Sherman started as a WR at Stanford. There are examples, idk. Would be worth a try. idk if the juice is worth the squeeze...but why not? Especially with Rambo here now...idk how much time Mark Pope is going to see in 2021.
I’ve always heard cb’s are wr’s that can’t catch so he’d be perfect

1. Amari Carter to Linebacker? Open 1 safety spot up for younger guys.

2. Zach Mccloud to Defensive end? 2nd team or rotational player at best.

3. Scaife / Clark to 2nd team? Donalson to 1st team center or guard.

4. Rivers / Walker to 1st team. Need more strength in interior.

Thoughts

We're gonna need Carter to play S for one more year.

That’s like saying I’d rather get ****ed don’t than ****ted on... both are horrible options.
He needs to play on ST and nothing else.
One of my biggest gripes about our LBs is their reluctance/inability to engage OL at the 2nd level. Carter, if nothing else, isn’t afraid of contact. He will absolutely try to decapitate an OG coming in his direction, which should, in theory, create space for safeties and trailing DLmen to make the play.

Our LBs are p*ssies. Carter can help there. The move should’ve been made at least a year ago. Better late than never.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Man we gotta lot of Low IQ football fans who apparently know a lot. Y’all just email manny and co these suggestions
So we don’t have a lot of medicore players getting playing time??? I am a Miami fan just like you bro and want the best for the school. Some of you guys take this **** too personal and get butthurt when the truth is told.

So we don’t have a lot of medicore players getting playing time??? I am a Miami fan just like you bro and want the best for the school. Some of you guys take this **** too personal and get butthurt when the truth is told.
It’s not meant to be personal. Just stating a fact. There’s certain posters who I can tell know the game and pay attention to things beyond just cheering on the team. They actually know what they’re looking at. But when the suggestion is made for pope to play CB, Carter, hall to linebacker among other things, I question the football iq of some.

as for them being mediocre players, I agree. My only problem is ppl have to realize that’s more of a indictment on what’s behind them and the imbalance of our roster . We are not hiding All ACC caliber players buried on the roster. Now there certain guys I believe can get better if they work on sum little things. And there’s certain players I know are what they are. I also see the same premature anointing of talented freshman before they even step in the building. It’s the the same cycle that had y’all Clamoring for pope to play, Hightower, lingard the list goes on. What u were and did in HS holds no weight until u prove yourself to coaches at this level...what’s being said In these discussions like these are not truths but opinions. Let these guys battle n camp and let the chips fall as they may. When mortgages and college tuitions are on the line favoritism goes out the window at the college level

Advertisement
Back