Position By Position Breakdown Texas A&M Vs Miami

Cane4life18

Senior
I'll be going through each position group and giving my thoughts on who has the edge at their respective position group. This won't be a long form breakdown but rather quick and simple. If you're looking for in-depth analysis I recommend you read @Dan E. Dangerously , @Cribby , @LuCane , or @DMoney posts. I'll do the offense first, defense second and special teams last. I did my best to be objective. Let me know what you guys think.

Offense
QB: Miami
RB: Miami
WR: Texas A&M
TE: Miami
OL: Push/Even

Offensive Edge: Miami

Defense:
DLine: Push/Even
LB: Texas A&M
CB: Texas A&M
S: Push/Even

Defensive Edge: Texas A&M

Special Teams:
Punter: Miami
Kicker: Miami
Punt Return: Push/Even
Kick Return: Texas A&M

Special Teams Edge: Miami

In conclusion, Miami has the edge in 2/3 phases in my eyes. Texas A&M will be at home and ready to redeem themselves on primetime television. To me this boils down to 3 players for Miami: TVD, Borragales, and Hedley.

My original prediction was Miami 24, and Texas A&M 21. But with the news of Max Johnson being named the starter over Hanyes King, I had to adjust my prediction.

Score Prediction:
UM 28
Texas A&M 27

We're in the eye of the storm fellas. Lets goooooooooo!!
u hands university of miami GIF by Miami Hurricanes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sorry but Achane is on another level compared to our backs
As an individual, he is better. But I was assessing the collective group. My reason for choosing Miami is Miami has 3 capable backs in Knighton, Parrish and Franklin. Texas A&M only really deploys Achane. They have Amari Daniels but he doesn't get many touches.

Advertisement
OL and DL are still big question marks. Tomorrow will be our first real test where we don't outright have more talented players at every position. I wouldn't feel confident grading any unit going into tomorrow's game. I think TVD is better than Max but that doesn't mean TVD vs A&M's secondary will fair better than Max vs Miami's secondary.

I agree with you, except I think they are better on OL which gives us a slight edge on offense, and they are better on DL and we are better at Safety which gives them a massive edge on D. Again, we must stop the run and catch the pass to win today.

I think you’re overestimating our DL and RB. You may be right that we have a better RB group, but I’d take one superior back over what we have. Not trying to bash our team, but none of those guys have looked like a clear starter yet, and I don’t like that. Also, nobody’s been breaking off long runs, and we haven’t been facing very good defenses.

Similar feelings about DL. So far, they get some pressure, but guys aren’t getting home very often against inferior comp.

Bothe groups need to play better than they have so far or I don’t like our chances.

Advertisement
I think DL favors them and RB is probably a push. They have a deeper team and I think they match up well to beat us. We are still too slow and not physical enough and they have both in spades.

I like them to cover but not demolish us if we play to our strengths

OL and DL are still big question marks. Tomorrow will be our first real test where we don't outright have more talented players at every position. I wouldn't feel confident grading any unit going into tomorrow's game. I think TVD is better than Max but that doesn't mean TVD vs A&M's secondary will fair better than Max vs Miami's secondary.
That's fair but I was just grading each team based on the first two games. Personally, I think TVD is going to show up tonight and put on a performance similar to the Pitt game last year.

As an individual, he is better. But I was assessing the collective group. My reason for choosing Miami is Miami has 3 capable backs in Knighton, Parrish and Franklin. Texas A&M only really deploys Achane. They have Amari Daniels but he doesn't get many touches.
their two backs have the ability to break one. two of our three dont which is the issue. we need more explosion and I think rooster brings it. hoping hes healthy tonight to get more touches.

Advertisement
I agree with you, except I think they are better on OL which gives us a slight edge on offense, and they are better on DL and we are better at Safety which gives them a massive edge on D. Again, we must stop the run and catch the pass to win today.
They have been struggling mightily on at OL so far this season. Their starting center is supposed to be returning from having Mono so maybe they'll be better than they've been this season.

I think you’re overestimating our DL and RB. You may be right that we have a better RB group, but I’d take one superior back over what we have. Not trying to bash our team, but none of those guys have looked like a clear starter yet, and I don’t like that. Also, nobody’s been breaking off long runs, and we haven’t been facing very good defenses.

Similar feelings about DL. So far, they get some pressure, but guys aren’t getting home very often against inferior comp.

Bothe groups need to play better than they have so far or I don’t like our chances.
- Texas A&M's DL is very young and unproven, so I don't know how I'm overestimating our DL. Ahkeem Mesidor, LT, Agude and Darrel Jackson are all proven talents at the CFB level. I actually paid respect to thoseb unproven 5 stars they have on their DL.

- I can respect your take at RB, so no argument there. 👌🏾

- Southern Miss has a superior defense compared to App State.

- I agree on your last point, we need to raise our level of play today.

they have the better RB group and It isnt close (based on our healthy backs).
they have the better DL Group
The disrespect to our backs is real. Parrish, Knighton, and Franklin is highly talented complimentary trio of backs.

Miami RBs > Texas A&M RBs

Advertisement
Let me just put this out there.
Devon Achane is a good speedy back who has good power for someone his size. He has track speed and had an impressive 4.3yds after contact last season. I say all that to say he benefited from having a much better OL last year. So far this year he's only averaged 2.6yds after contact as A&M's OL has struggled to start the season.

Amari Daniel's hasn't really played but I'll never downplay a Dade County RB so I'll respect his talent as the backup.

On the flip side, Miami had a terrible OL and run scheme last year but Knighton was still productive. Parrish rushed for 600+ yds in the vaunted SEC. Franklin is 240lb Ford truck with Lamborghini feet.

I think you guys are giving Devon Achane way too much praise. He's good but he's isn't CJ Spiller or Lamar Miller.

Last edited:
The disrespect to our backs is real. Parrish, Knighton, and Franklin is highly talented complimentary trio of backs.

Miami RBs > Texas A&M RBs
Parrish and thad are a bit too slow. the one thing we lacked was explosion from the backs. rooster will change that as hes a threat to house anything at any time.

they have the better RB group and It isnt close (based on our healthy backs).
they have the better DL Group
You sir are correct. Their starting RB runs a 10.1 😳 They are a very highly rated and explosive team overall. They also suck balls and their coach is a *****, 😜

- Texas A&M's DL is very young and unproven, so I don't know how I'm overestimating our DL. Ahkeem Mesidor, LT, Agude and Darrel Jackson are all proven talents at the CFB level. I actually paid respect to thoseb unproven 5 stars they have on their DL.

- I can respect your take at RB, so no argument there. 👌🏾

- Southern Miss has a superior defense compared to App State.

- I agree on your last point, we need to raise our level of play today.
LT and jackson are not proven. They are both 19 year olds still developing and trying to figure it out

Advertisement
Back